The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Chemistry C2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Can anyone do the marks for each question?
Original post by mmgnaahk123
Nanoparticles are much smaller than normal atoms!

I thought atoms were meant to be the smallest thing in chem, lol whatever it was only worth 1 mark
Original post by jackbarry1999
1b) use a digital thermometer ~ more accurate ~ no human error

could you say censor, because censor is a thermometer.
Reply 383
Original post by Naco88
They are the only 2 I saw.

It wouldn't be the volume of the acid because that's what it was testing?
Original post by Beck9
It wouldn't be the volume of the acid because that's what it was testing?

It was testing the effect of temperature
For the nanoparticle question i said it would be better because It has a larger surface area because it is smaller so there would be more of the nanoparticles to make up the 1g than the other thing, but i didnt say in ratio to volume. Would i still get the mark?!
Would concentration of hydrochloric acid and mass of sodium thiosulfate be correct for keeping the same?
Reply 387
Original post by LeoZango
Pretty sure 1a was 5.75

how many marks was this ?
Reply 388
Original post by yaqub uddin
could you say censor, because censor is a thermometer.

could you say to use a lid/cover ?
Original post by Zhundo
I can't remember, but they usually ask in comparison to regular particles. In this case I think they asked in relation to regular particles of the catalyst. I'm really not sure though because I can't remember haha

No, that's wrong, it asked how it compared to the size of an atom, in which case the nanoparticles are much bigger
Original post by Beyonce3716
I thought atoms were meant to be the smallest thing in chem, lol whatever it was only worth 1 mark

That guy is wrong. "Nanoparticles range in size from about 100 nm down to about 1 nm. They are typically the size of small molecules, and far too small to see with a microscope."

If they are typically the size of small molecules, how can they be smaller than atoms?
Would I get the mark for saying that nanoparticles are around 100 times smaller than atoms?
And for the equipment question, would saying use a thermometer with a better resolution such as 0.05 degrees gain me any marks?
Thank You.
Original post by Benb2000
That guy is wrong. "Nanoparticles range in size from about 100 nm down to about 1 nm. They are typically the size of small molecules, and far too small to see with a microscope."

If they are typically the size of small molecules, how can they be smaller than atoms?

Even GCSE Bitesize says they are the size of small molecules:
"They are typically the size of small molecules, and far too small to see with a microscope"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/atomic/differentsubrev4.shtml
Original post by SmithAmelia
Would I get the mark for saying that nanoparticles are around 100 times smaller than atoms?
And for the equipment question, would saying use a thermometer with a better resolution such as 0.05 degrees gain me any marks?
Thank You.

Afraid not, nanoparticles are larger than atoms, because they are made up of them. But your thermometer answer should be fine because the resolution would make a difference.
Even GCSE Bitesize says they are the size of small molecules:
"They are typically the size of small molecules, and far too small to see with a microscope"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/atomic/differentsubrev4.shtml

Yeah, that's what I was quoting. Nanoparticles are definitely not smaller than atoms. I also read that a single nanoparticle 1 nanometer in diameter would consist of 31 silver atoms, and 1 nanometer is about the smallest it gets
Original post by Dr Carlsberg
Afraid not, nanoparticles are larger than atoms, because they are made up of them. But your thermometer answer should be fine because the resolution would make a difference.

Thank You.
Original post by Benb2000
Yeah, that's what I was quoting. Nanoparticles are definitely not smaller than atoms. I also read that a single nanoparticle 1 nanometer in diameter would consist of 31 silver atoms, and 1 nanometer is about the smallest it gets

Yeah despite knowing this, I don't know how I managed to write that in the exam.
I'm pretty sure the question said how nanoparticles compare to regular particles so they would be much smaller right?
anyone know if their is a foundation mark scheme on student room?
Yeah despite knowing this, I don't know how I managed to write that in the exam.

Oh well, you won't lose many marks, if you did well in the rest of the paper you could still easily be in the A* boundary

Quick Reply

Latest