The Student Room Group

Anyone sick of fat acceptance and the 'big is beautiful' campaign?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prussia1
At the end of the day, big is not beautiful but looks lazy. Why should we be accepting that it's ok to be obese? It's sending the message to children that it's ok to be twice the weight of let's say a five year old. Fat people come across as greedy and I'm sick of seeing people too huge to fit in my field of vision.

A wise man once said ... "everybody is my rival and my competition" - Dom Mazetti
tbh yep.
Ik i'm slightly overweight, I do mean slightly to my credit not like anything bad but just not that 'toned' thing.
Anyway ik i'm ugly like it is a fact and I don't expect anyone to say otherwise.
Having said that a lot of ugly ppl like me know they are ugly so don't need it like pointed out 100 times a day :smile:
Bear in mind that a lot of people are trying :smile:
Original post by 0to100
:nothing: Do you understand I'm asking you to explain your reasoning...?
Oh ffs I'll do it for you then: you're saying, you're supposedly skinny but lazy. You're saying this because you for some reason (which I'm trying to discover) are defending fat people and denying their obvious laziness, simply because you want to argue the op's logic? I wanna know..why you're doing this.

My point is being skinny doesn't necessarily mean someone's healthy.
Original post by saraxh
My point is being skinny doesn't necessarily mean someone's healthy.

:facepalm2: Again why are you pointing this out? Why are you playing devil's advocate right now?
I agree. I am totally for body positivity but I know what that really means; it's not the delusional crap these fat acceptance movements are going on about.

Body positivity is not just about being happy WITH yourself but being good TO yourself. Treating your body right and nourishing it (but not to the extent of being morbidly obese). How you can you say that you practice body positivity while being dangerously overweight? That is NOT body positivity! That is laziness and a sheer disregard for, you guessed it, your body! In fact, fat acceptance is less of not caring about what others think and more of not caring about the fact that you are slowly destroying your body.

People argue that "you can be healthy and fat" and, well, this really doesn't mean anything. You can't deny that being overweight DOES significantly increase your risk for heart disease and other conditions. That one person you know who is obese and hasn't come face-to-face with a life-threatening disease or condition throughout their life YET is, unfortunately, the exception.

We shouldn't be praising extremely skinny bodies or overweight bodies either. I'm not saying we should body-shame, because that's not going to achieve anything except from giving this movement even more steam. But you shouldn't accept being fat. (This applies to those who are fat by choice btw) Because all you are really saying is "I'm fat and I don't care if I get severely sick because of it!" and that's just stupid.

Oh and don't even get me started on people who say "But x or y regularly goes to the gym and eats healthy food! It's just impossible for them to lose weight!" Honey, that's not how science works. You burn more calories than you eat. Simple as that. Obviously, it's easier said than done but it is not impossible for ANYONE to lose weight. Even a slow metabolism CANNOT be that slow that you have ended up obese.

What we should be doing is encouraging healthy and strong body types and teaching healthy eating habits. Being clinically obese just isn't good for you and you SHOULDN'T be happy that you're basically digging your own grave.

And then you have the whole taxpayer thing...
Reply 45
Being fat is OBJECTIVELY unhealthy. It OBJECTIVELY causes various medical conditions such as diabetes, and OBJECTIVELY shortens your life. I don't treat fat people any differently or think of them any worse - their bodies, their choice - but we should NOT be legitimating it, let alone claim it's better than being a healthy weight. People should be held to higher standards. The same applies to being unhealthily underweight.
Original post by JoePFR
Being fat is OBJECTIVELY unhealthy. It OBJECTIVELY causes various medical conditions such as diabetes, and OBJECTIVELY shortens your life. I don't treat fat people any differently or think of them any worse - their bodies, their choice - but we should NOT be legitimating it, let alone claim it's better than being a healthy weight. People should be held to higher standards. The same applies to being unhealthily underweight.

There are very few people who say its healthy. They tend to be defensive people who have had enough of people trying to shame them. They would be a tiny % of all people who are overweight 2/3 of the UK or obese 1/4 UK.
Original post by joepfr
being fat is objectively unhealthy. It objectively causes various medical conditions such as diabetes, and objectively shortens your life. I don't treat fat people any differently or think of them any worse - their bodies, their choice - but we should not be legitimating it, let alone claim it's better than being a healthy weight. People should be held to higher standards. The same applies to being unhealthily underweight.

****ing amen to that!

Someone get this guy a medal!

Exactly! I agree with you so much i had to type in all-caps.
At the end of the day, big is not beautiful but looks lazy. Why should we be accepting that it's ok to be obese? It's sending the message to children that it's ok to be twice the weight of let's say a five year old. Fat people come across as greedy and I'm sick of seeing people too huge to fit in my field of vision.

!I'm not fat i'm just big boned"
Reply 49
Original post by 999tigger
There are very few people who say its healthy. They tend to be defensive people who have had enough of people trying to shame them. They would be a tiny % of all people who are overweight 2/3 of the UK or obese 1/4 UK.

I agree, it's a vocal minority.
Reply 50

So, a few thoughts:
- don't think the campaign you refer to exists. All I am aware of is a legitimate push back against models having to be anorexic
- body weight is not a simplistic matter, as one might hope the intelligentsia of the nation, present on TSR, might be able to grasp
- probably best to just mind your own business and focus on addressing your own odious issues
Original post by Zarek
So, a few thoughts:
- don't think the campaign you refer to exists. All I am aware of is a legitimate push back against models having to be anorexic
- body weight is not a simplistic matter, as one might hope the intelligentsia of the nation, present on TSR, might be able to grasp
- probably best to just mind your own business and focus on addressing your own odious issues

Look up Health At Every Size (HAES). You'll probably wish you hadn't, but fat-is-healthy groups do exist and are relatively prominent.
Fat is not beautiful. It is laziness and unhealthiness.
Get it into your fat heads everyone. Fat is fat. Fat is bad and unhealthy.
Anyone care to link this campaign or political movement? I got a campaign from Dove and one from Debenhams aimed at using normal models.

the OP seems to take great stick what someone called Gemma Collins says?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Anyone care to link this campaign or political movement?

HAES?

Doesn't sound so bad, until you consider some of its proponents, such as Ragen Chastain.
Reply 55
[QUOTE=Mactotaur;65853467]Look up Health At Every Size (HAES). You'll probably wish you hadn't, but fat-is-healthy groups do exist and are relatively prominent.
Firstly, I've never heard or this and then a browse provides little evidence that it's mainstream and prominent. The health issues associated with being over weight are well appreciated.
I think it should be fine as long as they are within healthy limits.
Original post by Zarek
Firstly, I've never heard or this and then a browse provides little evidence that it's mainstream and prominent. The health issues associated with being over weight are well appreciated.

These ones aren't English, but they're pretty prominent (and sell a lot of books): Ragen Chastain, Marilyn Wann, Peggy Howell.
the thing that gets me is that if a popular fat girl were to post a photo of themselves in a bikini on instagram there's no doubt they'd get plenty of comments about body positivity and how they should be proud and how good they look whereas if a popular skinny girl posts a photo on instagram in a bikini she gets questions asking if she's anorexic or people saying "you're a role model why are you letting girls think this is ok" when they're actually perfectly healthy. personally i'd rather have a slim frame than have lots of excess fat on my body.
I'm more sick of people who don't know how to mind their own ****ing business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending