The Student Room Group

Girl stabbed in France by man trying to ‘make sacrifice for Ramadan’

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aceadria
Indeed, apologies.

No worries at all.
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Can we settle this now that in this instance it was simply a man not taking his medication and not some grand Muslim conspiracy.

It's possible for something to occur for more than one reason. It's possible for someone to be mentally ill and also to have been influenced by extremism.
Original post by Thutmose-III
It's possible for something to occur for more than one reason. It's possible for someone to be mentally ill and also to have been influenced by extremism.

I never said he wasn't, but on account of his mental state it is fair to say, unlike the Paris or California shootings, this was an isolated incident.
I never said he wasn't, but on account of his mental state it is fair to say, unlike the Paris or California shootings, this was an isolated incident.

It depends. If it turns out this man was radicalised at Britain First meetings then it might not be a one-off incident. If that turns out to be the case there must be an extensive investigation of this group.
It depends. If it turns out this man was radicalised at Britain First meetings then it might not be a one-off incident. If that turns out to be the case there must be an extensive investigation of this group.

Wrong thread, mate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wrong thread, mate.

Yep, that's my bad, though the point remains.

Being mentally ill doesn't necessarily mean that therefore there were no ideological issues involved. In fact, terrorist groups often groom and recruit particularly vulnerable individuals
Yep, that's my bad, though the point remains.

Being mentally ill doesn't necessarily mean that therefore there were no ideological issues involved. In fact, terrorist groups often groom and recruit particularly vulnerable individuals

I agree with that.
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
Have you even read the Qur'an? Yeah I thought not.

“Whoever kills a person [unjustly]…it is as though he has killed all mankind. And whoever saves a life, it is as though he had saved all mankind.” (Qur’an, 5:32)

"2:190. And fight in the Way of Allah those who fight you, but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allah likes not the transgressors.

191. And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. For disbelief is worse than killing.[...]

[...]

193. And fight them until there is no more disbelief, and all worship is for Allah alone."

Obviously it clearly says 'those who fight you', but still, the Quran, like the Bible, does not forbid killing in the name of one's religious beliefs, it only forbids murder of innocent people. The context by the way is that the followers of Mohammed have been exiled from the city of Mecca, and they are planning to launch an assault on it to take it for their cause. So clearly this verse does not promote only self-defence, at least in this context - arguably it does not extend to all Muslims, only the followers of Mohammed at that time, but claiming that the Quran does not apply in modern times because of changed circumstances goes against all teachings of mainstream learned Muslim thought and practice.

Besides, Muslims are supposed to emulate the life of Mohammed, and he was a military leader who attacked many more cities than just Mecca, so trying to claim that Mohammed himself was against offensive attacks against non-Muslims is a difficult proposition to say the least.

Anyway all of this is completely irrelevant to this incident, the Quran does expressly forbid the murder of innocent people and human sacrifice is not sanctioned by any Abrahamic religion since the day Abraham himself was told not to sacrifice Isaac but a lamb instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending