The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do for A level?

I'm currently trying to chose which A levels to take to try and study psychology at uni. I'm definitely going to take psychology and biology and was thinking of history as well, as I'm good at it and it's an essay based subject. I know that unis also want maths to study physchology and I'm on target to get an A at GCSE but I do struggle in it and I'm worried I wouldn't get a good enough grade at A level. Would physics show my maths ability or would it be better to just to take math? Would English literature also be a good idea as its essay based and the course looks really good? Sorry for the long post I'm just confused as what to do!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Georgiacostello
I'm currently trying to chose which A levels to take to try and study psychology at uni. I'm definitely going to take psychology and biology and was thinking of history as well, as I'm good at it and it's an essay based subject. I know that unis also want maths to study physchology and I'm on target to get an A at GCSE but I do struggle in it and I'm worried I wouldn't get a good enough grade at A level. Would physics show my maths ability or would it be better to just to take math? Would English literature also be a good idea as its essay based and the course looks really good? Sorry for the long post I'm just confused as what to do!!!!

The normal requirements for psychology is just to have studied two science subjects up to A2. e.g for oxford, psychology and biology have already met that criteria. They also require A at GCSE maths however. Maths would be of benefit to you but since the science requirement is already met, any other subject should be just fine. (I only looked at Oxford, Bath, Exeter and UCL and none seem to require A level maths and just look for 1, 2 or more science subjects at A level)
If you're not gonna do one of Maths/Bio/chem/physics then don't even bother CONSIDERING a levels

A lot of uni's prefer if you haven't already studied the subject purely due to the fact they can't un-teach you what you've already been taught. For example; I'm planning on doing criminology joint with psychology, so I have chosen to do English literature... To help be gain the skills to analyse and into the mind set of constant reading, sociology as it partners well with my future in psychology and history as it also helps with analysing and remembering large amounts of information. English lit and history are also great subjects as they open more doors, so if you decided eventually that you didn't want to do psychology, you have a better chance of getting into something else with these subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm in exactly the same position as you! I've opted for English Lit, Music, German and either Biology or Psychology (I'm trying to decide between the two at the moment!) I'd choose subjects that you're good at/enjoy doing - you're taking both biology and psychology; two science subjects seems sufficient for applying to do Psychology! I know of several people who have gone to do Psychology at uni with only 1 science! (That's what I'm counting on, haha) How many subjects do you have to choose, 3? Or 4 and drop one at the end of Year 12? :smile:
Original post by Fernelizabeth98
A lot of uni's prefer if you haven't already studied the subject purely due to the fact they can't un-teach you what you've already been taught. For example; I'm planning on doing criminology joint with psychology, so I have chosen to do English literature... To help be gain the skills to analyse and into the mind set of constant reading, sociology as it partners well with my future in psychology and history as it also helps with analysing and remembering large amounts of information. English lit and history are also great subjects as they open more doors, so if you decided eventually that you didn't want to do psychology, you have a better chance of getting into something else with these subjects.

Thank you!! I think I might go with history and English, as your right about it opening new doors!!!
Original post by just_a_geek
I'm in exactly the same position as you! I've opted for English Lit, Music, German and either Biology or Psychology (I'm trying to decide between the two at the moment!) I'd choose subjects that you're good at/enjoy doing - you're taking both biology and psychology; two science subjects seems sufficient for applying to do Psychology! I know of several people who have gone to do Psychology at uni with only 1 science! (That's what I'm counting on, haha) How many subjects do you have to choose, 3? Or 4 and drop one at the end of Year 12? :smile:

My school lets us take 4 and then drop one so it was the AS level that i wanted help on!! Hopefully one science is ok, but your subjects cover all bases so you should be good!!!! What unis are you looking at?
Thank you!! I think I might go with history and English, as your right about it opening new doors!!!

You're welcome! I hope everything goes well!
My school lets us take 4 and then drop one so it was the AS level that i wanted help on!! Hopefully one science is ok, but your subjects cover all bases so you should be good!!!! What unis are you looking at?

No clue about unis yet, I think I'm gonna wait until I get GCSE results and then hopefully I'll have a clearer opinion on what I want to do with my life :') How about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest