The Student Room Group

Calling all africans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
It's so annoying getting told that you "Don't look African"
And people like to accuse every attractive black women as being "A white women dipped in chocolate" it's stupid.

Exactly like come-one how are people who live on the 2nd largest continent expected to look the same. You will never see an east asian or south asian or Russian being told you don't look asian, this argument is ludicrous!
Original post by Kiniun
@alexschmalex

Should we trow him hout?

Abeg let us!

The hardest part about being African is dealing with all these Ghanaian pretenders

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
Exactly like come-one how are people who live on the 2nd largest continent expected to look the same. You will never see an east asian or south asian or Russian being told you don't look asian, this argument is ludicrous!

I'm Nigerian and people always tell me I don't look it, which is stupid af because Nigerians don't even have a distinctive look.
I don't like North Africans and Horn Africans looking down on me. I know not all do but everyone I've met have and it pisses me off. I don't care if you don't 'identify' as African. You aren't better than me because you're Arab.

I also don't like other Africans who were born abroad looking down on me for being born and brought up in Africa and calling me a 'freshie' and being surprised that I speak good English and listen to rock music.

I don't like the attitude towards mental health and how my mental illness is most likely a 'spiritual problem'
Original post by alexschmalex
"Do you have electricity in Africa?"
"Wow, how come you speak such good English? I thought you all speak African at home!"
"What was it like living in a house for the first time when you came here?"
"Did it take you long to get used to cooked food?"
"So can you hunt?"
"Are you friends with wild jungle animals?"
"Are you sure you don't mean Canada? I've never heard of Cameroon!"
"If you're African, how can you afford all these nice things?"
"Is your family poor?"
"Did you experience a lot of oppression there?"
"Oh you have a normal name for an African. Is it pronounced differently? Are you sure??" (Seriously this vexes me, how else is Alex pronounced pls?)

The worst part is that I didn't even have to make these up, each of these things has all been said to me on at least 2 occasions if not more. And I've never even lived outside of Europe smh

How have you not killed someone yet
Original post by StrawbAri

I don't like the attitude towards mental health and how my mental illness is most likely a 'spiritual problem'

This x100
Original post by alexschmalex
"Do you have electricity in Africa?"
"Wow, how come you speak such good English? I thought you all speak African at home!"
"What was it like living in a house for the first time when you came here?"
"Did it take you long to get used to cooked food?"
"So can you hunt?"
"Are you friends with wild jungle animals?"
"Are you sure you don't mean Canada? I've never heard of Cameroon!"
"If you're African, how can you afford all these nice things?"
"Is your family poor?"
"Did you experience a lot of oppression there?"
"Oh you have a normal name for an African. Is it pronounced differently? Are you sure??" (Seriously this vexes me, how else is Alex pronounced pls?)

The worst part is that I didn't even have to make these up, each of these things has all been said to me on at least 2 occasions if not more. And I've never even lived outside of Europe smh

Do you speak African ffs :rolleyes:
It's like ***** do you speak European ?

And it's so funny because we're supposed to be the uneducated ones :rofl:
People love my surname and love saying t but I don't see anything special cuz I'm so used to it 😂😂
Explaining to people what jollof rice is and then correcting them when they mispronounce it, only to find out that they were purposely mispronouncing just to poke fun at my culture.
Explaining why I don't eat roast dinner on Sundays because in my family we don't have a traditional dish to eat on Sundays.
*sigh* Explaining what juju is and inwardly cringing when people curse themselves and others with it foolishly.
Having people walk up to me saying "fufu and rice" in a horribly bad Nigerian accent.
It's so annoying getting told that you "Don't look African"
And people like to accuse every attractive black women as being "A white women dipped in chocolate" it's stupid.

Well I've said this to people but I obviously mean it to say like "you don't look like" ...dunno..."Akon." But I myself am aware that there are different types of people in Africa but they're essentially immigrants. The native Africans and models like Iman mostly don't look alike. Only in certain regions.
Original post by 0to100
Well I've said this to people but I obviously mean it to say like "you don't look like" ...dunno..."Akon." But I myself am aware that there are different types of people in Africa but they're essentially immigrants. The native Africans and models like Iman mostly don't look alike. Only in certain regions.

... You do know that's actually really rude? So because I don't look like Akon it's okay to say I don't look like the country I originate from? Or are you trying to say that all African girls resemble Akon?
... You do know that's actually really rude? So because I don't look like Akon it's okay to say I don't look like the country I originate from? Or are you trying to say that all African girls resemble Akon?

How is it rude though? It's like saying to someone you don't look European. While it's ignorant it's not always intended to be "rude."
And come on most African people of African heritage, not just living there, look like Akon. And Idk what you look like. And Africa isn't a country so saying you don't look African is not saying what I put in bold.
Original post by 0to100
How is it rude though? It's like saying to someone you don't look European. While it's ignorant it's not always intended to be "rude."
And come on most African people of African heritage, not just living there, look like Akon. And Idk what you look like. And Africa isn't a country so saying you don't look African is not saying what I put in bold.

Looooooord have mercy :lol: Are you trolling?
Original post by 0to100

Why would you admit your post is ignorant...and then go on to say another ignorant thing...?
I'm African and can tell you that one of my worst problems happen to be women.
Original post by 0to100

It is rude because it's making ridiculous stereotypes. You are basically saying all African girls look like Akon- How is that not rude? So if someone tells me I don't look African they are trying to say it's because I am not really dark, really wide nose etc..? sorry, that's really stupid. You get Africans of all skin tones and hair types IN Africa aswell.
Original post by dmy15
Nigeria :smile:

Ayy my brother. <3
Does it count if I'm Jamaican*joins thread anyway*

Worst thing is probably the skin colour difference on the back of my hand vs my palm. It's the contrast. For example I'll wake up in the morning and rub my eyes gently with the back of my hand and All's good, suddenly I turn my hands over to grab my phone and I'm struck by bright white reflective light emitting from my white as hell palm. This is near blinding especially at times of the morning. This is probably the biggest problem, I always forget that my palm is white but I am black.
making fun of your name
like bloody hell, I'd rather have a unique, weirdass surname than a surname that's one of the 4
sorry to anyone who got offended I guess...
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Looooooord have mercy :lol: Are you trolling?

Why did you bold the Akon bit? Is he not African?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending