The Student Room Group

What is one thing that should be eradicated from this world?

Scroll to see replies

Tottenham :biggrin:

On a serious note people who insult other people and make them feel insecure about themselves
Institutional religion. Although personal religion should not.
Religion

Although I do accept people's beliefs and they're free to think what they want, I honestly don't think religion is doing any good for us overall. If it just stopped existing within a day, a lot of issues would disappear with it
Original post by rxns_00
Religion

Although I do accept people's beliefs and they're free to think what they want, I honestly don't think religion is doing any good for us overall. If it just stopped existing within a day, a lot of issues would disappear with it

But a religious person could argue that religion is doing good for them. It helps to cope with things, to relax, an escapism. And maybe a lot of issues like conflict would disappear but issues within people would arise (in my opinion) religion is spirituality, purpose.
Original post by Kajsajbas
But a religious person could argue that religion is doing good for them. It helps to cope with things, to relax, an escapism. And maybe a lot of issues like conflict would disappear but issues within people would arise (in my opinion) religion is spirituality, purpose.

See I knew someone would say this, that's why I said it's not doing anything good for us overall. I'm sure the importance of the faith-related issues were facing outweighs the "good" individual people find within having beliefs. A lot of people miss out on life experiences because of their faith anyway, everyone would be able to lead a free and happy life without being concerned about gods judgement. If religion never existed people would equally turn to something else for the same sort of "good" and "purpose", like science, their hobbies and passions, etc.
Original post by rxns_00
See I knew someone would say this, that's why I said it's not doing anything good for us overall. I'm sure the importance of the faith-related issues were facing outweighs the "good" individual people find within having beliefs. A lot of people miss out on life experiences because of their faith anyway, everyone would be able to lead a free and happy life without being concerned about gods judgement. If religion never existed people would equally turn to something else for the same sort of "good" and "purpose", like science, their hobbies and passions, etc.

That's not a very nice nor open minded thing to say. Well hey ho, have fun with life and I will too.
Original post by FireFreezer77
Ignorance towards Mental Illnesses.
Or even Mental Illnesses themselves!!!!

I concur. The eradication of ignorance itself would resolve many problems.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I think money would be a good one since I believe it is the root of all evil.

Ideally nuclear weapons but sad fact is we need them right now.
Hate
Original post by jonathanemptage
Ideally nuclear weapons but sad fact is we need them right now.

Why do we need them?
I think money would be a good one since I believe it is the root of all evil.

surely it's love of money that's the root of all evil - economies will always need some form of currency so this problem will always exist, either that or the world would fall apart.
Original post by nverjvlev
surely it's love of money that's the root of all evil - economies will always need some form of currency so this problem will always exist, either that or the world would fall apart.

Indeed.
Reply 272
Original post by rxns_00

Having freedom isn't about doing what you want, it's about doing what you ought to.

By that same token, what you see as "free" and happy could through another person's eyes be seen as captivity and sadness. Much like the saying goes, one mans food is another mans poison.

You say they'll miss out on "life experiences" because of their faith, but that too implies that these life experiences have a shared opinion of necessity. Even then, a shared opinion is a still an opinion.

Not a single person alive today truly knows what's right and what's wrong, each have their own interpretations. When you say "overall" could you be referring to siding with the majority? Anything agreed upon in majority does not make it right nor wrong.

If a religion never existed, we wouldn't know how things would pan out, it's left up to imagination and through that we can never really tell whose imagination actually occupies any credibility. So you saying people would turn to X and Y is pointless because no one would really know how things would pan out.
people who don't reply
Loneliness and boredom.
Why do we need them?

with Russia being so aggressive and North Korea testing long range rockets and the very real possibility that they have or are developing nuclear weapons if we were to disarm they would have no deterrent not too attack while I don't like the fact we need them it would be a big problem for national security if we got rid of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cars - lets start the biking revolution!
Original post by Ua3142
Cars - lets start the biking revolution!

We'd see a great reduction in pollution levels but I don't know if everyone would be willing to resort to bicycles.
Original post by jonathanemptage
with Russia being so aggressive and North Korea testing long range rockets and the very real possibility that they have or are developing nuclear weapons if we were to disarm they would have no deterrent not too attack while I don't like the fact we need them it would be a big problem for national security if we got rid of them.

If nuclear weapons were eradicated North Korea would not be able to develop nuclear weapons nor would Russia appear to be so dangerous.
Reply 279
Hatred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending