The Student Room Group

Anyone sick of fat acceptance and the 'big is beautiful' campaign?

At the end of the day, big is not beautiful but looks lazy. Why should we be accepting that it's ok to be obese? It's sending the message to children that it's ok to be twice the weight of let's say a five year old. Fat people come across as greedy and I'm sick of seeing people too huge to fit in my field of vision.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep
I don't hate the fat campaign necessarily because the people are fat, but because they take pride in being fat. Most people don't take pride in being thin, so IK think that the same should be said for them.
Reply 3
Original post by mghanduri
I don't hate the fat campaign necessarily because the people are fat, but because they take pride in being fat. Most people don't take pride in being thin, so IK think that the same should be said for them.

Yes but we need to stop accepting that it's actually ok to be as big as a house that costs the NHS millions every year.
Original post by Prussia1
At the end of the day, big is not beautiful but looks lazy. Why should we be accepting that it's ok to be obese? It's sending the message to children that it's ok to be twice the weight of let's say a five year old. Fat people come across as greedy and I'm sick of seeing people too huge to fit in my field of vision.

What difference does it make to you?
Are you into fat shaming as well?

I thought you were banned from your previous trolling?
do you ever get that feeling where you really hope a post is bait but deep down you know it probably actually isnt
yeah
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes but we need to stop accepting that it's actually ok to be as big as a house that costs the NHS millions every year.

That is exactly why I would like the NHS to stop treating people with self-caused illnesses, illnesses caused by smoking, alcohol, drugs and unhealthy food. We humans hate losing more than we love winning, so many people will be persuaded to be more fit. It would also save the NHS millions every year, and at the same time, if someone wants to wreck their body, it's their choice. We shouldn't be paying for their treatment.
I'm skinny but I don't workout because i'm lazy :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
What difference does it make to you?
Are you into fat shaming as well?

I thought you were banned from your previous trolling?

I'm just saying it's not a good lifestyle choice and uses millions of tax payers money every year. Let's face it no one finds fat attractive and it sends a negative message. Personally I'd never employ an obese person.
Reply 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlzUKfxTWE

I believe the above video properly represents my views on this issue. Over the past few months, I have put on the pounds but I am not going around asking society to accept my chronic laziness as beautiful.

DISCLAIMER:
If for some medical reason you have gained weight, that is perfectly fine, and the people who judge you are *******s.
However, for the rest of us, being fat should NOT be accepted, it isn't healthy. Sure it is hard to get into shape, but hey, that is not the argument here is it?
I'm just saying it's not a good lifestyle choice and uses millions of tax payers money every year. Let's face it no one finds fat attractive and it sends a negative message. Personally I'd never employ an obese person.

Honeslty considering the views expressed in your previous posts I doubt anyone would wnat to work for you.

The number of people who are obese and unashamed of it is very small, compared to the numbers who would ove to get rid of the weight, but often have low education, low self esteem and depression.

2/3 of the population is overweight.
1/4 of the population is obese.

Its a major problem.
I doubt they find fat attractive, but you dont solve the situation by shaming them..
Original post by ssshah2
DISCLAIMER:
If for some medical reason you have gained weight, that is perfectly fine, and the people who judge you are *******s.
However, for the rest of us, being fat should NOT be accepted, it isn't healthy. Sure it is hard to get into shape, but hey, that is not the argument here is it?

How are you going to tell the difference?
Reply 12
Original post by ssshah2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VlzUKfxTWE

I believe the above video properly represents my views on this issue. Over the past few months, I have put on the pounds but I am not going around asking society to accept my chronic laziness as beautiful.

DISCLAIMER:

I'm just tired of people like Gemma Collins screaming that she should be accepted as 'plus size' but I don't think this is healthy and children especially should not be brought up with the idea that it's ok to be clinically obese
You can be skinny and be unhealthy/fat and be unhealthy too.
Reply 14
Original post by Results
I don't "hate" fat people.

BEFORE I BEGIN, I AM TALKING ABOUT THOSE WHO ARE FAT BY CHOICE NOT FAT CAUSED BY A MEDICAL CONDITION

Now that your panties are untied, let's begin.

Everyone wants to be all politically-correct nowadays and are scared to say anything - but here goes:

Your body is a testament to who you are and what you do.

You can't buy it.
You can't borrow it.
You can't steal it.
You can't make someone else do it for you.

It's all you.

Someone who is fat just tells me they have no:
= Self respect
= Self discipline
= Self control

They are no healthy, and THAT is what matters.

Being unhealthy because you can't control your eating habits is what is disgusting.

Underneath the skin will be a shed-load of fat

Anyhow, I have to go revise

I completely agree with the points you have made. My view exactly
Original post by Sabertooth
How are you going to tell the difference?

You can tell by differentiating between those that whine about 'fat is beautiful' and those who don't ;P :tongue:

On a more serious note, I had a cousin who had to take steroids for a condition he had, he (admirably) tried to make an effort to control his weight, even though he couldn't. The point I am trying to make is that we have no right to judge people by how fat they are, that is just plain rude, however, for those who propagate falsehoods like 'fat is beautiful', they need to be stopped. This is akin to the vaccines cause autism debate, as it causes many people to make unhealthy life choices.
Reply 16
Original post by loveleest
You can be skinny and be unhealthy/fat and be unhealthy too.

I'm sorry but being overweight/obese significantly increases the chances of getting diabetes, heart attacks, strokes etc and costs the health service millions every year. Tax payers should not pay for these lifestyles and we certainly should not have to accept fat as normal and beautiful.
Don't care about fat peoples feelings honestly but the rationale is that it's "mean" and "wrong" which isn't so irrational. It's true. It is mean. It is wrong.

But the whole "fat acceptance" really takes the piss outta civil rights.

Most fat people single handledly decided to be fat. And won't stop.

Whereas gays supposedly didn't choose their sexuality, and people of colour certainly didn't choose their colour, and poor people certainly didn't choose poverty :angry:
I'm just tired of people like Gemma Collins screaming that she should be accepted as 'plus size' but I don't think this is healthy and children especially should not be brought up with the idea that it's ok to be clinically obese

Totally agree with you. Whilst there are exceptions to every rule, we need to ensure that people are presented with the real facts, like in the case of vaccines and autism. The main goal is to stop people from propagating falsehoods, so that people make informed decisions
I'm sorry but being overweight/obese significantly increases the chances of getting diabetes, heart attacks, strokes etc and costs the health service millions every year. Tax payers should not pay for these lifestyles and we certainly should not have to accept fat as normal and beautiful.

Well done for pointing out the obvious sweetie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending