The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Westminster vs. City?

Hi all, I'm a foreign student looking for some advice from locals!I have unconditional offers from City (Communications MA) and Westminster (Public Relations MA). Does anyone have thoughts about these? Good or bad. All the online threads I have read so far seem very mixed. I've also been offered a place at King's College for Digital Culture & Society but I think that's 3rd place for preference right now.Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by drajan
Hi all, I'm a foreign student looking for some advice from locals!I have unconditional offers from City (Communications MA) and Westminster (Public Relations MA). Does anyone have thoughts about these? Good or bad. All the online threads I have read so far seem very mixed. I've also been offered a place at King's College for Digital Culture & Society but I think that's 3rd place for preference right now.Thanks!

Based on ranking King's College is the best and Westminster is the worst. But I also heard that City is one of the best unis for Journalism and Communications.

Overall ranking shows that King's is 21st best in the UK, City is 40th, and Westminster is 102nd. Have a look here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

You could also choose a certain subject there and see ranking for that specific subject that interests you.
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by olyak
Based on ranking King's College is the best and Westminster is the worst. But I also heard that City is one of the best unis for Journalism and Communications.

Overall ranking shows that King's is 21st best in the UK, City is 40th, and Westminster is 102nd. Have a look here: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

You could also choose a certain subject there and see ranking for that specific subject that interests you.

Honestly it's not about the ranking it's about where you feel comfortable I say go with your gut feeling
Reply 3
Original post by LivvyLee4
Honestly it's not about the ranking it's about where you feel comfortable I say go with your gut feeling

I agree. But if you don't have an opportunity to visit a university, then it would be difficult to understand how you'd feel there. Meanwhile ranking is based on students' feedback as well as other components like how many teachers, professors and other staff a university has and how qualified they are, overall students' grades across all courses, employability upon the graduation etc. So I would say that ranking it is a good indicator when you are not sure which university to choose.
Original post by olyak
I agree. But if you don't have an opportunity to visit a university, then it would be difficult to understand how you'd feel there. Meanwhile ranking is based on students' feedback as well as other components like how many teachers, professors and other staff a university has and how qualified they are, overall students' grades across all courses, employability upon the graduation etc. So I would say that ranking it is a good indicator when you are not sure which university to choose.

I get what your saying but my friend is 23 went to a **** uni done really well now is earning a great amount of money for his age I think it's about what your willing to do for yourself but I could understand why you'd want the best for yourself and that's fine but I would go wherever the wind takes you
Reply 5
Thank you all for your input.

I think the reason why I feel so strongly for City is that it is so job oriented unlike the other programs that are more research focused. But the UK is a tough market to understand. The top program in my field (Communications) for example is Newcastle but all my British friends find this hilarious for whatever reason and strongly discouraged me from applying.
Reply 6
Original post by drajan
Thank you all for your input.

I think the reason why I feel so strongly for City is that it is so job oriented unlike the other programs that are more research focused. But the UK is a tough market to understand. The top program in my field (Communications) for example is Newcastle but all my British friends find this hilarious for whatever reason and strongly discouraged me from applying.

Listen to your gut then, City is definitely not a bad place I have friends from there they are loving it!
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending