The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 4B Pre-release

Scroll to see replies

It was a nice paper, the first question was a bit rubbish- I talked about : coal decreasing, oil decreasing - why? urbanizing on coal reserves, decline of secondary industry, closure of pits (90 closed in 1945/1985) but electricity is increasing. Natural gas plateaus in figure 3 - but britain lacks energy diversification, this is an issue because despite electricity increasing, coal and oil are decreasing so the UK only has natural gas to supply the demand for electricity. Low energy security and net importer therefore. Idk....

I found that 2 questions were very similiar - regulating the concerns of item 6 and the one prior to that, so I pretty much wrote the same (signage system, HGV light dimmers, seismometers, toxicity/ph/radioactive measurements of waste, replanting hedgerows etc)
Original post by Ben_Whilts
I thought it wasn't the best paper, two of the questions in the middle I thought were pretty similar! Both about attempts to improve fracking?? Anyone else think this?!

Yeah I did! felt I repeated myself a bit
I thought it wasn't the best paper, two of the questions in the middle I thought were pretty similar! Both about attempts to improve fracking?? Anyone else think this?!

Is this the cuadrilla the that engineering guy questions? I thought they were totallly different?

Agree my answers for them was so similar to each other, one wrote in past tense and another wrote in future tense... that is probably the only difference.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jessica Starfell
For the first question i discusses unreliable renewable energy sources such as solar and wind, saying the also require great economic investment. solar i discusses nuclear energy and said about power plats near end of life cycles etc. natural gas such as those from fracking are unreliable due to approval. l about some more in detail, what do you guys think? i quoted some case studies and figures from the graphs too.

Yeah i talked about very similar, mainly the kindof disadvantages of certain sources such as nuclear and renweables etc
Original post by calbrad140
Is this the cuadrilla the that engineering guy questions? I thought they were totallly different?

Really?? Cuz the first one out of the two was about how cuadrilla are reducing the impacts so, limit truck movements, prevent leeching etc and then the bit on the benefits, and the other was on what could be done to improve the fracking process according to item 6 and Mike Hill's criticisms?? Oh well 😂
Original post by Language student
Agree my answers for them was so similar to each other, one wrote in past tense and another wrote in future tense... that is the probably one difference.

Yeah thats exactly what I did hahaa!
Reply 547
Did anyone else think that exam was ridiculous? I had no idea what to write about in the first question so i was just talking about the changes that have happened before 2030 and said why these changes occurred, which I'm sure is wrong.
That was so horrible omg
I feel to cry
wtf were those middle questions ugh
bye bye university
Original post by cat000
Did anyone else think that exam was ridiculous? I had no idea what to write about in the first question so i was just talking about the changes that have happened before 2030 and said why these changes occurred, which I'm sure is wrong.

I think the first question put alot of people off... it put me off too... I only had 15mins to bs on it...
Really?? Cuz the first one out of the two was about how cuadrilla are reducing the impacts so, limit truck movements, prevent leeching etc and then the bit on the benefits, and the other was on what could be done to improve the fracking process according to item 6 and Mike Hill's criticisms?? Oh well 😂

Well the first one was heavily research based. I wrote about how they wanted to used a road that went through one of the ministry of defences bases in Inskip. Talked about the seisometers and there traffic light system. Then for national scale how two-thirds of profits can be taxed, and locally how they may get £100,000 and 1% of profits.

For the second question I just mentioned some concerns Mike mentioned and possible solutions to each
Original post by ASDSADSAD
I feel to cry
wtf were those middle questions ugh
bye bye university

They were good in my opinion, talk about what they done to improve e.g restrictions on truck movement around
peak time, there are plans for a temporary road connects the M55 to the the site. They will be using 'noise reduced' generators to keep the noise down etc. Then talk about energy security for the UK and cheaper energy bills, profits for the local e.g £100,000 + 1% of the total venue for the local. Thats is alot despite the low population in the area therefore it is beneficial. I thought those questions were good.. now watch me get them..
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 553
Original post by ASDSADSAD
That was so horrible omg

SAME I don't understand why people are saying it was a good paper, i mean i literally wrote so much bullsh1t on that paper the bloody paper started smelling like sh1t

Yeah, I wrote a lot of the same stuff for both questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cat000
SAME I don't understand why people are saying it was a good paper, i mean i literally wrote so much bullsh1t on that paper the bloody paper started smelling like sh1t

Geography, in general is basically bs'ing through the questions as long as you can back it up with evidence
Original post by cat000

I am so glad other people think this, I thought it was awful!
Reply 557
First question - i wrote how we had relied on abundance of nstural resources in past. Then how there has been increase of using natural gas since 1990 but our north sea gas running out. Now net importer so no energy security and vonerable to changes which is an issue. Then said fracking could solve this but issues with fracking and explained them..and so forth. Then said renewables wont come into play till 2030 so fracking could bridge gap. - overall issues over energy security and whether to frack. ... is that right sorta lines? .. also for cuadrilla at rosacre- i talked about how they did reduce risk but then how there were still risks to locals and eviroment. Then spoke about benefits. gov gets 2/3 profit in tax so more money to spend on national services ie nhs. National energy security and local jobs... is that along the right lines?
Reply 558
Lol is all I can muster up the energy to say
I genuinely thought that was a good paper. I answered in weird ways tho lol, started off at the back, then to cuadrilla. then to regulations, the first weird 12 marker and then the 8 marker. But i ended up with 5 minutes to spare lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending