The Student Room Group

Are you patriotic?

Scroll to see replies

As an aspiring history teacher i concur on the fact that the history taught is very boring, especially at the younger years. i believe to make history interesting you need a narrative, a hook, to keep the students interested and engaged. Without patriotism though, especially in the British sense, where would we be now? it was patriotism that brought millions of volunteers to the front. it was patriotism that brought ships from all over the UK to Dunkirk. that is what we have gained from patriotism. the ability to not be patriotic. From a historical perspective it has had both great and dire consequences, as you put yourself.

My definition about being patriotic is to support your country and her people no matter what. To be proud of the accomplishments and recognise the failures, all in the name of bettering your own family and country itself.

Obviously you can tell i am a patriot and to be honest i often feel i belong i should have been born 100 years ago. or maybe thats just the fact i am so immersed in our history and compared to other countries i am proud of what we have accomplished. thanks for your very insightful comment and i hope you didn't mind my mad ramblings. Good day to you sir.
somewhat, but not totally.
Reply 22
im patriotic bc im happy when i go to my country
Original post by Razamataz666
sad to hear to be honest considering we have such a vast and magnificent history.

why should people today be proud we had an Empire? British history is no better than French or German. all have had achievements and negative stuff.
as a proud Brit i am outraged by the general lack of enthusiasm for our country or its history, within today's youth. if you wouldn't mind saying whether you are patriotic or not and state why.

I am patriotic and believe in the self determination of what happens in our country

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I have always been ashamed to be English.

So no.
Britain has among the best intellectual histories in the world (people focus on its military history as though killing people is admirable). That is, it was a powerhouse of really good ideas like liberalism, parliamentary democracy, common law, etc. I love continental Europe's art and culture but when it comes to politics and ideology, Britain is my home (also France but even people like Voltaire thought that Scotland and England were the trailblazers in liberal thought).

Now, granted, contemporary Britain is a backwater in ideas and so many Brits today don't seem to give a rat's ass about its intellectual history. I've spoken to English people who've no clue who people like Richard Cobden and John Bright even were. A shame, really.

But it doesn't matter. Britain gave birth to important liberal ideas so it has a special place in my heart. Italy and Greece too for different reasons (antiquity and Renaissance).
Do you not understand the concept of symbolism? It's not just a "rag on a pole" it's what it stands for that matters.

Let me ask you something: is my wedding ring simply a circle of metal on my finger or is there a deeper meaning? :dontknow:
Nice poem shame it's full of **** symbolism is in many things including a wedding ring

Posted from TSR Mobile
as a proud Brit i am outraged by the general lack of enthusiasm for our country or its history, within today's youth. if you wouldn't mind saying whether you are patriotic or not and state why.

I'm just a racist who wants Britain to stay out of the EU. Best thing about this referendum is us racists can vote.
I am proud to be British however I'm certainly not the type of person who would get a flag and shove it in front of somebody's face.
Yes, I'm a British born lad who is patriotic in the fact that I want/hope this country leaves the EU and regains control of it's democracy and makes its own decisions. This is what I believe Britain needs, its independence and greatness back. EU is a horrible organisation run by unknown horrible foreign politicians who want to control us in a bad way.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by illegaltobepoor
I'm just a racist who wants Britain to stay out of the EU. Best thing about this referendum is us racists can vote.

You do realise we're still going to have immigration if we leave the EU, right? And we'd probably have more non-white immigration as a result, since we'd no longer be obliged to accept any European who wanted to enter the UK?
I am very proud of my culture and nation. But more importantly, I feel extremely proud and grateful that I was born in the West, where I am able to express myself freely and live within an equal society. I have been given opportunities to do and be whatever I like; something my parents did not have growing up.
(edited 7 years ago)
One does not choose one's own country, so being patriotic is utterly nonsensical.
If I had to I would say Ive got more in common with immigrants than I do with my leaders, paitorism is blurred by all the mass ethnic groups* we have in this country, not saying thats a bad thing but its just the mass in population in it self.
Moreover you arent taught it in school throughout

Paitorism in my opinion is all in the mind, it doesnt exist, the false love to a land, we see extremism take place from it, e.g. from the past Hitler and german chauvism and the anti-Semitism. And in britian we see parties like Britian first, and what does that lead to?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm patriotic enough to argue that british culture beats the ever loving **** out of the cultures that come from the middle east/africa (and most of the world to be honest)
but I'm not patriotic enough to be a flag-waving monarchy-appeaser who lives the british tea-sipping football-loving "poof" stereotype
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that this irresponsible giving social benefits to strangers that come to the European countries from a middle East and Africa, who did no contribution to the country they are taking money from, will spread a Polish syndrom all over Europe, by which I mean "A government is a nation's enemy".
It's being my answer also on my patriotism as well.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
You do realise we're still going to have immigration if we leave the EU, right? And we'd probably have more non-white immigration as a result, since we'd no longer be obliged to accept any European who wanted to enter the UK?

Wealthy immigrants will always migrate to the UK. Its as easy as booking a flight and then burning the passport.
Just as poor immigrants will risk their lives and travel from Calais to Dover on a Rubber Dingy.

You can try and appeal to my inner racist and argue that there will be more non-white immigration if where not part of the EU but this is just a statistical analyst on race and its really a non-issue.

If we leave the EU TOTAL immigration numbers will fall. We will then be free to deal with Asylum seekers and illegal economic migrants as we see fit.
Im muslim first, British a definite second.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending