The Student Room Group

How hard are A levels?

The reason for asking is because I live in Scotland and we don't have A Levels up here.

Anyways I have a friend down in England that is currently holding conditionals for Dentistry courses across England. I know his requirements are to get 3 A's, how are is it to achieve this?

Has anyone achieved this? If so how was your experience with A Levels?

Also what kind of grade you could expect the majority folk to get in their A Levels?

Would be interested in knowing.

Cheers guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not that hard. Do not believe the hype.
Depends on each subjects i guess.
Reply 3
Original post by Lord_lemon_head
The reason for asking is because I live in Scotland and we don't have A Levels up here.

Anyways I have a friend down in England that is currently holding conditionals for Dentistry courses across England. I know his requirements are to get 3 A's, how are is it to achieve this?

Has anyone achieved this? If so how was your experience with A Levels?

Also what kind of grade you could expect the majority folk to get in their A Levels?

Would be interested in knowing.

Cheers guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've moved your thread to the A-level forum :wink:

The "average" grade is C.

And results do depend on the subject, but on average 8% get A*, 18% A, 27% B, 24% C, 15% D, 6% E

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
Reply 4
Depends completely on the person. I'm on track get AAA with quite a bit of work but not absolutely insane amounts. Others could do less work than this, others would have to do a heck of a lot more. It's difficult to say how 'hard' they are because some people will find them so much more difficult, depends on the subjects too.
Original post by jneill
I've moved your thread to the A-level forum :wink:

The "average" grade is C.

And results do depend on the subject, but on average 8% get A*, 18% A, 27% B, 24% C, 15% D, 6% E

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

Thank you good sir :smile:

The link is very handy, just what I was looking for, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
A levels were hard for me, the level of knowledge they expect is a lot higher than GCSEs so yes the jump up is big. But I did all essay-based subjects politics, French, English literature and economics so there was a lot of writing to a high standard and being concise. It probably just depends on the person. I know people in my classes who are a lot better than me, and people who have dropped out. I don't know about the new system though, ask again next year lol

Quick Reply

Latest