The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Could you not just sub the value of sec X you were given into secx+tan=-0.2

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I remember the problem correctly you were initially only given the value of secx + tanx
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
If I remember the problem correctly you were initially only given the value of secx + tanx

You could also use the equation they have you earlier
The secx - tanx =-5 or something
Re arrange and sub in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNervous
You could also use the equation they have you earlier
The secx - tanx =-5 or something
Re arrange and sub in

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I recall correctly it first asked you to show that secx - tanx = -5 given that secx + tanx = -0.2
This needs the identity.

Then you solve for secx easily by adding the equations
If I recall correctly it first asked you to show that secx - tanx = -5 given that secx + tanx = -0.2
This needs the identity.

Then you solve for secx easily by adding the equations

Shouldn't the answer be positive 5/13?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
Shouldn't the answer be positive 5/13?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2secx = -5.2
secx = -2.6 = -13/5
cosx = -5/13
2secx = -5.2
secx = -2.6 = -13/5
cosx = -5/13

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dohaeris
Is there anyone else doing the IYGB/Madasmaths papers? I find them to be better practice than the solomon papers

Have you noticed that some of the mark schemes are wrong for the madas papers
Original post by smackitintheair
Have you noticed that some of the mark schemes are wrong for the madas papers

No, though I've only done papers U to Z. Which ones are wrong?
If I can only do x5 Madasmaths past papers for C3 on top of the work I've already done...

what x5 papers would you recommend for me? I'd prefer something that would have a wide range though
more on the challenging/difficult side of C3 papers since I'm scoring ok atm.

Also, the same but with x7-8 C4 madasmaths papers would you recommend?
Original post by Dohaeris
No, though I've only done papers U to Z. Which ones are wrong?

Oh i meant on crashmaths.com sorry, Paper A if you want to try it. I'll probably do madamaths papers instead because the crashmaths ones arent very reliable.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If I can only do x5 Madasmaths past papers for C3 on top of the work I've already done...

what x5 papers would you recommend for me? I'd prefer something that would have a wide range though

For both C3 and C4, the author of the papers has classed Papers U to Z as 'Hard', with Papers S and T as 'Very Hard' and A to R as being 'Standard.'

Personally, I've found most of the C4 papers very manageable, nothing too crazy. For C3, on the other hand, papers U to Z are quite difficult, much more so than the actual exam will be. Give a couple of those a pop if you're looking for something challenging.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Go for the "Hard" ones
in c4 how do you find the domain of a curve when your given the parametric equations???????

thanks
Anyone finding C4 solomon papers sometimes easier than some past papers?
Original post by michael242103
in c4 how do you find the domain of a curve when your given the parametric equations???????

thanks

You'll be given the domain in terms of t, for a parametric equation.
Original post by SaadKaleem
You'll be given the domain in terms of t, for a parametric equation.

sorry my bad. I meant when the question asks you to form the parametric equations in the form y=f(x) and then find the domain
sorry my bad. I meant when the question asks you to form the parametric equations in the form y=f(x) and then find the domain

Sub in the values of t (from the given domain), in the parametric equation for x to find the corresponding values of x, that will be ur domain for x values.
Original post by SaadKaleem
Sub in the values of t (from the given domain), in the parametric equation for x to find the corresponding values of x, that will be ur domain for x values.

Say for instance this question??
https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab1d7be0a9ba38.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQXE5T2xiNDBRd2s/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf

In Q3a, when we are differentiating implicity, the combined x and y part(4xy in this case), what do we tend to do first? (Stupid question Ik, but I get stuck in this part ALL the time since I get confused and idk why though :s-smilie: ). A minor explanation or working would be helpful. TIA!
Say for instance this question??

Can easily be done with observation, sub in the x parameter equation, a very small value of t, say 0.01 (because 0 isn't included in the parameter domain) and observe what happens to x. You'll get a very large value of x.

Sub t=pi/2 in the x parametric equation, you'll get x=0.

Therefore the domain is x >= 0

You could also plot the cartesian graph, to observe.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending