The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
My MPhil application got transferred to the advanced diploma in the same department and is now "Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies." I am getting very excited but nevertheless remain cautiously optimistic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2921
Original post by tsukurutazaki
I'm sure that this is written on the website and has been answered before, but can anybody tell me when we have to pay tuition fees for MPhils? Does it have to be upfront or can it be in instalments?

If I remember correctly is college-dependent. Some colleges will want you to pay your first instalment before the start of your course, other during the term. You have to check what are the rules in yours.
Reply 2922
Conditional Offer Made!!!!

This is a dream come true; Cambridge here I come!
Original post by Alexander I
How strict is Cambridge with the academic condition? If you have met all the conditions (financial undertaking, language test etc.) but may be short on your marks, how would this be met by the department? I know that they would still consider you, but what is the probability of being admitted, especially if your course is not the most competitive one at Cambridge?

"Cambridge' isn't strict at all, it has no say. The academic department makes a % of over-offers to compensate for the relatively large number of people who can't find funding and the relatively small number who fail to achieve the academic targets etc.

Whether, if you miss your academic condition, you are allowed to take up your place is an entirely individual decision based on the number of firm places already accepted and forecasts, your complete profile (were you otherwise excellent or weak), what the politics of progress are (is this course trying to raise academic standards, get more PhD students out of the end etc), does your Supervisor still want to supervise you etc etc. It's impossible to say other than most people who miss their academic condition won't be able to take up their place, but a few will.
Have any of you heard back regarding your college yet? My second choice college has had my application for a week now. How long do they usually take to decide?
Original post by Maria Z
Hey guys! Congrats to all who have an offer!! I got accepted for an MPhil about a month ago, but my application seems to have stuck at my second college preference (Emmanuel) for three weeks now. Doesn't that seem like a bit too much? Has anyone had a similar problem?

I realise it's been awhile since you posted but my application is also stuck at Emma. How long did it take for them to get back to you or are you still waiting?
Original post by Newkidintown
I realise it's been awhile since you posted but my application is also stuck at Emma. How long did it take for them to get back to you or are you still waiting?

It took Emma about three weeks to get back to me and I was not accepted. My application was then pooled and I got allocated to a college 3-4 days later. It seems like a long wait, but I suppose that it was a busy period for the college. Hope everything turns out ok for you :smile:
I know that the deadline for accepting MPhil offers is the end of July, but if we found out that we were unable to attend after this date, due to financial restrictions or whatever, would we be able to get out of the commitment?
Original post by tsukurutazaki
I know that the deadline for accepting MPhil offers is the end of July, but if we found out that we were unable to attend after this date, due to financial restrictions or whatever, would we be able to get out of the commitment?

Yes, there is no commitment. You just email and say sorry, not coming.
Original post by Maria Z
It took Emma about three weeks to get back to me and I was not accepted. My application was then pooled and I got allocated to a college 3-4 days later. It seems like a long wait, but I suppose that it was a busy period for the college. Hope everything turns out ok for you :smile:

Thanks! Do you think it'd be ok to email them and ask if they're full? I'm trying to decide between Cambridge and Durham and I'd need to accept Durham today if I want to keep my place...

I guess is it safe to assume that I'll be allocated a college?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! Do you think it'd be ok to email them and ask if they're full? I'm trying to decide between Cambridge and Durham and I'd need to accept Durham today if I want to keep my place...

If you have an offer from your department or faculty that has been approved by the Board of Graduate Studies, you are guaranteed a college place. It's just that you're coming in towards the end of the process, and so there's likely a bit of jockeying about who still has space etc.

As gutenberg said above, you are guranteed a college place if you have an offer from the University. It just may not be Emmanuel.

As above, a College place is certain. You can accept any postgrad place without and come back if you change your mind. if a university wants 'yes' to mean 'yes' they ask for a deposit, ie a financial commitment. Otherwise, there is no point sitting on open offers.
Thanks haha I just heard back from Emma--I guess I'm in the pool haha. Thanks for all your advice.
Hi there, I got accepted by the department and now awaiting degree committee and board approvals... Anyone knows what criteria they assess? What are the possibilities of not getting an offer at this stage? Thanks x
Original post by AliceLewis
Hi there, I got accepted by the department and now awaiting degree committee and board approvals... Anyone knows what criteria they assess? What are the possibilities of not getting an offer at this stage? Thanks x

When department applications go to the degree committee it is largely for benchmarking reasons, ie multiple degree courses are working from one 'pot' of student numbers and finances. The meetings ensure that Course A is consistently selecting applicants to the same standard as Course B, and it then arbitrates if Course C says it is having a particularly strong year and wants to make more offers, negotiating with A and B to take fewer etc. There is simply no way to know what your chances are at this point without knowing the specific workings of the degree committee - do the courses bring spares along to the board, what is the current position wrt improving academic performance, are there departmental strengths to develop, how are other courses filling up etc.

Once you get through the degree committee, the BoGS stage is usually a formality, provided your application is legitimate.
Reply 2936
Original post by threeportdrift
When department applications go to the degree committee it is largely for benchmarking reasons, ie multiple degree courses are working from one 'pot' of student numbers and finances. The meetings ensure that Course A is consistently selecting applicants to the same standard as Course B, and it then arbitrates if Course C says it is having a particularly strong year and wants to make more offers, negotiating with A and B to take fewer etc. There is simply no way to know what your chances are at this point without knowing the specific workings of the degree committee - do the courses bring spares along to the board, what is the current position wrt improving academic performance, are there departmental strengths to develop, how are other courses filling up etc.

Once you get through the degree committee, the BoGS stage is usually a formality, provided your application is legitimate.

And just to add to your point, for many departments, it seems the real evaluation first occurs from the degree committee stage. Once all my papers were submitted, it only took me three days to move from department to degree committee, while it took over an entire month to move from degree committee to BoGS/Offer made.
Original post by SethP
And just to add to your point, for many departments, it seems the real evaluation first occurs from the degree committee stage. Once all my papers were submitted, it only took me three days to move from department to degree committee, while it took over an entire month to move from degree committee to BoGS/Offer made.

That's not to do with the degree of assessment made, simply the timing of an application folder arriving versus a person making time to read them and the timing of meetings. Your papers just arrived on the relevant academic's desk in the few days they were focussing on making their recommendations before the degree committee meeting.

The degree committee meeting date never equates directly to a move to BoGS, most applications come out of the degree committee meeting with caveats, checks, ie additional questions to be sorted, before they move on to BoGS or don't, so the meeting dates are not a very reliable guide to action.
Reply 2938
Original post by threeportdrift
That's not to do with the degree of assessment made, simply the timing of an application folder arriving versus a person making time to read them and the timing of meetings. Your papers just arrived on the relevant academic's desk in the few days they were focussing on making their recommendations before the degree committee meeting.

The degree committee meeting date never equates directly to a move to BoGS, most applications come out of the degree committee meeting with caveats, checks, ie additional questions to be sorted, before they move on to BoGS or don't, so the meeting dates are not a very reliable guide to action.

Oh, I don't refute that for one moment. My offer came around three weeks after my department's last degree committee meeting, so there is certainly no correlation between the meeting dates and offers.

What I am arguing is that department approval is often simply an administrative step of collecting an application and moving it to the degree committee, which then makes the ultimate decision on granting offers.
Oh no really? I had in mind that the major decision is the department not the committee... Ok now I'm worried again...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending