The Student Room Group

A woman's right to a surname

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IFoundWonderland
I'm unsure if you meant to say intelligible or intelligent.

Intelligible means comprehensible. If you struggle to understand what I said, it merely renders it absolutely true.

I type fast but I was supposed totype intelligen
Again I have been providing a reasonable response, and you have jumped in and insulted me for no reason and that says more about you.
Original post by Blue_Mason
I have given you perfect examples, heck you can even ask people who are married and they will say the same thing.
It is not hard to understand.

Perfect examples of the tradition, yes. But you haven't given any justification for the claim that women should take their husbands' surnames - all you've done is repeat what is traditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I type fast but I was supposed totype intelligen
Again I have been providing a reasonable response, and you have jumped in and insulted me for no reason and that says more about you.

I replied to your question.

Your endless drivel says much about you.

I pick and choose who I debate with on TSR. If someone appears intelligent and even if I disagree with them, but their points are interesting, I will indulge myself. Then there are those who respond thoughtlessly and ignorantly. I choose to filter them out.
Original post by Implication
Perfect examples of the tradition, yes. But you haven't given any justification for the claim that women should take their husbands' surnames - all you've done is repeat what is traditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is apart of social conditioning that has been sprung on from generation to generation, as the husband was or is seen as the head of the household and the wife is second in place of leadership.
It is a social role that has a natural element to it, and the belief of a woman submitting to her husband.
Original post by Al-farhan
What is the Arab Christian tradition when it comes to this, do women take up husband's surname?

To each their own. Some women do and some keep their father's surname instead,but for me personally,I will prefer to either change it or have it hyphenated
It is apart of social conditioning that has been sprung on from generation to generation, as the husband was or is seen as the head of the household and the wife is second in place of leadership.
It is a social role that has a natural element to it, and the belief of a woman submitting to her husband.

But now you're explaining why it does happen, not why it should!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IFoundWonderland
If someone appears intelligent and even if I disagree with them, but their points are interesting, I will indulge myself. Then there are those who respond thoughtlessly and ignorantly. I choose to filter them out.
Guys check out this smartypants trying to act cool on the internet. Would you like a celebratory cookie?

How hypocritical must you be to say you filter out thoughtless responses when you called someone a moron as your response literally 1 post earlier lol. Jesus christ

Original post by shanayjb
Hence why the question posed says predominantly
Then it's nothing to do with women's rights at all. All the women that choose to do it are volunteering. You can actually keep both your surname + add your husbands surname if you want. Or you can keep your name as it is. Or even ask the husband to change his. Nothing is restricted so no rights are being breached here.

/thread
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Well, they have a right to keep their name if they want to, and nobody is forcing them to change it, so no rights are being infringed.

I think OP means that traditionally, the woman takes the mans name. Why is it not the other way round?
Original post by shanayjb
Women predominantly take the name of their husband in heterosexual marriages, does this contradict contempory women's rights?

I know what you mean, but the wording was a little off. Should have a used a different word than 'rights'. I would happily take my husbands surname, but is it weird that I would be slightly offended if he expected it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending