The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brailey
Hey!

What do you guys find the most challenging in this unit?
As in specifics not just topics,

Cheers!

On the multiple choice, Gravitational/Electrical fields and on the written part, probably Electromagnetism
Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for 6 mark questions? Whenever I attempt a past paper and then look at the mark scheme I'm absolutely baffled by the points that should be included in the answer, they are usually completely irrelevant and don't even make sense. The instructions are very vague so you could go on about different things for hours and still miss the mark scheme points? The latest question that completely caught me off guard was the 6 marker in Jan 2013 paper. They ask you to compare geosynchronous and low polar orbits. The points they included in ms were as follows
-Earth rotates relative to the orbit (why say something quite as obvious? It clearly orbits planet earth 😶)
-Many orbits with different radii and periods are possible (again don't see the point of saying that it's true but not relevant in any way to the question?)
-Satellite scans the whole surface of the Earth (not sure if that's even true they show the orbit in the diagram as fixed above the earth, by any means not an obvious point to make)

Where does any even find information like this to answer that? The textbook only contains a vague description of geostationary satellites...

Sorry for the rant a man had to get all this off his chest.
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for 6 mark questions? Whenever I attempt a past paper and then look at the mark scheme I'm absolutely baffled by the points that should be included in the answer, they are usually completely irrelevant and don't even make sense. The instructions are very vague so you could go on about different things for hours and still miss the mark scheme points? The latest question that completely caught me off guard was the 6 marker in Jan 2013 paper. They ask you to compare geosynchronous and low polar orbits. The points they included in ms were as follows
-Earth rotates relative to the orbit (why say something quite as obvious? It clearly orbits planet earth 😶)
-Many orbits with different radii and periods are possible (again don't see the point of saying that it's true but not relevant in any way to the question?)
-Satellite scans the whole surface of the Earth (not sure if that's even true they show the orbit in the diagram as fixed above the earth, by any means not an obvious point to make)

Where does any even find information like this to answer that? The textbook only contains a vague description of geostationary satellites...

Sorry for the rant a man had to get all this off his chest.

I understand what you mean by the first 2 points but the last one is quite essential I think... It is for the low polar orbit right? It rotates about the earth's north and south poles so eventually as it goes north to south, south to north while the earth is spinning, it would have scanned every point of the Earth eventually. It's kind of hard to explain it in words. I think this point is necessary because this is what makes it useful for the jobs it carries out, and a geosynchronous satellite isn't able to do this as it doesn't scan the whole surface. :smile:
Original post by particlestudent
I understand what you mean by the first 2 points but the last one is quite essential I think... It is for the low polar orbit right? It rotates about the earth's north and south poles so eventually as it goes north to south, south to north while the earth is spinning, it would have scanned every point of the Earth eventually. It's kind of hard to explain it in words. I think this point is necessary because this is what makes it useful for the jobs it carries out, and a geosynchronous satellite isn't able to do this as it doesn't scan the whole surface. :smile:

I didn't actually think of it this way, thanks for explaining.
I really don't like the way knowledge is tested in the exam, even if you make a valid point there's a good chance you won't get the marks because it doesn't overlap with ms.
I really don't like the way knowledge is tested in the exam, even if you make a valid point there's a good chance you won't get the marks because it doesn't overlap with ms.

If you read the mark scheme, they state that the list of points are just examples of things that could be in an answer.

If they included absolutely every point that could receive a mark, the list would be too long, so instead they make it synoptic, presumably

No problem :smile:
Hi all,

I have done a Unit 4 A2 specification video going off what you need to know according to the AQA's website

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlhlBoaVF3pTIQaNkOD2obL7-dBYZobuo

I have also done some for the AS units 1 and 2 , and I am currently uploading the Unit 5 specification videos

Also I have created some more Past paper style questions if anyone has run out of the standard AQA past papers.

Enjoy !!

Will
Reply 367
https://60abffc9b401b1c0936e01291c15112cab0778c4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYVFI1YlJBOWhwRW8/June%202014%20QP%20-%20Unit%204A%20AQA%20Physics.pdf

Could anyone help me with q15 and q19 from here please.
For q15, I tried working out V when its 1m away from P and 3m from Q. Then I subtracted them to find the resultant(is this the right thing to do?) and I'm not too sure what to do from here.

For q19 I tried using simeltaneous equations, but I dont think this is right, it gets way too complicated.

Thanks
8967b72130eb40abb74ebcd2c8408d21.png

This question only had a facility of 59%
Original post by MintyMilk
8967b72130eb40abb74ebcd2c8408d21.png

This question only had a facility of 59%

Facility?

And am i beng dumb, it is A right?
Reply 370
Does anyone know where I can find worked answers for the multiple choice section on the exams (PHYA4/1)?
Original post by boyyo
https://60abffc9b401b1c0936e01291c15112cab0778c4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYVFI1YlJBOWhwRW8/June%202014%20QP%20-%20Unit%204A%20AQA%20Physics.pdf

Could anyone help me with q15 and q19 from here please.
For q15, I tried working out V when its 1m away from P and 3m from Q. Then I subtracted them to find the resultant(is this the right thing to do?) and I'm not too sure what to do from here.

For q19 I tried using simeltaneous equations, but I dont think this is right, it gets way too complicated.

Thanks

For Q.15; Before the distance between the point M and each of the charges was 2m. now; the distance between P and M is 1m and the distance between M and Q is 3m. So, as the relationship between V and r is linear; you can treat this as simple addition. If x/2 + x/2 = 25 then x/1 + x/3 = 33.3v

For 19; the energy stored is being quartered when the voltage across is being decreased by 2. this ONLY happens when you halve the voltage across it; meaning that the voltage across the capacitor when it stores 400 microjoules is 2v. Use this with E=0.5*C*V^2 to find the capacitance; 200 microfarads.

I hope this helps.
Original post by philo-jitsu
Facility?

And am i beng dumb, it is A right?

Facility is the percentage of people who attempted the question who got it right, and yeah it's A. It just seems strange that 41% of people managed not to get it right even though it's probably as common sense as a question gets
Original post by MintyMilk
Facility is the percentage of people who attempted the question who got it right, and yeah it's A. It just seems strange that 41% of people managed not to get it right even though it's probably as common sense as a question gets

Exam pressure is definately a factor i think....
Reply 374
Original post by TrilbyMctip
For Q.15; Before the distance between the point M and each of the charges was 2m. now; the distance between P and M is 1m and the distance between M and Q is 3m. So, as the relationship between V and r is linear; you can treat this as simple addition. If x/2 + x/2 = 25 then x/1 + x/3 = 33.3v

For 19; the energy stored is being quartered when the voltage across is being decreased by 2. this ONLY happens when you halve the voltage across it; meaning that the voltage across the capacitor when it stores 400 microjoules is 2v. Use this with E=0.5*C*V^2 to find the capacitance; 200 microfarads.

I hope this helps.

ahh ok thank you that makes sense. So when you need to find the resultant grav. potential, you add them?

Also in 19, when you say the energy stored is being quartered, wouldnt that be the case if it was being halved? Im assuming that when they say decreases by 2, its literally gone down by 2 volts, am I missing something out?

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me:smile:
Original post by dnan
Does anyone know where I can find worked answers for the multiple choice section on the exams (PHYA4/1)?

Sorry to keep Posting on peoples comments advocating my videos,

But I do some past paper tutorials for the multiple choice questions explaining why each option is chosen etc... and going through each option which does mean of course the videos are fairly long, but do have a look

bills7187 on youtube

Cheers,

Will
Original post by boyyo
ahh ok thank you that makes sense. So when you need to find the resultant grav. potential, you add them?

Also in 19, when you say the energy stored is being quartered, wouldnt that be the case if it was being halved? Im assuming that when they say decreases by 2, its literally gone down by 2 volts, am I missing something out?

Thank you so much for clearing this up for me:smile:

Not necessarily; if at a point halfway between two identical large masses the gravitational potential is X then if you got rid of one of the large masses; the potential would STILL be X. If it is halfway between them, the potential due to each is the same. They don't add together.

For 19; The voltage across has decreased by two, but because of the fact (as the question states) that the energy has quartered; the decrease by 2 volts must have also been halving the original Pd across it (or else the Energy would've decreased by some other amount). So; we can deduce from what the question tells us that the pd before was 4v and the pd after must be 2v.
Not necessarily; if at a point halfway between two identical large masses the gravitational potential is X then if you got rid of one of the large masses; the potential would STILL be X. If it is halfway between them, the potential due to each is the same. They don't add together.

For 19; The voltage across has decreased by two, but because of the fact (as the question states) that the energy has quartered; the decrease by 2 volts must have also been halving the original Pd across it (or else the Energy would've decreased by some other amount). So; we can deduce from what the question tells us that the pd before was 4v and the pd after must be 2v.

Sorry, I've made a mistake on the first part of this; Potentials DO add as they're scalars (In G fields that is, the addition of different signs in E fields changes this predictably). Here's a picture to explain what i mean; Sorry!
Please refer to this rather than what i've said in the quote above^
Reply 378

ahh ok I get what your saying.

Taking your example, of V at X, what about at a point not in the middle?
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Also I have created some more Past paper style questions if anyone has run out of the standard AQA past papers.

Hi,
Where can I get these from?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending