The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueberry389
does anyone have the paper?

You gotta be kidding me
Original post by Suits101
I can't remember it now! You might be right.

I thought you had a sodium ethanoate and alcohol?

yeye :smile: Sodium ethanoate has ionic bonding between (O- and Na+) so if you heated it ... surely you would be able to distill off the alcohol ?
Original post by badaman
What was the answer? Fractional distillation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put chromatography because fractional distillation isn't on the unit 4 spec but...oh wait, half this paper had nothing much to do with our spec anyways -_-

Fractional distillation should be fine.
Original post by SubwayLover1
yeye :smile: Sodium ethanoate has ionic bonding between (O- and Na+) so if you heated it ... surely you would be able to distill off the alcohol ?

I'm going to be honest I don't know.

It was only one mark so I'm trying to not worry about it but if what you said is true then I suppose so! :smile:
I'm going to be honest I don't know.

It was only one mark so I'm trying to not worry about it but if what you said is true then I suppose so! :smile:

Sorry pahah! I need an A* in chem so I am stressing D: !
That's exactly right

Can it be HCl and not H2SO4
Reply 1726
What would 45/100 be lol
Anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?
URGENT Can someone please put the topics of each questions in order up URGENTLY NEED THIS
I said the rate equation was the same and stated that iodine was not in it or whatever hence rate remains the same but I rushed it - any marks do you think?

Sorry, genuinely have no clue (not even sure if what I wrote was right lol XD) Based on what I know from the syllabus, I'd guess that's too vague to count as clarification, because the question was more linked to whether or not increasing the concentration of ethanoic acid would have an effect on the rate equation
Original post by FireBLue97
URGENT Can someone please put the topics of each questions in order up URGENTLY NEED THIS

1. Acids/bases
7. Kinetics
8. Kinetics
9. NMR

That's all that I remember sorry.
1. Acids/bases
7. Kinetics
8. Kinetics
9. NMR

That's all that I remember sorry.

Mate thats more questions than any1 can remember so thanxs.
Original post by FireBLue97
Mate thats more questions than any1 can remember so thanxs.

I can remember the topics but not in order sadly!
Hi,

I have a Q on chem 5 now as i think you need to work on chem 5 now as its ch4 is done!
THE Q is that in thermodynamics when we have a pure ionic model the experiment and theorotical values dont differ much but when we have a compound with covalent character the experimental date is more exothermic? Taking this into account and applying to periodicity and the fact that AL203 has a partially covalent character as the electron cloud is distorted and so it has partially covalent and ionic bonding , why isn't the melting point of al203 higher than na2o or mgo

i understand that the charge increases so stronger ionic bond etc thus the highest melting point of oxides is mgo but i wanna know why its not al2o3 considering its a bit covalent?
is covelent bonding stronger or ionic?
Reply 1734
Original post by gcsesurvivor
Honestly likely that I will have gotten around 30 marks on that paper after getting almost 80 on every other past paper that I have done. I waited for this thread to die down from the initial anger in order to ask, does anybody have any idea how many UMS 30 marks would be or what would be needed for a D grade in this exam, as I'm needing a B overall to get into uni. Luckily, I have much better subjects to fall back on. My offer is ABB and I am seriously hoping universities will take this awful exam into consideration and let us in with, in my case, ABC.

I was wondering the exact same thing, my mark is no more than 30-40 marks. Someone told you get an automatic U if you fail one of your units, or do I still have a chance to make it up with unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Cave Felem;65829287]Did nobody else say fractional distillation? The alcohol has a different boiling point to the other compounds so it should be legit right?

I said this!!
Original post by ELCRE
I was wondering the exact same thing, my mark is no more than 30-40 marks. Someone told you get an automatic U if you fail one of your units, or do I still have a chance to make it up with unit 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's total rubbish - your final total UMS score will determine your grade.
I don't really understand why people found this paper outrageous. I thought it was okay. It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either. They just tried really hard to over complicate questions. I didn't do brilliantly as well but I think everyone needs to chill.

Letting this paper get to your head will seriously effect your performance in future papers. Focus on CHEM5.
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
Hi,

I have a Q on chem 5 now as i think you need to work on chem 5 now as its ch4 is done!
THE Q is that in thermodynamics when we have a pure ionic model the experiment and theorotical values dont differ much but when we have a compound with covalent character the experimental date is more exothermic? Taking this into account and applying to periodicity and the fact that AL203 has a partially covalent character as the electron cloud is distorted and so it has partially covalent and ionic bonding , why isn't the melting point of al203 higher than na2o or mgo

i understand that the charge increases so stronger ionic bond etc thus the highest melting point of oxides is mgo but i wanna know why its not al2o3 considering its a bit covalent?
is covelent bonding stronger or ionic?

Generally ionic character is stronger than covalency but it really depends what you are comparing with what. Some covelant bonds are much stronger than ionic bonds and vice versa.

I think to answer your question (i am taking a guess) is that the covelant character in aliminum oxide is little compared to the ionic character. This slightly weakens the ionic bonding which is prescedent and causes it to have a lower melting point. Or, the idea of shielding and ionic radius of each element comes into play to effect the attraction between the two. Aluminium has more shielding due to an electron being in the 3p orbital.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SirRaza97
I don't really understand why people found this paper outrageous. I thought it was okay. It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either. They just tried really hard to over complicate questions. I didn't do brilliantly as well but I think everyone needs to chill.

Letting this paper get to your head will seriously effect your performance in future papers. Focus on CHEM5.

Agreed. But I have no idea what to expect for Chem 5 now. I felt confident for both units, but the exam on Tuesday completely shocked me so idek...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending