The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well... Thats a tough start to next season. Still, suppose playing them early is better than later when they've got a few games under their belt and momentum.
You'll probably win tbh.

Arsenal are lazy and arrogant. They'll turn up on opening day just expecting to win at home. If you press them, they won't be prepared to put in the work rate to match, and Klopp can have them roll over real nice. 3 - 1 to Liverpool. Then cue Wenger Out banners for a few weeks.
Original post by swirly
You'll probably win tbh.

Arsenal are lazy and arrogant. They'll turn up on opening day just expecting to win at home. If you press them, they won't be prepared to put in the work rate to match, and Klopp can have them roll over real nice. 3 - 1 to Liverpool. Then cue Wenger Out banners for a few weeks.

Need England to get knocked out at the group stages so we can get a few more players back for pre-season. I wouldn't be surprised if a few players aren't back for Arsenal by the first game.

Euro 2016 final is on 10 July. Arsenal play Liverpool on 13 August. If you give players like Ozil 2-3 weeks rest then it's not much time to have him ready for the start of the season.

We'll beat Arsenal and then lose to Burnley :facepalm:
Original post by Zerforax
Need England to get knocked out at the group stages so we can get a few more players back for pre-season. I wouldn't be surprised if a few players aren't back for Arsenal by the first game.

Euro 2016 final is on 10 July. Arsenal play Liverpool on 13 August. If you give players like Ozil 2-3 weeks rest then it's not much time to have him ready for the start of the season.

We'll beat Arsenal and then lose to Burnley :facepalm:

If he gets to the final then he'll probably miss the start of the season, like he did after the world cup.

Can see Klopp getting the players to do a mad ting tbh. Origi and Sturridge peeling off the back of Mertesacker is gunna be a mare.
Original post by Diego Costa
It's obviously better for Liverpool, but I don't see West Ham getting him. I don't really see how they benefit from the deal

Well Benteke is 25 (two years younger than Caroll) and has some scope for improvement. Last season he has scored the same number of goals in the PL as Caroll (although he has played 1520 minutes as opposed to Caroll playing 1436 minutes) but Caroll benefited from playing in a team that suits him better whereas Benteke was doomed from the moment Klopp got the job but still contributed to some goals. Benteke would beast it at West Ham imo.
Original post by samir12
Well Benteke is 25 (two years younger than Caroll) and has some scope for improvement. Last season he has scored the same number of goals in the PL as Caroll (although he has played 1520 minutes as opposed to Caroll playing 1436 minutes) but Caroll benefited from playing in a team that suits him better whereas Benteke was doomed from the moment Klopp got the job but still contributed to some goals. Benteke would beast it at West Ham imo.

Age is a non-factor if it's just two years. Liverpool have a slightly better squad and Benteke had more starts but they both ended up with the same amount of goals. All in all, I don't see the point in paying £20m at least to replace someone worth roughly the same.

There is also the fact that Carroll already complements Payet's style very well, so the won't need to be a transition period like there will be for Benteke.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Diego Costa
Age is a non-factor if it's just two years. Liverpool have a slightly better squad and Benteke had more starts but they both ended up with the same amount of goals. All in all, I don't see the point in paying £20m at least to replace someone worth roughly the same.

There is also the fact that Carroll already complements Payet's style very well, so the won't need to be a transition period like there will be for Benteke.

Payet won't be playing for west ham next season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci

Unless West Ham get £50m or more, he's staying. Unless of course he forces a move, but there's nothing to suggest that. He signed a new contract four months ago, in fact.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-takeover-state-backed-chinese-group-want-to-buy-club-from-fenway-for-700m-a7083836.html

Chinese club interested in buying Liverpool for £700m. Wasn't the 1st time talk of takeover since FSG joined.
Original post by mr tim
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-takeover-state-backed-chinese-group-want-to-buy-club-from-fenway-for-700m-a7083836.html

Chinese club interested in buying Liverpool for £700m. Wasn't the 1st time talk of takeover since FSG joined.

There will always be people interested in buying Liverpool. I'm happy enough with FSG for now, who IMO are doing a decent job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not many clubs who will be willing to pay the small fortune it will cost to buy Payet considering his age.

Although wouldn't put it past PSG?
We have agreed a fee from Fenerbahnce for Skrtel. £5m-£5.5m
(edited 7 years ago)
Not many clubs who will be willing to pay the small fortune it will cost to buy Payet considering his age.

They will now tbh...
Original post by mr tim

This makes me happy.

I am extremely satisfied with Sakho, Lovren, Matip and Gomez going in to a season without Europe.

Payet would cost around the same price (£20M) as vardy whom is the same age as payet yet arsenal are paying that.

alot of clubs will want him im sure he's also hoping the same. Cant be stuck with west ham after showing his performance of his lifetime

Posted from TSR Mobile
RE: the Chinese takeover bid.

It's no surprise, because businessmen are always interested in buying a business like Liverpool FC, and we've seen the rise of popularity of football in China. They clearly have a lot of money as a country, and are keen to make football work.

But I like FSG - regardless of the misstep regarding the ticket prices and "fans into customers" debacle. If I'm honest, I think their tenure has been disappointing - just one League Cup - but Klopp's appointment was a statement of intent, the stadium is looking great, and the future is bright.
Away kit ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466064103.132644.jpg
Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hate it, prefer this year's away kit, may pick one up on the cheap.
Original post by mr tim

Struggling to see how we could get any more for a player who is now 31 and seemed to struggle last season. He must be on 60-90k a week too?

Seems a good move all round.
Payet would cost around the same price (£20M) as vardy whom is the same age as payet yet arsenal are paying that.

alot of clubs will want him im sure he's also hoping the same. Cant be stuck with west ham after showing his performance of his lifetime

Posted from TSR Mobile

No chance West Ham would sell for 20mil. Vardy only potentially moving because he has a release clause in his contract. I don't think Payet has the same?

West Ham also like to think of themselves as a big club with the potential to fight for CL spots so no chance they will sell their star player on the cheap/anything less than obscene money.

Latest