The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by malutki27
same situation here.. feel like crying xd

Same with me 😔
Lost 4 marks cos that picture of the cell was absolute shite. Pixelated af so i couldnt see anything so i wrote golgi. Apart from that the paper wasnt that bad.
Reply 582
8.75% for me
Worked out 800 Npp for the first box
Worked out 70 for the next
800-70= 730/800=0.9125
100%-91.25= 8.75
Hope it was that
How cna they be allowed to just copy a whole paper but switch up a few questions...wtf xD
Reply 584
Guys, what did u lots put for the MCQ about whether it was a lysozyme, cytoplasm, nucleus or vacuole. Also, what did u put for the 4 marker about why pollen is preserved well in peat bogs?
Original post by vam
i got 3% for the trophic level one too. NPP of the second box/ GPP in the first box right?

Yes I did that calculation and got same answer
Original post by farrl005
I got 8.75%!

I did but crossed it out and put 3.75% or something :frown:
Did anyone else understand the relevance of that fertilisation question? Isn't that all just AS? 😕
Original post by .JC.
That makes sense. I was wondering which to use but did the former.

Since the question was worded quite ambiguously maybe they'll award for both? It didn't state whether it was the energy which the 2nd tropic level had in total, or just that which it passed on.

Hopefully. I chose 8.75 because the other answer was a long decimal so i assumed it was wrong. Knowing edexcel they wont credit both though :frown:
Original post by Fuego1
Guys, what did u lots put for the MCQ about whether it was a lysozyme, cytoplasm, nucleus or vacuole. Also, what did u put for the 4 marker about why pollen is preserved well in peat bogs?

There was information about the peat bogs one in the question, you just had to apply your knowledge based on that.
Any unofficial mark schemes yet?
Reply 591
For the question about how structureP/Q is used in making antibodies, I mentioned about the ReR and how it packages proteins/antibodies into vesicles, fuses with Golgi apartus, modification in Golgi and release by exocytosis. Would that get me 3 marks cuz I didn't mention extra cellular enzymes :frown:
Original post by Fuego1

For the pollen peat bog Q I put because lack of oxygen so decomposers cannot respire through aerobic respiration so no decomposition of pollen. Acidic conditions mean bacteria killed so no decomposition. Not sure if I'm on the right lines??
Original post by Lewildspleen
I did but crossed it out and put 3.75% or something :frown:

You could be right tbh I didn't rly know what I was doing hahah
Reply 594
Original post by wr200bar
Hopefully. I chose 8.75 because the other answer was a long decimal so i assumed it was wrong. Knowing edexcel they wont credit both though :frown:

Probably get at least a method mark either way. I guess it just depends whether you used the NPP or the GPP for the 2nd tropic level. There's a good chance they'll allow either as the question didn't explicitly state which to use, and it was very ambiguous. I think that shows given there's pretty much a direct split of people putting 3% and 8.75%.
Whoopsie, I didn't revise exons/introns. I spliced my score by 6 marks there.

Dropped maybe 20-25 marks in that paper, I have no idea. Just little marks here and there, eg. saying "cellulose is beta" instead of "beta glucose".

Considering many people thought it was an awful then the grade boundaries will get me on an A* hopefully. Hooray for dumbed down education.
What did people put for the rising sea levels Q?
Original post by Romanoff
They did give context though. They spoke about the production of antibodies.

What's involved in the production of extracellular proteins? Clearly rER.

I put RER as well and I chose this instead of sER because rough ER is closest to the nucleus isn't it? therefore it can't be smooth ER as the arrow pointed to the organelle that was right outside the nucleus, but I did contemplate whether it was RER or cytoplasm... hope I was right
Reply 598
Original post by geor_thor
For the pollen peat bog Q I put because lack of oxygen so decomposers cannot respire through aerobic respiration so no decomposition of pollen. Acidic conditions mean bacteria killed so no decomposition. Not sure if I'm on the right lines??

I think that's pretty much on the right lines. Also mentioned about the inner cell wall (was made of something they mentioned in the Q that is chemically stable) so can withstand a low pH. Low oxygen also means less water, which means hydrolysis of the cellulose in the outer cell wall doesn't occur, allowing it to be preserved.
Reply 599
Watch how they put a load of topic 2 from AS and 5 from A2 in unit 5 - especially in the pre release! Knowing edexcel, They might even put more of unit 4 than actual unit 5 content...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending