The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS Unit 1 CCEA 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by groovygrace143
What did you think of the biology??

I thought it was ok. I liked the essay question. Didn't like the osmosis question with the stalk ripped in two. I didn't know what to draw and then didn't know what to write for the explanation. The carbohydrates D and E were guesses (sucrose and deoxyribose). Felt like i didn't draw the block diagram right because of the xylem and phloem part being really indistinct.

How did you and others at your school find it?
Original post by ozmo19
I thought it was ok. I liked the essay question. Didn't like the osmosis question with the stalk ripped in two. I didn't know what to draw and then didn't know what to write for the explanation. The carbohydrates D and E were guesses (sucrose and deoxyribose). Felt like i didn't draw the block diagram right because of the xylem and phloem part being really indistinct.

How did you and others at your school find it?

I though the essay was worth a lot of marks for immobilisation. Also was unsure about the animal and plant cell differences and also in g1 the two changes? I wasn't sure how to draw it, I drew it straight and a bit skinnier. The question which followed was about it placed in pure water so I just wrote about it becoming turgid. I got those same answers for the sugars. Mixture, some found it hard others thought it was grand
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought the exam wasn't awful a few questions I wasn't sure how to go about answering like that dandelion strip one. Also 2 of the questions were regurgitated from old spec papers like 2002 which I had copies of thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found out the correct answers of the multiple choice if anyone can remember theirs - DCCBAACDCB
What did you think of the biology??

I thought biology was good! was expecting worse. Disappointed the ileum didnt come up at all! For the dandelion question I drew it being straight and smaller. Alot of people in my year found it ok! Not many got the glycoprotein question about what type of protein it is. The essay i was quite thankful for i had went over that this morning but the disadvantages of immobilised enzymes i couldnt remember :s-smilie:
Original post by jmcardle587
I thought biology was good! was expecting worse. Disappointed the ileum didnt come up at all! For the dandelion question I drew it being straight and smaller. Alot of people in my year found it ok! Not many got the glycoprotein question about what type of protein it is. The essay i was quite thankful for i had went over that this morning but the disadvantages of immobilised enzymes i couldnt remember :s-smilie:

what type of protein was it?
Reply 46
Original post by jmcardle587
I found out the correct answers of the multiple choice if anyone can remember theirs - DCCBAACDCB

Question 1 was C - 9?
It said pairs of electrons not single electrons, to trick people to go for 18.
Do you have the question paper?

I don't remember the question for 5 but I went for B. Went for C and B for 9/10
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Medicine2016app
what type of protein was it?

I said conjugated, with a non-protein carbohydrate prosthetic group - not sure If that's what they wanted
I said conjugated, with a non-protein carbohydrate prosthetic group - not sure If that's what they wanted

I said that too- I must be the only person that drew the dandelion strip folded the opposite way than the one in pure water lmao
Reply 49

Original post by Carokelly123
I said that too- I must be the only person that drew the dandelion strip folded the opposite way than the one in pure water lmao

I said that exact explanation for conjugated. I drew the dandelion the opposite way because I had no idea:redface:
Should we make a group for Chem 2?
for the proving the sucrose question for 5 marks, was the answer chromatography or boiling with HCl thing? And does anybody know if bio as papers are usually scaled up or down? Can't find raw mark grade boundaries on the ccea website unlike chemistry
Reply 51
for the proving the sucrose question for 5 marks, was the answer chromatography or boiling with HCl thing? And does anybody know if bio as papers are usually scaled up or down? Can't find raw mark grade boundaries on the ccea website unlike chemistry

I feel like either would have worked
Original post by ozmo19
I feel like either would have worked

which did you do?
Reply 53
which did you do?

I did dilute HCl, add NaOH to neutralise, and re-do benedict's test. Come to think of it, i think they wanted chromatography

What did you do?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
I did dilute HCl, add NaOH to neutralise, and re-do benedict's test. Come to think of it, i think they wanted chromatography

What did you do?!

I think you might be right, i just couldnt think of a safety precaution for that one so i did chromatography, but at the same time there wasn't enough space for chromatography (or marks haah) so you're probably right. Or hopefully both methods are right
Reply 55
I think you might be right, i just couldnt think of a safety precaution for that one so i did chromatography, but at the same time there wasn't enough space for chromatography (or marks haah) so you're probably right. Or hopefully both methods are right

Hopefully both methods are given in the mark scheme. I might email CCEA about my concerns about the question because there were two methods.

the only method I had in my notes for that was boiling with dilute hcl to hydrolyse it into glucose and fructose- then adding benedicts and heating gently in a waterbath and I said you could even test further by adding clinisitix to see if glucose was one of the sugars produced
Reply 57
Original post by potato.toe
I thought the exam wasn't awful a few questions I wasn't sure how to go about answering like that dandelion strip one. Also 2 of the questions were regurgitated from old spec papers like 2002 which I had copies of thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi could I see the 2002 paper which the questions were regurgitated from or could you tell me which ones?
Original post by Carokelly123
I know this isn't relevant but were you doing ccea m1?

If you have the paper. Could you post some questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chemistrynerd13
If you have the paper. Could you post some questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry I don't have it! it was about 3 weeks ago too so I cant remember the questions haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending