The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Simrang
They might do but this is edexcel we're talking about. I'm still going to write a complaint though.

Currently, your time would be better spent revising for unit 5 bio and other exams than writing a letter. I'm just as annoyed and am fully preparing to get as high as I can on unit 5 to compensate. Don't forget, u'll probs be able to lose abt 25 marks and get an A*.
Wat wud happen if u didnt read the graph backwards... Cud you still get some marks
My school is complaining about the clarity of the plasma image, hopefully they'll do something about it

This was literally the question when they asked to label the parts of the cell. They need something higher res than 144p
Original post by hopefuldentist10
I'm going to splice my dick off if I don't get an A* in biology

You are the biology banter king/queen
If anyone posts an unofficial mark scheme can someone link it?

It's as if edexcel has employed an exam writer from another exam board because we're the last set to be examined on this spec and they cba with us lol, what the heck was that nonsense of a paper ?!?!?
I wrote 3.0 for the greatest change, 34.4 to 37.4 in the first few hours, the first spike..
(edited 7 years ago)
no idea why they were asking about the fluid mosaic model though..pretty sure thats not even AS biology, think I remember doing that in my AQA GCSE exam.
Reply 728
Original post by Daniel9998
no idea why they were asking about the fluid mosaic model though..pretty sure thats not even AS biology, think I remember doing that in my AQA GCSE exam.

thats as

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LilacFlorence
How are they allowed to make it so similar to Jan 14 IAL - it's almost the same paper, bar a question or two?! :'(

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Biology/2013/Exam%20materials/WBI04_01_que_20140110.pdf
That's appalling! Wish I'd used those to revise now!
Reply 730
Original post by Bluerocks

ikr

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 731

theyre identical! whoever did that past paper lucky..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 732
Original post by smdmofo
I got 3% for the tropic levels hahaaha what the hell is this

Yes mate same here
I read the pollen graph the wrong way round. Didn't realise until I saw it here.

The image of the cell was very poor quality...I was squinting at the paper for about a minute and holding it up to the light to see if there was a "rough" surface to the structures pointed to, but the image was so poor I couldn't really tell. I ended up writing Golgi because I figured rER wouldn't have 3 marks worth of information to write about.

Had a brain burp on the maximum/minimum body temperature graph. Ended up writing 1.22 for the change, even after I'd worked out that one small square=0.02 and half a small square=0.01, and even after drawing a damn line from the plotted minimum temperature point to the y-axis. I practically had the answer and still messed it up. :s-smilie:

Kind of messed up the last one a bit...I wrote about splicing and introns and stuff, but didn't realise until the very end the question was telling you about length of the proteins, not the shape. I described how the folded shape would change as a result, not why the length would be different. I didn't have time to change it. I'm not sure how much this matters though?

Probably made a load of minor errors in other questions which I find really eat into my marks.

I am doing AS and A2 in one go (I do not recommend it), so I'd like to say the AS questions saved my bacon and it was not a bad paper, but it is hard to say. I've noticed Unit 4 in particular is so picky and specific with the mark scheme, many questions tend to be ambiguous, and the time limit is just too tight to think properly and examine the questions as carefully as needed, while still writing all you need.

It is a tricky paper to call correctly, so lots of people here might actually have done better than they think. :smile:

Good luck for Unit 5, everyone.
Original post by MrSheeple
I read the pollen graph the wrong way round. Didn't realise until I saw it here.

The image of the cell was very poor quality...I was squinting at the paper for about a minute and holding it up to the light to see if there was a "rough" surface to the structures pointed to, but the image was so poor I couldn't really tell. I ended up writing Golgi because I figured rER wouldn't have 3 marks worth of information to write about.

Had a brain burp on the maximum/minimum body temperature graph. Ended up writing 1.22 for the change, even after I'd worked out that one small square=0.02 and half a small square=0.01, and even after drawing a damn line from the plotted minimum temperature point to the y-axis. I practically had the answer and still messed it up. :s-smilie:

Kind of messed up the last one a bit...I wrote about splicing and introns and stuff, but didn't realise until the very end the question was telling you about length of the proteins, not the shape. I described how the folded shape would change as a result, not why the length would be different. I didn't have time to change it. I'm not sure how much this matters though?

Probably made a load of minor errors in other questions which I find really eat into my marks.

I am doing AS and A2 in one go (I do not recommend it), so I'd like to say the AS questions saved my bacon and it was not a bad paper, but it is hard to say. I've noticed Unit 4 in particular is so picky and specific with the mark scheme, many questions tend to be ambiguous, and the time limit is just too tight to think properly and examine the questions as carefully as needed, while still writing all you need.

It is a tricky paper to call correctly, so lots of people here might actually have done better than they think. :smile:

Good luck for Unit 5, everyone.

You were right to talk about splicing because the question asked how different proteins are made from the same gene I recon the length could be mentioned as an additional marking point but if you outlined splicing and the relevant enzymes then you're good
Tbh i wish we were given more time for the exam because i always run out of time and i need to think as well. On the verge of trying to finish the paper, i have made so many silly mistakes, i panicked so much i forgot so many essential informations. Urrrrghhhhh. My silly brain thought "clonal" sounded weird so i left that part blank! Wow!
Original post by A.Francis
You were right to talk about splicing because the question asked how different proteins are made from the same gene I recon the length could be mentioned as an additional marking point but if you outlined splicing and the relevant enzymes then you're good

Look at ial jan 14 mark scheme if your answer for q8 was the same then you got your 6

Wow they are literally identical, I'm going to be studying all IAL papers hardcore now Looool
Original post by Fizzypop10
I wrote 3.0 for the greatest change, 34.4 to 37.4 in the first few hours, the first spike..

the greatest change was from 37.5 decreasing to its lowest point. but the temperature and graph never went to 34.4?
Original post by cmolloy12
the greatest change was from 37.5 decreasing to its lowest point. but the temperature and graph never went to 34.4?

I have no clue tbh, but I did write 3 which seems wrong lol :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest