The Student Room Group

Probably the first P2 Edexcel GCSE post on TSR 2016

You guys ready?
I'm not :frown:
Not ready but also don't care because Its my last exam and then I'm free :tongue:
It's going to be easssy, face it. This years science papers don't even require effortt.
Original post by TSlayerr
You guys ready?
I'm not :frown:

Have u got any predictions?
Has any one got any predictions? My teacher predicted the potential topics for 6 marks:
- terminal velocity (application of knowledge type question)
- The conditions needed for fission and/or fusion and how to control them
- validity of results ( EG: why should you take a background radiation reading before actual reading etc)
- Disposing of waste (HLW/MLW/LLW)

Have anyone else's teacher's predicted the same/similar topics?
Reply 5
I could really do with a static electricity six marker to even stand a chance of passing tomorrow haha! :frown:
Original post by navjotkaurjohal
Has any one got any predictions? My teacher predicted the potential topics for 6 marks:
- The conditions needed for fission and/or fusion and how to control them
- validity of results ( EG: why should you take a background radiation reading before actual reading etc)

Have anyone else's teacher's predicted the same/similar topics?

What r the conditions needed for fusion and fission???
Original post by tinyshadow0
What r the conditions needed for fusion and fission???

Fission:
- there aren't many but the main one seems to be high speed neutrons to collide with the Uranium-235 atom to cause the whole fission process in the first place.
- Controlling the conditions in a nuclear power station requires: control rods are made from boron and are used to absorb extra neutrons to control the chain reaction, fuel rods this is where the U-235 atom is actually placed so it is the place of fission and a moderator which is made of sodium and it slows down the neutrons so the can be absorbed by the U-235 atom.

Fusion: It is the process in which stars (like the Sun) make their energy
- Extremely high temperatures (around 150,000,000 degress celsius) and high pressures are needed. However these are difficult to achieve on Earth as we don't have the same pressures, temperature or the same amount of Hydrogen isotopes to create a big-scale reaction.

Also, make sure you know the differences between each and know which one is safer and produces less waste and why

Sorry for the amount of writing, hope it helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Fission:
- there aren't many but the main one seems to be high speed neutrons to collide with the Uranium-235 atom to cause the whole fission process in the first place.
- Controlling the conditions in a nuclear power station requires: control rods are made from boron and are used to absorb extra neutrons to control the chain reaction, fuel rods this is where the U-235 atom is actually placed so it is the place of fission and a moderator which is made of sodium and it slows down the neutrons so the can be absorbed by the U-235 atom.

Fusion: It is the process in which stars (like the Sun) make their energy
- Extremely high temperatures (around 150,000,000 degress celsius) and high pressures are needed. However these are difficult to achieve on Earth as we don't have the same pressures, temperature or the same amount of Hydrogen isotopes to create a big-scale reaction.

Also, make sure you know the differences between each and know which one is safer and produces less waste and why

Sorry for the amount of writing, hope it helps :smile:

what are the answers for these next questions?? u seem so clever so im going to ask u if u dont mind :smile: :

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Talkand...Talk
what are the answers for these next questions?? u seem so clever so im going to ask u if u dont mind :smile: :

Thank you :biggrin:

Haha no I don't mind but Thankyou!

So for terminal velocity a potential 6 marker may feature a graph or table of some sort and some statements using a particular example (eg a skydiver jumping out of a plane and using a parachute). If you get a question like this you need to mention what terminal velocity actually is ( different forces balancing to provide the velocity the to stay constant) and you need to mention the different forces available for your example. You need to also state whether or not these forces are balanced and when they will become balanced and how that affects the acceleration and velocity of the person. I think this type of question is quite difficult to explain because you can "waffle" about it. I'll upload a picture of my notes and they might help.

Validity of results you need to talk about background radiation. As you probably know to measure the radiation of an object you use a Geiger-Müller tube. You needed to measure the background radiation of the area around the object before, put the object near the tube and then measure the background radiation after. Then you subtract the radiation before from after and that gives you the radiation of the object. This is an experiment which you may have done in lessons. You need to mention that and explain why you take several readings (eg it gives an average and is more accurate, makes results reliable etc)

Lastly disposing of waste. There are3 types: high level waste, medium level waste and low level waste.

High level waste is only high for around 50 years and then eventually turns into low level waste. It is normally waste from reactions in power stations (eg control rods and fuel rods). After 50 years the waste becomes medium level waste and is put into glass and then dumped at sea because glass doesn't dissolve in water and then it is put into steel containers. Low level waste is usually from hospitals (eg gloves, badges and hospital equipment) It is dumped into special landfill sites.

You also need to know the 3 types of methods for disposing waste which is dumping it at sea, burying it underground or firing it into space.

Really hope this helps. TEllme if it doesn't make sense and I can try to re-explain it.:smile:
image.jpeg
Haha no I don't mind but Thankyou!

So for terminal velocity a potential 6 marker may feature a graph or table of some sort and some statements using a particular example (eg a skydiver jumping out of a plane and using a parachute). If you get a question like this you need to mention what terminal velocity actually is ( different forces balancing to provide the velocity the to stay constant) and you need to mention the different forces available for your example. You need to also state whether or not these forces are balanced and when they will become balanced and how that affects the acceleration and velocity of the person. I think this type of question is quite difficult to explain because you can "waffle" about it. I'll upload a picture of my notes and they might help.

Validity of results you need to talk about background radiation. As you probably know to measure the radiation of an object you use a Geiger-Müller tube. You needed to measure the background radiation of the area around the object before, put the object near the tube and then measure the background radiation after. Then you subtract the radiation before from after and that gives you the radiation of the object. This is an experiment which you may have done in lessons. You need to mention that and explain why you take several readings (eg it gives an average and is more accurate, makes results reliable etc)

Lastly disposing of waste. There are3 types: high level waste, medium level waste and low level waste.

High level waste is only high for around 50 years and then eventually turns into low level waste. It is normally waste from reactions in power stations (eg control rods and fuel rods). After 50 years the waste becomes medium level waste and is put into glass and then dumped at sea because glass doesn't dissolve in water and then it is put into steel containers. Low level waste is usually from hospitals (eg gloves, badges and hospital equipment) It is dumped into special landfill sites.

You also need to know the 3 types of methods for disposing waste which is dumping it at sea, burying it underground or firing it into space.

Really hope this helps. TEllme if it doesn't make sense and I can try to re-explain it.:smile:
image.jpeg

Hi
Thank u so much!!!!!
could u phrehaps turn the pic round??
thanku again

ur so nice and helpful :biggrin: the best and most cleverist user i know :biggrin:
it makes COMPLETE sense and ty fr ur offer to try and re-explain
so nice!! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think terminal velocity will come up as a 6 marker. I did Edexcel physics last year and that was our 6 Marker. But then again questions may be re used. Good luck guys
Hey guys! How'd you find the exam?
Hey guys! How'd you find the exam?

it was actually not even that bad.all of the questions were doable and were really similar to the previous papers.the 6 markers were a bit iffy though.i felt like i didn't really know what to write so i just waffled a lot in hopes that the examiner would find marks in between the nonsense.not to bothered though because the other two papers went quite well.
fingers crossed we get the grades we want
Reply 14
hey may i ask what was the 6 markers on the edexcel p2 2016 paper ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending