The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I got full ums for 2015 mock, lucky if I get a C now. 🙃
My maths teacher did the paper too (he does every core paper every year just for the heck of it) and there was one question he couldn't do in the time alloted
This was the last time this spec would be done, instead of giving a nice easy exam they made it super hard
Original post by mrmega1
Everyone seems to be making the same mistake on this question. The equation you're given to solve, sec (2x-70) - tan (2x-70) = -5 does imply that cos (2x-70) = -5/13, as everyone said. But, not all the values for x in the range give a solution, because when cos (2x-70) = -5/13, sin x can have two values, depending on x. There were two values of x in the range for which cos(2x-70)=-5/13, but only one was a solution (around -21 degrees). This pissed me off because the question stated find all solutions in the range, not one.

I'm pretty sure there were two solutions to the equation, both negative, (like -21 and -88 or something like that)
Original post by AdamFlatley
I'm pretty sure there were two solutions to the equation, both negative, (like -21 and -88 or something like that)

Yes, but only -21 actually works. If you sketch a graph you can see there's only one solution.
Original post by -jordan-
Yes, but only -21 actually works. If you sketch a graph you can see there's only one solution.

damn, thats pretty sneaky
The issue is you were told sec x - tan x's solution, so you couldnt use it in the question
Original post by modotta
I got full ums for 2015 mock, lucky if I get a C now. 🙃

Should have been born a year earlier bro.

Lmfao at people discussing the last question when I didn't even attempt it.

HAHAAHAHAHHA

ALL 8 marks

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Can someone link me to the unofficial mark scheme or tell me which page it's on, reckon I'm in the 40s but I'd still like an idea of how well D1 and MPC4 need to go
Original post by BioStudentx

HAHAAHAHAHHA

ALL 8 marks

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Tomorrow should prove.... Fun... *nervous sweats*
Original post by Cascadess
Tomorrow should prove.... Fun... *nervous sweats*

Too late regardless. a B on C3 means no chance of getting an A* in a level maths due to one paper...
Original post by modotta
I'm suprised that no news outlets have made articles about this yet.
Sadly, I bet they would never decide to make a new mpc3 paper and attempt to maintain their pride and only issue statement about how this paper was designed to challenge students. Students who are an A grade (me included) are very likely not to achieve this grade, even if there will be the lowest grade boundaries we will ever see. I'm absolutely devestated.
There is no way that my firm (or insurance) will accept me into their physics course without an A in maths. I am severely anxious and even worried thinking about having to look over my mpc4 notes.

I feel exactly the same, i was on for an A and now i feel like i'll be fighting for a B, there is no way i'll be accepted onto my firm physics course now.
Original post by mgill17
Can someone link me to the unofficial mark scheme or tell me which page it's on, reckon I'm in the 40s but I'd still like an idea of how well D1 and MPC4 need to go

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4166871
Too late regardless. a B on C3 means no chance of getting an A* in a level maths due to one paper...

I feel you, all that work down the drain. SO MUCH WORSE WHEN YOU KNOW ANY OTHER PAPER AND YOU'D HAVE PROBABLY GOT A DEFINITE A* :frown:((((((

Original post by jessie98
I feel you, all that work down the drain. SO MUCH WORSE WHEN YOU KNOW ANY OTHER PAPER AND YOU'D HAVE PROBABLY GOT A DEFINITE A* :frown:((((((

I understand both your pain :frown:

I mean... It is plausible however that the grade boundaries do go extremely low. I mean, I definitely recon they'll be lower.

thank you so much!
I might be pushing 50 marks with the looks of it so I feel a bit better about it all!

HAHAAHAHAHHA

ALL 8 marks

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

We both.
I have got about 20 =)
Original post by Denn1sT
I have got about 20 =)

20 more than me.
Original post by 09876543211
We both.

I spend a hefty 15mins on that last question and still didn't an answer to any of the parts LOL... fml

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending