The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaadKaleem
Can easily be done with observation, sub in the x parameter equation, a very small value of t, say 0.01 (because 0 isn't included in the parameter domain) and observe what happens to x. You'll get a very large value of x.

Sub t=pi/2 in the x parametric equation, you'll get x=0.

Therefore the domain is x >= 0

You could also plot the cartesian graph, to observe.

thanks
Original post by sabahshahed294
https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab1d7be0a9ba38.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQXE5T2xiNDBRd2s/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf

In Q3a, when we are differentiating implicity, the combined x and y part(4xy in this case), what do we tend to do first? (Stupid question Ik, but I get stuck in this part ALL the time since I get confused and idk why though :s-smilie: ). A minor explanation or working would be helpful. TIA!

You need to use the product rule, carefully with brackets because the negative sign multiplies with all the terms.

Whenever you'll differentiate a "y" term, you'll have to put dy/dx infront of it, because you're actually differentiating with respect to x.

The reason behind this is, For example: It's as if the "dy's" cancel each other out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by michael242103
thanks

No Problem. :h: Feel free to tag me, if you're stuck in anything else.
You need to use the product rule, carefully with brackets because the negative sign multiplies with all the terms.

Whenever you'll differentiate a y term, you'll have to put dy/dx infront of it, because you're actually differentiating with respect to x.

Okay so it goes like this! So, we would differentiate this wrt to y as well in the next step right? (I mean the d/dy(9y) ) :s-smilie:
Okay so it goes like this! So, we would differentiate this wrt to y as well in the next step right? (I mean the d/dy(9y) ) :s-smilie:

Obviously to differentiate y, you'll have to differentiate with respect to y, but to make it "equivalent" you have to put dy/dx sign infront of it, as if they cancel. I've explained above.

Further on to differentiate, about the expression you're talking about:

Obviously to differentiate y, you'll have to differentiate with respect to y, but to make it "equivalent" you have to put dy/dx sign infront of it, as if they cancel. I've explained above.

Further on to differentiate, about the expression you're talking about:

I think I'm getting it now. :smile: Thanks. :smile: This will help me out now!
I think I'm getting it now. :smile: Thanks. :smile: This will help me out now!

Read my 1st post above again, edited it (if you haven't already), maybe you'll understand more clearly.
Read my 1st post above again, edited it (if you haven't already), maybe you'll understand more clearly.

Yeah I read. I just get confused in this part easily but I think a bit of practice now it'll be okay.(I hope :s-smilie: )
Can someone explain why these angles are the same?Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 22.31.12.png
Thnks
Original post by Louiseelg0rt
Can someone explain why these angles are the same?Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 22.31.12.png
Thnks

Isn't that from the IAL paper? that trig application question?

Compare the expressions for the cos or sin angles, Cos is much easier in this case. The first is x+30, the 2nd one is 2theta + 40.

so if you put 2theta + 10 into x, you'll get the expression 2theta + 40.

That's the reason, x= 2theta + 10.
Yeah I read. I just get confused in this part easily but I think a bit of practice now it'll be okay.(I hope :s-smilie: )

It's quite easy stuff, shouldn't be "hard" once you've practiced a bit.
Can somebody who finds the rates questions really easy tell me what they did in terms of practise? Ive done a fair bit of these questions but still find im not as comfortable doing them as say an integration question - getting pretty frustrated. Perhaps I'm not approaching them the right way?
Original post by lordoftheties
Can somebody who finds the rates questions really easy tell me what they did in terms of practise? Ive done a fair bit of these questions but still find im not as comfortable doing them as say an integration question - getting pretty frustrated. Perhaps I'm not approaching them the right way?

Post a question for example and I'll be able to help. :hugs:

Generally, I'd try to draw a shape of the object & from there figure out what units of the value they've given for example, say they've given 120 cms^-1 <--- I know straight away thats dx/dt from the units and then write something along like
dx/dt ---> dx/dv . dv/dt.

Post a example where its involved as a integration question as I can't recall how they are if they are put in a integration context as generally they are by themselves as a separate question but I should still be able to help. :smile:
Crash course of vectors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RglgO93VfM

A little might be missed out but enough to get started on Past papers!
Original post by кяя
Thanks for your quick replies!
What would you suggest for an effective revision schedule? I have C3, C4 and S2 but C3 is done I just need practice papers now. I was thinking:

1. Textbook/Exam Solutions
2. Past papers
3. Solomon Papers
Original post by ryandaniels2015
Crash course of vectors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RglgO93VfM

A little might be missed out but enough to get started on Past papers!

What's left out?
How do you get from 8^(1/6) to root2??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
How do you get from 8^(1/6) to root2??

Posted from TSR Mobile

duh.
Original post by lordoftheties

Connected rates of change are often similar types of question. Ideas include:
Think what the 3 differentials in your equation must be
Use units from the question to help you
Think what basic shape info you need to create your missing differential

Please put up a question you don't like for us to look at

Quick Reply

Latest