The Student Room Group

Unit 4 Physics Edexcel A2 and Edexcel IAL

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by PhysicsIP2016

Q5 on June 2013 R

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could any help in explaining why the answer is B. Why is charging instantaneous when switch is closed?
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="ayvaak;65824885"]
Original post by PhysicsIP2016

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could any help in explaining why the answer is B. Why is charging instantaneous when switch is closed?
Thanks in advance :smile:

When the switch is closed the capacitor charges up. However, as the capacitor doesn't charge through the resistor there is no resistance when charging. Therefore t = RC = 0, which means the capacitor will charge up instantaneously.
Reply 122
[QUOTE="Mowerharvey;65825199"]
Original post by ayvaak

When the switch is closed the capacitor charges up. However, as the capacitor doesn't charge through the resistor there is no resistance when charging. Therefore t = RC = 0, which means the capacitor will charge up instantaneously.

Thank thay was really useful to clear that up.

Could anyone help me with this question. Im not sure where why the frequencies have to be compared?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 123
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is initial momentum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also guys. Im not sure how you can simply take the momentums above theta zero from those below the zero to find the muons momentum. Also is the vector diagram that i drew correct. Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 124
Im probably being stupid but i cant work out why the answer to the question is C and not D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayvaak
Im probably being stupid but i cant work out why the answer to the question is C and not D

Posted from TSR Mobile

An alpha particle has a charge of +2 and a beta particle has a charge of -1. Therefore the alpha particle has 2q in the equation.
Reply 126
I cant quite understand where im going wrong with part bii) any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 127
Original post by ayvaak
I cant quite understand where im going wrong with part bii) any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Why is the answer B? Im struggling to work out why

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayvaak
Why is the answer B? Im struggling to work out why

Posted from TSR Mobile

The charge on an alpha particle is 2+ so you have F of alpha=2Bqv and F of beta=15Bqv so then you divide one by other to get the ratio. Hope that helps.
Reply 129
Thank you. That makes sense now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 130
Original post by Mowerharvey
An alpha particle has a charge of +2 and a beta particle has a charge of -1. Therefore the alpha particle has 2q in the equation.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
Could anyone explain the theory behind the answer in the MS in a little more detail for this question?

Reply 132
Could anyone help me with derivation from s
SI units?
Reply 133
And also in deriving this? Im not quite sure why the answers B? I keep getting D for some reason
Original post by ayvaak
Could anyone help me with derivation from s
SI units?

F=BIL
in units: N = T x Amps x m (length)
therefore T = N / (A x m)

Hope it helps!
Original post by ayvaak
And also in deriving this? Im not quite sure why the answers B? I keep getting D for some reason

Hi. You have the graph of Force and time so the area under the graph represents the momentum. As you get momentum, they have asked to find the speed so you have the mass and momentum also(as you calculated it). Now simply, just substitute the values in the formula for Momentum= Mass multiplied by Velocity and you will get your answer :smile:
Original post by ayvaak

Area under the graph represents change in momentum, i.e. m(v-u) but since he starts from rest, u = 0. Therefore area under graph = mv

area = 8x5x0.5 = 20
20 = mv
20 = 1.5v
v= 13.3333
Reply 138
Original post by pinksmartiee
Area under the graph represents change in momentum, i.e. m(v-u) but since he starts from rest, u = 0. Therefore area under graph = mv

area = 8x5x0.5 = 20
20 = mv
20 = 1.5v
v= 13.3333

Original post by sabahshahed294
Hi. You have the graph of Force and time so the area under the graph represents the momentum. As you get momentum, they have asked to find the speed so you have the mass and momentum also(as you calculated it). Now simply, just substitute the values in the formula for Momentum= Mass multiplied by Velocity and you will get your answer :smile:

Original post by pinksmartiee
F=BIL
in units: N = T x Amps x m (length)
therefore T = N / (A x m)

Hope it helps!

Thanks so much guys :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also.. Q15)a)iii) and
Q16b)ii) I don't know where the markscheme got p = E/c from..

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2013/Exam%20materials/6PH04_01_que_20110127.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending