The Student Room Group

Latest You Gov poll shows 7% majority for Leave

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Algren
Trust me, as a holder of a first class degree from a top 10 uni but no job, there is no "brain drain". We are as smart as anyone. We are however unskilled, as the government is not training enough people in what is needed (ie. nurses, programmers) preferring to import talent. Not a brain drain, but a skill drain, and a skill drain will be good as it will force the government to train our population in skills, decreasing unemployment.

How people can say we need foreigners for their skills is beyond me. We just need to train the 1.7M unemployed in our own country in applicable skills. So, we have no nurses, we need 20k more, ok, pick 20k of the 1.7M(!!) without a job and frickin train them to be nurses. You improve 2 problems. I don't understand how this is so hard to grasp :,)

This will not happen as it will cost money to train people. You just have too look at the NHS, there are so many applicants for nursing degrees but only a few handful places. The end result is, the NHS becomes short staffed, the government imports nurses from the Philippines and the people who wanted to become nurses lose out as there aren't enough university places for them.
The government always thinks short term not long term it's no wonder we have so many unskilled people in the UK.
Reply 301
Original post by Jee1
This will not happen as it will cost money to train people. You just have too look at the NHS, there are so many applicants for nursing degrees but only a few handful places. The end result is, the NHS becomes short staffed, the government imports nurses from the Philippines and the people who wanted to become nurses lose out as there aren't enough university places for them.
The government always thinks short term not long term it's no wonder we have so many unskilled people in the UK.

No it wouldn't happen, so I'm not sure what relevance it has :,) I got a bit sidetracked from my original point. However one can hope (or dream) that a decrease in immigration causes the government to look internally and train the skills we need, decreasing immigration, unemployment, and skill shortages, just another possible pro of Brexit. But then this would make so much sense, it definitely wouldn't happen.
Original post by Algren
No it wouldn't happen, so I'm not sure what relevance it has :,) I got a bit sidetracked from my original point. However one can hope (or dream) that a decrease in immigration causes the government to look internally and train the skills we need, decreasing immigration, unemployment, and skill shortages, just another possible pro of Brexit. But then this would make so much sense, it definitely wouldn't happen.

Regardless of whether we train or not the sheer fact we would have money back from not having to inject into the EU budget or payout benefits to EU citizens is surely a huge benefit to the UK. We could spend that on anything, most likely reducing the deficit
Original post by Jee1

Original post by Algren
Trust me, as a holder of a first class degree from a top 10 uni but no job, there is no "brain drain". We are as smart as anyone. We are however unskilled, as the government is not training enough people in what is needed (ie. nurses, programmers) preferring to import talent. Not a brain drain, but a skill drain, and a skill drain will be good as it will force the government to train our population in skills, decreasing unemployment.

How people can say we need foreigners for their skills is beyond me. We just need to train the 1.7M unemployed in our own country in applicable skills. So, we have no nurses, we need 20k more, ok, pick 20k of the 1.7M(!!) without a job and frickin train them to be nurses. You improve 2 problems. I don't understand how this is so hard to grasp :,)

Training Nurses and Docs costs a significant amount of money. Training them in this country is already heavily subsidized.

No Government is just going to train another 20,000 when it costs at least 10's of thousands a year to train one and they can get another one that cost nothing to train for a cheaper wage.

Also, not every moron can be a nurse and etc. If you are unemployed and can't get a job in Greggs, why would you think they are capable of looking after multiple sick people?

This is just common sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Axion
Again these are opinions. Under efficient market hypothesis, the value of a stock is equal to it's expected long-term cash flows, subject to a discount rate. The market is directly telling you, at the moment, that the impact of Brexit is to, ceteris paribus, reduce long-term cash flows of major UK companies.

There is zero evidence that we will recover a stronger economy. That is simply an appeal to 'patriotism'.

Holy ****... is this a person actually using economics instead of political rhetoric for once in this entire debate? Thanks fam.
Original post by moggis

I LOVE Poles and I don't mind immigration. However I have come to realise how utterly unfair the wide scale immigration has been to the poorest people in our society.
s..

Well, the Government doesn't really care about the poor.

If Poles left and wages were higher then goods would be more expensive and that would disproportionately affect the poor anyway. Capitalism will always destroy those at the bottom.
Original post by Algren
You could easily tell the unemployment office folks who see every unemployed person once every two weeks that we have a shortage of nurses, thus lookout from within the 1.7M for anyone you think has the acumen for this role, if so approach them about the possibility of training for it. There would be people willing and people smart enough, the issues however are that A) nursing is seen as a poor doctor, and not for men, two awful stereotypes that I believe the government needs to work to correct. B) you now need a degree (which is a very recent change, weirdly coinciding with the rising shortfall of nurses) with pretty steep entry requirements if i remember right. So anyone older fancying this career must first raise 30k to get the degree. Importing is just easier than correcting stereotyping and then promoting people picking up the degree, the government doesn't realise that to fork out the cost of putting a few unemployed through this degree would in the long term save them money.

My degree is irrelevant, I wasn't trying to talk about me, just illustrating a point. If you're interested, I have 4 A-levels in Maths, chemistry, physics and biology, and a biology degree. You're right in some of what you say, they give us opportunities, however I believe the government could do more to promote the degrees that we are short of skilled workers for. However this would be a long term solution, whereas our government prefer the quick fix of immigration. I am from a very upper class family, but have grown up around working class, and honestly knowing a good few people struggling to pay their way, I do believe a lot would jump on the chance of training to do a steady job in demand which provides a semi decent wage.

We've got off topic here... I've already said immigration isn't my chief concern, but people keep bringing it back, so maybe it is just everyone else's chief concern. I guess my original point was, leaving the EU will not leave us with a "brain drain" as one man mentioned, merely a "skill drain", which could be easily corrected through some encouragement on the governments part for people to train in these professions, as we have the people available to do the jobs. Failing that, if we need to import workers we still can, immigration won't be stopped, we will simply be able to only import the skills we need.

It's easy enough to say "keep a lookout for people who you'd think would be good nurses", but then that puts more pressure on Job Center staff because nothing is ever as simple as "keep an eye out!" there would be checklists and training that the staff would have to go through to tell them the qualities to look out for. Job center staff are already under enough strain as it is never mind adding another part to the job description!

Also, a lot of people prefer to not work quite simply because the Conservative (Coalition pre 2015) Government have not made work "pay". Despite various benefit caps and Income fax threshold changes, work doesn't "pay" like it used to. This combined with a rise in 0 contracted hours jobs (which work benefit systems weren't designed to handle), it is simpler for many people to not work at all and survive off the dole. If you want to blame someone for this: don't blame the EU or immigrants, blame the Conservatives. It seems as if people just have some form of "migrant tourette's" where if there is any problem: just blame the migrants - might not be their fault but they still blame them nevertheless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Well, the Government doesn't really care about the poor.

If Poles left and wages were higher then goods would be more expensive and that would disproportionately affect the poor anyway. Capitalism will always destroy those at the bottom.

Thats nonsense and a horrible statement. Have some hope in our country and believe in our country. I believe that capitalism will not damage the poor outside the EU as much as we are in the EU right now.
Original post by Naveed-7
Thats nonsense and a horrible statement. Have some hope in our country and believe in our country. I believe that capitalism will not damage the poor outside the EU as much as we are in the EU right now.

Most remainers actively hate Britain and want us to be absorbed into foreign powers
Reply 309
Training Nurses and Docs costs a significant amount of money. Training them in this country is already heavily subsidized.

No Government is just going to train another 20,000 when it costs at least 10's of thousands a year to train one and they can get another one that cost nothing to train for a cheaper wage.

Also, not every moron can be a nurse and etc. If you are unemployed and can't get a job in Greggs, why would you think they are capable of looking after multiple sick people?

This is just common sense.

We could use the millions which is currently being sent to Brussels to train 1000s of Nursers, Police, Ambulance and Fire fighters
+The money needed to build a new Schools, Hospitals every week to cope with the population boom of this country

#VOTELEAVE
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naveed-7

Yawn. I provide reasoning. You provide " I believe"
Original post by Jee1
We could use the millions which is currently being sent to Brussels to train 1000s of Nursers, Police, Ambulance and Fire fighters
+The money needed to build a new Schools, Hospitals every week to cope with the population boom of this country

#VOTELEAVE

So then you are not planning to have Free Trade with Brussels.

Good to know.
Reply 312
So then you are not planning to have Free Trade with Brussels.

Good to know.

1) Free trade with EU isn't the be-all-and-end-all
2) EU won't tariff us harshly when we do reach a trade agreement
3) In the unlikely event we don't, we only have to pay WTO tariffs which are still lower
Original post by Jee1

#VOTELEAVE

Lol. The Cost to train 10,000 Nurses is approximately 700 Million and you want to train thousands of Nurses, Police, Ambulance and etc and build hospitals.

More BS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jee1

#VOTELEAVE

So we should throw the £540m it would take to train 20,000 nurses (figure based on £9000 a year tuition fee alone and a 3 year course) on top of the £113BILLION worth of promises from the leave campaign saying what they would do with this magical "£350m per week" we give to Brussels. Also can I note that this figure is rising each and everyday with the latest addition to the Vote Leave promise list looking to be worth £4.5 billion pounds.

I don't claim to be the best person at economics, or maths even, but surely even a 7 year old can figure out that £113billion (Vote Leave cash promises) is bigger than £18 billion ( the money we give to the EU without the rebate, EU grants and funding etc.) ... right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EuanF
1) Free trade with EU isn't the be-all-and-end-all
2) EU won't tariff us harshly when we do reach a trade agreement
3) In the unlikely event we don't, we only have to pay WTO tariffs which are still lower

So you don't want free trade. That is just what I wrote.
Original post by Jee1

#VOTELEAVE

And put the economy at risk - you know, the economy that pays the taxes that really does pay for new hospitals and schools.
Original post by aidenj
So we should throw the £540m it would take to train 20,000 nurses (figure based on £9000 a year tuition fee alone and a 3 year course) on top of the £113BILLION worth of promises from the leave campaign saying what they would do with this magical "£350m per week" we give to Brussels. Also can I note that this figure is rising each and everyday with the latest addition to the Vote Leave promise list looking to be worth £4.5 billion pounds.

I don't claim to be the best person at economics, or maths even, but surely even a 7 year old can figure out that £113billion (Vote Leave cash promises) is bigger than £13 billion ( the money we give to the EU without the rebate, EU grants and funding etc.) ... right?

Well, the 9000 is heavily subsidised by the Government. The Government spends approx 70,000 to train a Nurse. So the cost is just astronomical.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 318
Original post by Jee1

#VOTELEAVE

In the fantasy scenario of there actually being zero economic impact (a ~0.6% GDP hit would wipe out any gain at all), say for arguments sake that there is £160m able to be spent. All of the below have been touted by the Leave camp.

This peddling of being able to:
- Scrap Fuel VAT
- Cut Income Tax Rates
- Commit £100m to the NHS/yr
- Train new Nurses, Police, Ambulance workers and Firefighters
- Build new Schools
- Subsidising businesses to cope with tariffs
- Secure University Grants
- Building New Railways + Improving Roads
- Provide funding for Science Research
- Supporting the steel industry.
- Local impact funds for regions already struggling under past immigration
- Arguably most ludicrous is the suggestion by D Hannan who said a vote to leave could result in a 60% reduction in Council Taxes, if the govt wanted to. That alone would cost £17bn!

To put it into perspective, these commitments, in fundamental monetary terms, amount to over £100 billion, versus the ~£8.5bn paid to the EU per annum.

The point is, and it's fairly obvious, that it's a ridiculous scheme of empty pledges to try and win over voters. They don't even have the political power to implement any of these ideas, even if they won, so they can riddle out as many as they want, and quite frankly there must be thousands. It's meaningless and quite frankly it's just as bad as any 'scaremongering'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 319
Original post by Axion
In the fantasy scenario of there actually being zero economic impact (a ~0.6% GDP hit would wipe out any gain at all), say for arguments sake that there is £160m able to be spent. All of the below have been touted by the Leave camp.

This peddling of being able to:
- Scrap Fuel VAT
- Cut Income Tax Rates
- Commit £100m to the NHS/yr
- Train new Nurses, Police, Ambulance workers and Firefighters
- Build new Schools
- Subsidising businesses to cope with tariffs
- Secure University Grants
- Building New Railways + Improving Roads
- Provide funding for Science Research
- Supporting the steel industry.
- Local impact funds for regions already struggling under past immigration
- Arguably most ludicrous is the suggestion by D Hannan who said a vote to leave could result in a 60% reduction in Council Taxes, if the govt wanted to. That alone would cost £17bn!

To put it into perspective, these commitments, in fundamental monetary terms, amount to over £100 billion, versus the ~£8.5bn paid to the EU per annum.

The point is, and it's fairly obvious, that it's a ridiculous scheme of empty pledges to try and win over voters. They don't even have the political power to implement any of these ideas, even if they won, so they can riddle out as many as they want, and quite frankly there must be thousands. It's meaningless and quite frankly it's just as bad as any 'scaremongering'.

yeah no i'm going to want a source for that "le ONE HUNDRED BILLION!!!" figure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending