The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

furious with that exam. It was completely unfair for people who aren't resitting unit 2. They're just trying to catch you out. Like you had to read both graphs backwards... Supposed to be getting an A* in this. The grade boundaries better be low. My Head of Science and bio teacher is complaining. Something's going on at Edexcel's head office...
Original post by Rhy
I think the percentage one was 3.07% but the other one was defo 1.23

What was the 1.23 question? I totally forgot lol
Do you think if we all wrote to edexcel collectively something can be done about this paper? I mean I - along with many others I'm sure - was getting A*'s on past papers and walked in there thinking I could get at least an A - but that was providing we actually got questions on unit 4...not unit 2...

They must be able to do something right??
Original post by Excuse Me!
For the cellulose question I wrote about it being B glucose. Molecules joined in condensation reactions and chains of molecules being joined by hydrogen bonds. Also wrote about molecules being layed down in a cross cross manner embedded in hemicelluloses and pectin or pectate - couldnt remember haha.

For the protein comparison I said glubular is 3d and used in enzymes, fibrous is flat and forms a mesh for example in hair.

Do these sound right??

I haven't the foggiest if this is right but I said: "globular has an active site, fibrous doesn't.
globular has charge R groups ???
fibrous proteins have structural functions i.e. keratin
Original post by Simrang
Do you think if we all wrote to edexcel collectively something can be done about this paper? I mean I - along with many others I'm sure - was getting A*'s on past papers and walked in there thinking I could get at least an A - but that was providing we actually got questions on unit 4...not unit 2...

The grade boundaries will be ridiculously low, don't worry, they can't just screw everyone over. Even if we complain, they'll just say if the paper was difficult, then this will be reflected in the grade boundaries and also that it was mentioned that the paper would be synoptic...unfair but not much we could do :frown:
Original post by Simrang

I will personally join you on that
Original post by Simrang

tbf i doubt it they'll probably come on a next flick like "students are expected to know AS topics as the papers are synoptic"
bruv the whole education system is a lottery
Original post by -Realtalk-
I suggested:
-Aspetic technique e.g. flaming equipment
-Coating slide in a buffer solution
-Attaching fluorescent markers to the cells which were dividing
-View under microscope

I am pretty sure you're both wrong...

It is do to with placing a macrophage with a pathogen, so it becomes and APC, then it will stimulate CD4 T helper cell and then activate the B cell, then you can watch the mitosis occur.

https://09c2fe7e15eec240b690c3da7f7c92878f7d92a6.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYaWpWUDNic2ZzdTQ/January%202014%20(IAL)%20MS%20-%20Unit%204%20Edexcel%20Biology.pdf
Reply 708
well bye bye Edinburgh uni place for biology is all i can say......
Original post by Simrang

No the specicifation says it is synoptic
Original post by setarcos
The grade boundaries will be ridiculously low, don't worry, they can't just screw everyone over. Even if we complain, they'll just say if the paper was difficult, then this will be reflected in the grade boundaries and also that it was mentioned that the paper would be synoptic...unfair but not much we could do :frown:

I doubt the grade boundaries will be that low considering how closely this paper resembles the Jan 2014 IAL and i just checked those grade boundaries...not very low...also yeah they said synoptic but not the majority of the paper?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IoMc
well bye bye Edinburgh uni place for biology is all i can say......

bye bye oxford place lol
Original post by Simrang
I doubt the grade boundaries will be that low considering how closely this paper resembles the Jan 2014 IAL and i just checked those grade boundaries...not very low...also yeah they said synoptic but not the majority of the paper?

Well maybe the grade boundaries might be lower for us because I don't think I've seen a single person say they found it ok lol I dunno, i'm just trying to be optimistic. Even if a letter was sent, what would edexcel do? They wouldn't withdraw the AS questions of the paper or anything drastic, they would just say that this year's performance will be reflected in the grade boundaries. Just focus on unit 5 bio i guess :\
Well maybe the grade boundaries might be lower for us because I don't think I've seen a single person say they found it ok lol I dunno, i'm just trying to be optimistic. Even if a letter was sent, what would edexcel do? They wouldn't withdraw the AS questions of the paper or anything drastic, they would just say that this year's performance will be reflected in the grade boundaries. Just focus on unit 5 bio i guess :\

They could reconsider their grade boundaries if they know how hard it really was, i would actually be happy to redo the paper...as long as it has unit 4 stuff not until 2.
Guys, what's done is done. Move on to unit 5. They may give an easier Unit 5 paper now because of this horrific Unit 4 paper.

I dont think the grade boundaries will be that low, similar to last year imo. There were a few unfair questions on unit 2 but there were so many nice easy questions given to us, like B cells, antibiotics, forensic entomology, basic enzyme knowledge, bacteria and virus differences, comparing graphs, trophic levels, phagocytosis etc etc
Original post by Simrang

The grade boundaries for the 2014 IAL paper were literally the lowest there's been, how is that not very low? Also the synoptic topics are normally a lot more related to what we do in unit 5 but preparing a microscope slide and fertilisation of flowering plants are really specific and kinda not related

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 717
Tbh I think we should make a list of A2 unit 4 topics that weren't on it. Speaking about it now with some others, there are SO SO MANY important topics which weren't even mentioned. Was planning on seeing what topics didn't come up to revise for the synoptic part of unit 5 but God knows what will be on it now.
Original post by rory58824
Guys, what's done is done. Move on to unit 5. They may give an easier Unit 5 paper now because of this horrific Unit 4 paper.

They might do but this is edexcel we're talking about. I'm still going to write a complaint though.
Original post by Simrang
They might do but this is edexcel we're talking about. I'm still going to write a complaint though.

I doubt it will get you anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending