The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pablo Picasso
Do you realise that the petitions, which occur every year are a joke (?) AQA will not release a new paper, ever, and grade boundaries will stay the same or around the same as last year as this is the last iteration of the specification. All the emails that being sent, will not be taken into consideration at all. Do you think that the papers were written last minute?

Preach
Can someone quote this with hard/complex questions for C4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody have good resources for hard core 4 questions, harder than past paper ones of course..
It's mathematical ingenuity.

it doesn't take a genius to work that out. the issue was TIMING. there simply wasn't enough time to understand and complete everything correctly
Original post by modotta
Does anybody have good resources for hard core 4 questions, harder than past paper ones of course..

Have a look at Edexcel C4 Solomon question papers. They are not much different from AQA.
Original post by 09876543211
Have a look at Edexcel C4 Solomon question papers. They are not much different from AQA.

I would say do Solomon papers too but I did that for C3 and I got ****ed over by AQA anyway...
Original post by ILuvAipomZ
i did this in my mock for june 15 and i only got 4/7, it was awful xD

Ahh, feels pretty bad because I've never done a substitution wrong, still think at the most I dropped 11 marks so hoping for an A*
Try to learn the concept rather than just doing past papers.
The Q about secx-tanx ....... has never came up before but if you understand trigonometry, i.e (secx + tanx)(sex - tanx) = 1 should not appear too alien

Questions like this are supposed to be in the paper, but only one or two so as to seperate A/A* students from everybody else
Since there were very few middle ground questions, students capable of Bs and Cs wont be distinguishable from those capable of Ds and Es
Original post by Faz The Poet
Questions like this are supposed to be in the paper, but only one or two so as to seperate A/A* students from everybody else
Since there were very few middle ground questions, students capable of Bs and Cs wont be distinguishable from those capable of Ds and Es

That wasn't an A* question, sorry. I think what you did was only revise from past paper/s without comprehending the underlying concept
I remember last year A2 students were shocked by their C3 exam too, which now seems like a joke. But they have had a really nice c4 paper, so let's hope we get a good one as well. Couple of difficult questions is OK providing they give us enough time to solve them, but it's horrible when one half of paper is time consuming and doesn't give many marks, and the second half is ridiculous and you only have 1/3 of the time to do it.
Original post by TG7
I feel exactly the same, I'm a mother too, and feel helpless that so many students are imagining their lives to be altered over the course of 90 minutes. Exams should be a fair test of knowledge and skill, and if the student is well prepared, the majority should feel confident they have given it their best. My daughter said she did not get a chance to show the extent of her knowledge which is a ridiculous position to put a 17 year old in.

Hi I'm a mum to & devastated for these poor kids. We live in Spain, my daughter studies alone......I'm desperate for feedback from teachers. Can anyone tell me what their opinions are.
Original post by AkeebSaberi
That paper has completely knocked my confidence for my remaining exams, and all are considered more difficult than Core 3 by most. Its a shame that we haven't been given the slightest of opportunities to show what we are capable of, since all of us had potential to be successful, and AQA are trying to snatch this opportunity away from us through the papers they have set for both Core 3, Chem 4, and other papers.

Whats worse is that people from other exam boards will have normal papers, and so people will achieve the grades they deserve through their exam boards, but we are less likely too. Having a non standardised method of examining students across the UK completely skews everything, as universities look at the grades, and not the grades paired with the exam boards.

Its such a shame that such a paper has even existed. I think its one of the few times where almost everyone agrees the paper was unfair. I hope AQA see the opinions of the students, and takes action to sort this issue.

It wasn't an unfair paper at all, hard papers are supposed to allow those who have initiative and potential to perform well in the exam. Having exams which remain the same in difficulty and questions defeats the purpose of an exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,

Look i'll start of by saying, yes, the 2016 Core 3 paper is by far the most challenge paper AQA have made to date.

As a retake student who last year came out with a D in core 3, i found the paper challenging but not impossible. from looking at the unofficial mark scheme i'm happy with my results and i'm still hoping on getting into my uni this year.

I do feel sympathy for all the students who felt they didn't do very well this year but overall everything in the paper was from the Core 3 specification even though it did require much thought in completing the questions.

Personally i don't feel AQA will change the Grade boundaries too drastically maybe reduce by a few marks, further i don't feel they will submit candidates a new paper.

My advice to candidates who felt they didn't do well in this paper is to forget about it, revise like crazy for Core 4 and instead of just following formula try and understand why you use the formula and why you follow a method to answer a question, there is probably a high chance they will over complicate easy questions.

Don't count on AQA changing things but good luck in your further exams.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
It wasn't an unfair paper at all, hard papers are supposed to allow those who have initiative and potential to perform well in the exam. Having a exams which remain the same in difficulty and questions defeats the purpose of an exam.

Grade boundaries will lower? I think I got 53-56 marks, so a B, maybe scraping an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also how many marks were the first and second questions worth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yo12345
Grade boundaries will lower? I think I got 53-56 marks, so a B, maybe scraping an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what I reckon the grade boundaries will be like:

62 - A*
55 - A
50 - B

It was a more challenging paper than last years but not by much. i reckon the actual GB will be as above +-1.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
This is what I reckon the grade boundaries will be like:

62 - A*
55 - A
50 - B

It was a more challenging paper than last years but not by much. i reckon the actual GB will be as above +-1.

That's be ok. Got 278 ums last year, so need BBC for an A, so hopefully got 80 ums on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
Daaaayummmm :frown: You've just made me feel even worse

Everyone seems to be making the same mistake on this question. The equation you're given to solve, sec (2x-70) - tan (2x-70) = -5 does imply that cos (2x-70) = -5/13, as everyone said. But, not all the values for x in the range give a solution, because when cos (2x-70) = -5/13, sin x can have two values, depending on x. There were two values of x in the range for which cos(2x-70)=-5/13, but only one was a solution (around -21 degrees). This pissed me off because the question stated find all solutions in the range, not one.
That wasn't an A* question, sorry. I think what you did was only revise from past paper/s without comprehending the underlying concept

Im not saying that in particular, im saying the paper as a whole. I did fine myself, but my parents are examiners and I know that with any paper, you do a couple easy ones, mostly middle ground generic questions that deminstrate basic knowledge of the concepts as a whole, and THEN one or two questions to show a deeper understanding of the subjects.
Stop acting as if because you did well anyone who did badly is stupid, wait until you get to university
Try to learn the concept rather than just doing past papers.
The Q about secx-tanx ....... has never came up before but if you understand trigonometry, i.e (secx + tanx)(sex - tanx) = 1 should not appear too alien

Yeah, people expect to see what they know, or to be nudged in the right direction, not to use any new ideas. To be fair, the past papers indicate you can get by (not only get by but get A*) like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending