The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Muslim girl in warwick accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onica
Okay, thanks.:smile: I was told by email from the accommodation team that they change every year, is that true?? I mean I am able to apply for at least five, so I should get one, right? I'm not saying that I want a hall with Muslims, I don't mind if its non-Muslims, it's just I want it to be all girls.
Just out of interest,were there many Muslims in your fist year??

Also, how many rooms are there roughly per bloc/ hall??

Thanks for replying :smile:

Hmm... I've never heard that. I always hear that it's Tocil. It makes no sense to me why they'd change it annually. All of my friends who lived in Tocil said it was mainly Muslim girls and that they were excluded because of it because the Muslim girls only wanted to talk to each other. I think this was probably because some of them were from out of the country and spoke their own language, so it probably wasn't deliberately to be cruel. But each of them were in a flat as a non-Muslim with all Muslim females.

In my building, I saw a few obvious, headscarf wearing Muslim girls but they didn't live in my flat. I lived in Lakeside. My flat was almost all male. In the flats those Muslim girls lived it, it was all female so it looks like most of the Muslim girls get to be with all girls.

Tocil does 6, 9 and 12 person flats. Lakeside has 8 person flats. You're welcome :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Original post by EllainKahlo
Hmm... I've never heard that. I always hear that it's Tocil. It makes no sense to me why they'd change it annually. All of my friends who lived in Tocil said it was mainly Muslim girls and that they were excluded because of it because the Muslim girls only wanted to talk to each other. I think this was probably because some of them were from out of the country and spoke their own language, so it probably wasn't deliberately to be cruel. But each of them were in a flat as a non-Muslim with all Muslim females.

In my building, I saw a few obvious, headscarf wearing Muslim girls but they didn't live in my flat. I lived in Lakeside. My flat was almost all male. In the flats those Muslim girls lived it, it was all female so it looks like most of the Muslim girls get to be with all girls.

Tocil does 6, 9 and 12 person flats. Lakeside has 8 person flats. You're welcome :smile:

Thanks again.
One last thing, when we have chosen our preferences, are we only given only one offer from that ones that we chose?

It said on the website that they randomly allocate halls through computer after you have stated your preferences. So does that mean that even if I choose halls with single sex ( which I'll have to have determine by last years accommodation website) even if I state a preference for 'single-sex' I might not get one. Will I not get priority for it if I state that in my application for religious reasons??

I'm just so worried now, if they were clear before, then I would have not made them my firm.

Can I also transfer halls if I am not allocated for one??
Reply 22

Oh also, does lakeside have single-sex flats because from last year it said that they do.

Thanks
Original post by Onica
Thanks again.
One last thing, when we have chosen our preferences, are we only given only one offer from that ones that we chose?

It said on the website that they randomly allocate halls through computer after you have stated your preferences. So does that mean that even if I choose halls with single sex ( which I'll have to have determine by last years accommodation website) even if I state a preference for 'single-sex' I might not get one. Will I not get priority for it if I state that in my application for religious reasons??

I'm just so worried now, if they were clear before, then I would have not made them my firm.

Can I also transfer halls if I am not allocated for one??

Original post by Onica
Oh also, does lakeside have single-sex flats because from last year it said that they do.

Thanks

You don't get a choice after they reply to your preferences. You either take it or you don't get a room until you're given what is left over on the waiting list, which could be an even worse option, so I don't advise complaining about the offer. It will just say something like "You have been allocated Tocil." and that's it, with a very small contact number at the bottom of the email and a warning about being placed on the waiting list if you don't accept it within a few days and sign an online contract.

I'm not sure how much they care about religious reasons honestly. Because while I get Islamic and other religious reasons for wanting to be segregated, you sleeping in the same building as a non-Muslim or a guy is not proven to interrupt your life in any way. And even if you get a single sex flat, that 100% does not mean the flats surrounding you will be too. My flat was almost completely male yet the ones at either side of me were all female and all the ones below me were all male. I didn't like my flatmates but not because they were male, we just had nothing in common. So we co-existed fine, we just never spoke and avoided each other.You can transfer halls, yes. Even if they say there's a cut off point, there really isn't, as long as another room is available. Only if there are no other rooms will they just completely say no. I'm pretty sure Lakeside doesn't do single sex flats. The issue is, I didn't even know that Tocil did single sex areas before I began, because the university doesn't communicate their allocation process very well. I didn't even get my first choice even though I had special circumstances too, I just had to live with it. So I doubt they will treat you any differently. All of my friends, didn't get what they most wanted.
Reply 24
You don't get a choice after they reply to your preferences. You either take it or you don't get a room until you're given what is left over on the waiting list, which could be an even worse option, so I don't advise complaining about the offer. It will just say something like "You have been allocated Tocil." and that's it, with a very small contact number at the bottom of the email and a warning about being placed on the waiting list if you don't accept it within a few days and sign an online contract.

I'm not sure how much they care about religious reasons honestly. Because while I get Islamic and other religious reasons for wanting to be segregated, you sleeping in the same building as a non-Muslim or a guy is not proven to interrupt your life in any way. And even if you get a single sex flat, that 100% does not mean the flats surrounding you will be too. My flat was almost completely male yet the ones at either side of me were all female and all the ones below me were all male. I didn't like my flatmates but not because they were male, we just had nothing in common. So we co-existed fine, we just never spoke and avoided each other.You can transfer halls, yes. Even if they say there's a cut off point, there really isn't, as long as another room is available. Only if there are no other rooms will they just completely say no. I'm pretty sure Lakeside doesn't do single sex flats. The issue is, I didn't even know that Tocil did single sex areas before I began, because the university doesn't communicate their allocation process very well. I didn't even get my first choice even though I had special circumstances too, I just had to live with it. So I doubt they will treat you any differently. All of my friends, didn't get what they most wanted.

So I only get one preference/ offer for one hall when that reply and will it say that its same -sex??

So I might not even get into a single-sex flat even if it's for religious reasons. Oh God, what do I do now!?

I don't want to go to Warwick now.
Hoping now that I get into my insurance instead as I don't think I'll meet the requirement. My insurance is a little closer to home, so I'll take a train.
Reply 25

How should I apply then ?
Should I put Tocil as my first choice??

I had a look at the website, and it did say that Lakeside had single sex areas, but I don't know.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/lakeside
So is it haram to be around guys or something?
Reply 27
Original post by loveleest
So is it haram to be around guys or something?

Please don't take it on a wrong way, or that we are trying to keep ourselves segregated, but it's because Women in Islam should protect their modesty as you know anything can happen when girls and boys are together.

It's not that we hate men lol
Original post by Onica
Please don't take it on a wrong way, or that we are trying to keep ourselves segregated, but it's because Women in Islam should protect their modesty as you know anything can happen when girls and boys are together.

It's not that we hate men lol

So in other words, you are not allowed to interact with guys/make friends with them?
Reply 29
So in other words, you are not allowed to interact with guys/make friends with them?

Well we can interact talk if necessary, I mean in class I might need some notes so of course I'll have to interact or if I'm working in a group. But becoming too friendly can lead to like close relationships like a boyfriend girlfriend relationships which is not acceptable and therefore it's best not to get too friendly. It's just best to protect ones modesty.
Original post by Onica
So I only get one preference/ offer for one hall when that reply and will it say that its same -sex??

So I might not even get into a single-sex flat even if it's for religious reasons. Oh God, what do I do now!?

I don't want to go to Warwick now.
Hoping now that I get into my insurance instead as I don't think I'll meet the requirement. My insurance is a little closer to home, so I'll take a train.

Original post by Onica
How should I apply then ?
Should I put Tocil as my first choice??

I had a look at the website, and it did say that Lakeside had single sex areas, but I don't know.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/lakeside

You'll have to check on the website when you get a reply. I would just go by whatever the website says, so whichever says single-sex, pick those in the order you want. Are you seriously going to withdraw your offer just because of that?

Go through all of them, make note of the single sex ones and put those in order on your application. I know you're Muslim but it really isn't that big of a deal, they do let some people who apply have single sex. I didn't say it can't happen, but it depends on how many people request single sex and how quickly you apply. Make sure you fill in your application mentioning your religious circumstances.
Reply 31
You'll have to check on the website when you get a reply. I would just go by whatever the website says, so whichever says single-sex, pick those in the order you want. Are you seriously going to withdraw your offer just because of that?

Go through all of them, make note of the single sex ones and put those in order on your application. I know you're Muslim but it really isn't that big of a deal, they do let some people who apply have single sex. I didn't say it can't happen, but it depends on how many people request single sex and how quickly you apply. Make sure you fill in your application mentioning your religious circumstances.

Lakeside said single-sex on the website, but like you said didn't have any.

Okay, I'll see what I can do, but it's really important for me.

Thanks again
Original post by Onica

Thanks again

You're welcome. Good luck.
Original post by Onica
I know this is silly, but how would I privately rent??

Look at estate agent websites eg right move or gumtree for house shares!
Reply 34
Original post by Onica

Thanks again

Dont worry, hoping that we get it, even i applied for single sex area and my first preference is lakeside, I mentioned in brief description that i would like to have single sex area, where at least 4-5 room mates are girls irrespective of their religion. Have you emailed in to Warwick accommodation for confirmation regarding single sex area. We would think of a substitute later on in august and yeah one of my close postgrad studying at warwick has mentioned they do have single sex area at one side in most of their residences.

This thread is about accommodation. Many girls prefer to be with fellow girls. After all, it is their living quarters and they are likely to share kitchens and possibly bathrooms too. People usually prefer to live with people who have something in common so it makes sense.
Original post by Galaxie501
Nothing better than self imposed segregation, amirite?Imagine the **** storm if someone asked for "white only" roomates or "preferably non muslims".

Again, single sex accommodation is very common.
Reply 36
Original post by Ellia T
Dont worry, hoping that we get it, even i applied for single sex area and my first preference is lakeside, I mentioned in brief description that i would like to have single sex area, where at least 4-5 room mates are girls irrespective of their religion. Have you emailed in to Warwick accommodation for confirmation regarding single sex area. We would think of a substitute later on in august and yeah one of my close postgrad studying at warwick has mentioned they do have single sex area at one side in most of their residences.

I really don't know what I will do in August for accommodation. I emailed them but they said that they can't gurantee even on religious grounds because the uni is diverse and didn't give me any info on on the places that have single-sex. Do you know which places do?? Did you get any confirmation after you applied??

Thank you sis.
Jazak'Allah
Original post by Legendary Quest
This thread is about accommodation. Many girls prefer to be with fellow girls. After all, it is their living quarters and they are likely to share kitchens and possibly bathrooms too. People usually prefer to live with people who have something in common so it makes sense.

I am aware of that. It's just that the OP highlighted "Muslim" so it sounded as if, if you are a Muslim you have to have a single sex accommodation by default, which is why I asked that.
I am aware of that. It's just that the OP highlighted "Muslim" so it sounded as if, if you are a Muslim you have to have a single sex accommodation by default, which is why I asked that.

Well it sort of does make sense. If you wear a hijab then it's probably more convenient to be with ladies. :tongue:
Original post by Legendary Quest
Well it sort of does make sense. If you wear a hijab then it's probably more convenient to be with ladies. :tongue:

I guess so. Still think it's weird how Islam acts as if it's a sin for both sexes to interact with each other though.
:dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest