The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CriminalMinds
Erosion and Weathering. Intrusive features do not impact landscapes until they have been uncovered by erosion and weathering (e.g. Isle of Arran). You must keep in mind that there is a difference between a landscape and landform.

Ah yeah. But isn't intrusive activity also tectonic? and am I right in thinking that intrusive activity doesn't have to occur on plate boundaries?
Original post by cfcforever
hmm i dont know, cause the ridge itself (the mountains and submarine volcanoes) is formed by the creation of new crust at the surface as the magma rises cools. Without the magma rising and cool now new crust would be formed and there wouldnt be a atlantic ridge so i think its a volcanic process :/

This is what I was thinking, but the East African Rift valley was formed in a similar way and that is seismic
Reply 802
Should you write in 1st person in the report e.g ' in this report i will be analysing the impact of seismic, extrusive and igneous processes on the landscape' etc'??
also,
do they actually check that the info you have said is actually from the source you have said it is and after mentioning the sources in your methodology do you need to mention them again in your analysis e.g' this information was gathered from the Geography textbook etc'?
Original post by Chrissy.98
This is what I was thinking, but the East African Rift valley was formed in a similar way and that is seismic

the process is similar but not the same. In the mid Atlantic ridge new crust is formed by magma risng and cooling however in the east african rift valley no new crust if formed rather the brittle crust in between the plates fractures causing it drop.
Overall im not fan of this topic, the books don't clearly differentiate between seismic and volcanic landscapes rather most landscapes are the result of plate boundaries so i'm just using what i think is correct. Tectonic activity is just a heading and seismic and volcanic processes are just categories.
hmm i dont know, cause the ridge itself (the mountains and submarine volcanoes) is formed by the creation of new crust at the surface as the magma rises cools. Without the magma rising and cool now new crust would be formed and there wouldnt be a atlantic ridge so i think its a volcanic process :/

that's my problem, Im so unsure of how to categorise it. because you can say that the convection currents put pressure upwards before flowing laterally, the upwards tension does create initial height, this is just furthered with the rising magma and cooling.
Original post by Chrissy.98
Ah yeah. But isn't intrusive activity also tectonic? and am I right in thinking that intrusive activity doesn't have to occur on plate boundaries?

that is true! it still counts as tectonic activity because igneous intrusions are formed through volcanic processes, however they do not need to be formed at a specific boundary, or even on the boundary. I think its just the fact that igneous intrusions do not actually have a visible impact on the landscape until they are uncovered through erosion or weathering

my 3 different sections are convergent boundaries, divergent boundaries and then hotspots/igneous intrusions, with me mentioning that I've separated them due to the fact they do not need to be formed on boundaries
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fair.francesco
that's my problem, Im so unsure of how to categorise it. because you can say that the convection currents put pressure upwards before flowing laterally, the upwards tension does create initial height, this is just furthered with the rising magma and cooling.

I'm just trying to keep mine simple, anything which is formed by stresses in earth im categorizing as seismic while those being formed by rising magma from the mantle are volcanic. I don't know if my answers are right but as long as my report kind of makes sense it'll be ok i think. Many books and websites contradict each other and some landscapes can be classed as botu seismic and volcanic. Another issue is trying to differentiate between landscape and land form.

To be honest just try your best and go with what you have got, for me its too late to change so what ever i have drafted even if its wrong im going to use.
I'm just trying to keep mine simple, anything which is formed by stresses in earth im categorizing as seismic while those being formed by rising magma from the mantle are volcanic. I don't know if my answers are right but as long as my report kind of makes sense it'll be ok i think. Many books and websites contradict each other and some landscapes can be classed as botu seismic and volcanic. Another issue is trying to differentiate between landscape and land form.

To be honest just try your best and go with what you have got, for me its too late to change so what ever i have drafted even if its wrong im going to use.

I definitely agree! Trust me I am in no means good at geography, ive been asking my classmates questions all day. But one thing to note, which can form a good argument, is the fact that the formation of many landscapes is often down to both seismic and volcanic processes. for example with island arcs, same as the ridge,the initial process is seismic and the movement of the plates, however it is then the volcanic activity that emphasises this
Original post by T1221
Should you write in 1st person in the report e.g ' in this report i will be analysing the impact of seismic, extrusive and igneous processes on the landscape' etc'??
also,
do they actually check that the info you have said is actually from the source you have said it is and after mentioning the sources in your methodology do you need to mention them again in your analysis e.g' this information was gathered from the Geography textbook etc'?

Never write in first report perhaps instead write "in this report the". Yes you need to reference them in the analysis
Original post by McHardy97
Never write in first report perhaps instead write "in this report the". Yes you need to reference them in the analysis

I've been told you can write in first person. For the framework you need to be telling them what you're going to be doing " in this report I will be examine..."
Good luck everyone :smile:

Doing leisure and tourism
Reply 812
Really I thought Fold mountains were caused by stresses (seismic) in the continental crust which result in layers of rock within the crust folding up and down creating fold mountains :/

Fold mountains can form both at collision and convergent plate boundaries
So worried for this exam!!
I'm so confused on how to differentiate between seismic/tectonic/volcanic :frown:
Case studies I've got:
Divergent - Iceland and EARV
Convergent - cascades, Caribbean and Himalayas
Then I know SAF for transform and I just know there's Hawaii and Yellowstone as hotspots but not in detail
Isle of Arran for intrusive activity - not confident on intrusive features
Anyone please help how do I differentiate between tectonic volcanic seismic. Which case studies shall I use
Guess im the only one not going for the straight up plate boundary divide?
How did the unit 4 exam go for everyone?

There's always a lot to write about in geography exams; I realise that I forgot to write about a couple of important things, and then feel like I did badly, when it actually went quite well.
Original post by ombtom
How did the unit 4 exam go for everyone?

There's always a lot to write about in geography exams; I realise that I forgot to write about a couple of important things, and then feel like I did badly, when it actually went quite well.

Agreed. I think sometimes when you feel it went well, you try and look for any faults and then doubt yourself. I feel the same, which maybe is a good sign :tongue:
Original post by WurfWurf
Agreed. I think sometimes when you feel it went well, you try and look for any faults and then doubt yourself. I feel the same, which maybe is a good sign :tongue:

Yeah, pessimism is usually correct (ironically). :eek3:
How did everyone find the tectonic part ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending