The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone else find the exam horrible? we haven't learnt about the presidency so i had two horrible 45 markers to choose from, spent about 10 mins choosing what one to do - eventually chose the protection of rights. I think ive done awfully - only did 3 paragraphs one on a different right and basically thought of whatever came to my head - i essentially had no argument and didnt evaluate the effectiveness of each branch etc. did anyone else do this question????
Original post by needhelpthank
yeah i did what were your arguments ? I tried to balance my points for the 3 branches of government

Mostly wrote about the judiciary and just gave loads of cases,briefly mentioned the president and congress and how there is equal representation in the senate.
So arguing that they dont protect states rights:
President has made secret deals without state or congressional consent.
Congress-bills take too long and not many passed through concerning states rights and legislation.
Judiciary:
Lee vs Weisman
Roe Vs Wade
Do protect rights:
Judiciary:Texas vs Johnson (couldnt remember the name in the exam though)
Furman vs Georgia
Brown vs Topeka
Gonzalles vs Carhart
Congress equal representation in the senate
President-elected by the electoral college
Feel like I messed up though as i didnt divide it equally,literally 2/3 was about the judiciary.
What did you put?
Reply 662
Original post by gcsehelpm3
Did anyone else find the exam horrible? we haven't learnt about the presidency so i had two horrible 45 markers to choose from, spent about 10 mins choosing what one to do - eventually chose the protection of rights. I think ive done awfully - only did 3 paragraphs one on a different right and basically thought of whatever came to my head - i essentially had no argument and didnt evaluate the effectiveness of each branch etc. did anyone else do this question????

Hey I did this question and did basically the same thing, but I thought that we didn't have to evaluate the effectiveness of each branch because the question is saying how have the failed or not in protecting rights? So I just though we only need to say whether each rights has been effectively protected or not?
Original post by Mingg
Hey did any of you did the 45 marker on " 'the three branches of government failed to protect the constitutional rights' discuss." ? What did you say?

So arguing that they dont protect states rights:President has made secret deals without state or congressional consent.Congress-bills take too long and not many passed through concerning states rights and legislation.Judiciary:Lee vs WeismanRoe Vs Wade Do protect rights:Judiciary:Texas vs Johnson (couldnt remember the name in the exam though)Furman vs GeorgiaBrown vs TopekaGonzalles vs CarhartCongress equal representation in the senatePresident-elected by the electoral collegeFeel like I messed up though as i didnt divide it equally,literally 2/3 was about the judiciary

Me too.
Original post by Mingg
Hey I did this question and did basically the same thing, but I thought that we didn't have to evaluate the effectiveness of each branch because the question is saying how have the failed or not in protecting rights? So I just though we only need to say whether each rights has been effectively protected or not?

Okay no i was just checking we didnt have to - did you find your answer was really wafferly, and did you say you only wrote three paragraphs - i just said conservatives like this, liberals dont etc. within but like all over the paragraphs, not in too halves??
Reply 666

Why did you guys not learn the president!?
Original post by Pato1
Why did you guys not learn the president!?

We only learnt Supreme Court, Constitution and Congress - think because the teacher thought it was too much too do and to be honest learning those three was enough. So what made that question even harder was the fact that we dont know how the president protects rights. Really annoyed as Unit 3 went well but that exam was just a mess :frown:
Original post by Pato1
Why is Persuasion the most important power:

Needs to persuade congress to get laws passed
Needs to persuade congress to ratify treaties
Needs to persuade his office to execute laws

Not most important/not important:
Veto
Executive agreements means he doesnt need to persuade to use Veto
Executive orders means he doesn't need to persuade people to vote
He is Chief Executive; he chooses his own cabinet officers.
He is Commander in Chief; war powers act has become useless.

Aw yus
Reply 669
We only learnt Supreme Court, Constitution and Congress - think because the teacher thought it was too much too do and to be honest learning those three was enough. So what made that question even harder was the fact that we dont know how the president protects rights. Really annoyed as Unit 3 went well but that exam was just a mess :frown:

Did everyone else in your class mess up?
Original post by Pato1
Did everyone else in your class mess up?

I think so, only a few came out feeling positive - thank god i did well last year as im pretty sure i wouldnt get more than a D for this
Reply 671
Okay no i was just checking we didnt have to - did you find your answer was really wafferly, and did you say you only wrote three paragraphs - i just said conservatives like this, liberals dont etc. within but like all over the paragraphs, not in too halves??

Ya I did, I kind of messed up the structure of my essay... So I did 2 points for and against on how they do and don't protect constitutional rights, and one more paragraph on how they do protect constitutional rights, and two paragraphs on introduction in the beginning and conclusion at the end. I don't know...
For power of persuasion question is the fact that power of persuasion is most important during his second term because of his lame duck status and how he makes midterm losses in congress means that he has to utilise his resources to persuade congress to for instance approve appts e.g. merrick garland. <Is that point good or bad
In the amendment questions- I got the prohibition amendment wrong- I put 19 and 21 instead of 18 and 21! Does this matter to much? I literally put it in brackets, but just curious
For the limits to the Supreme Court I did:

Constitution - limited to the use of one outdated document.
Inability to enforce de facto change. (Brown vs board)
Checks and balances by congress - impeachment, can increase amount of judges in total.

Are these all valid arguements particularly the constitution one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone I debating with my friends regarding the senate vs the House of Representatives
For that were u meant to answer as 3 arguments in favour of the question or 2 for 1 against any help in answer this will be very much appreciated
is the limitations of supreme court a one sided or two sided 15 marker? I thought it only asked us to answer the points of how supreme court is limited
Original post by adriansiuyikto
is the limitations of supreme court a one sided or two sided 15 marker? I thought it only asked us to answer the points of how supreme court is limited

It questions was 'assess' which means 2 sides..talking about its limitations and how it isn't limited

Posted from TSR Mobile
wt will i get if i only talked about the limitations?
Probably about 8-9 marks

Quick Reply