The Student Room Group

Ordinary degree in biomedical science

Hi all.
I'm wondering if anyone can offer me some advice. I left university with an ordinary degree in biomedical science in 2014, even after doing retakes. I didn't do too well because of a lot of personal circumstances. This means I can't apply for a hcpc and become a fully qualified biomedical scientist. I'm not sure what i can do now with this degree. I still want to pursue a career in health & medicine.
Right now im just doing some temp work with an agency (school cover supervisor and exam invigilations). I was teaching in a private secondary school last year but didn't enjoy it so I know i dont want to go down that career path.
Is there any way i can complete my degree to honours level?
What other job opportunities are there that would consider me?
What kind of jobs can i do with my current ordinary degree? I've applied for jobs like lab technician but no results.
Please help
Thank you
Hey OP,

If you still want to pursue the route to becoming a fully qualified BMS, then you could look for jobs as an MLA in the NHS? I know Ulster uni do top up modules for BMS' long distance (so you wouldn't need to actually travel to Ireland) so you could send them an email to explain your situation and ask what you can do to get your degree to a BSc Hons.

An avenue I tried before landing a trainee BMS job was looking to become a Pharmacy Technician. Applications tend to run from about February/March until October in the NHS, though they can be all year round. Have a look on the NHS jobs website. It's a 2 year training program and you only need GCSE's to get on to it. Competition varies greatly. I went to interviews that were really competitive with people with masters degrees applying but at my current hospital, the girl that got the job only has A-Levels.

Another area you could look into would be to work as a Research Assistant at a hospital? Very interesting job as you're working on clinical trials. When you become competant enough, you can consent patients on your own, take bloods, do patient follow up visits and deal with any adverse reactions to study drugs. You get to work closely with pharmaceutical companies and universities and depending on the job, you could work in a wide range of areas. I used to do this and I'd work across rheumatology, dermatology, cardiology, stroke, cancer, diabetes, opthalmology and gasteroenterology, but I know some hospitals will only keep you in one specific area - though this is normally explained on the job description.

If you wanted a more patient orientated role, you could look at becoming a Health Care Assistant? Again, no degree needed. Obviously you can do these while you do your top up modules from whatever university you decide. Just get in contact with a few, explain your situation and ask if there's anything you can do to get your degree up to honours level.

Sorry I can't be of more use but I can only really speak from my own experience as most people on my course went on to study for an MSc, medicine or landed jobs as trainee BMS'.
Reply 2
Original post by JessJessJessJump
Hey OP,

If you still want to pursue the route to becoming a fully qualified BMS, then you could look for jobs as an MLA in the NHS? I know Ulster uni do top up modules for BMS' long distance (so you wouldn't need to actually travel to Ireland) so you could send them an email to explain your situation and ask what you can do to get your degree to a BSc Hons.

An avenue I tried before landing a trainee BMS job was looking to become a Pharmacy Technician. Applications tend to run from about February/March until October in the NHS, though they can be all year round. Have a look on the NHS jobs website. It's a 2 year training program and you only need GCSE's to get on to it. Competition varies greatly. I went to interviews that were really competitive with people with masters degrees applying but at my current hospital, the girl that got the job only has A-Levels.

Another area you could look into would be to work as a Research Assistant at a hospital? Very interesting job as you're working on clinical trials. When you become competant enough, you can consent patients on your own, take bloods, do patient follow up visits and deal with any adverse reactions to study drugs. You get to work closely with pharmaceutical companies and universities and depending on the job, you could work in a wide range of areas. I used to do this and I'd work across rheumatology, dermatology, cardiology, stroke, cancer, diabetes, opthalmology and gasteroenterology, but I know some hospitals will only keep you in one specific area - though this is normally explained on the job description.

If you wanted a more patient orientated role, you could look at becoming a Health Care Assistant? Again, no degree needed. Obviously you can do these while you do your top up modules from whatever university you decide. Just get in contact with a few, explain your situation and ask if there's anything you can do to get your degree up to honours level.

Sorry I can't be of more use but I can only really speak from my own experience as most people on my course went on to study for an MSc, medicine or landed jobs as trainee BMS'.

How much patient contact would a research assistant get also could you become a RS with any science/ healthcare degree.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending