The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Religious Studies, Unit 3, Developments: What to revise?

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone do anthologies for unit 4... schneewind la foulette jamieson???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by zzinah
Can anyone explain unit 4 to me, like what we have to revise? I'm self-teaching. And do you guys think I have enough time to revise if I start on the 15th to the 21st?

If anyone has any sampler essays or just notes that explain wtf the exam is about that would be appreciated.

Unit 4 is about implications, I'm taking the exam on philosophy of religion, and you basically examine the passage and link it back to parts of the course you've previously covered in part a. And in part b, it's just outlining the implications of that philosophers' views on human experience, morality and religion.

I'm slightly self teaching since I have two exams that week, and not enough time. I've got some notes on it, but I'm not sure how helpful you'll find it: http://revisionwithgin.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Philosophy%20and%20Ethics%3A%20IMPLICATIONS%20%28edexcel%29

Good luck with the exam, I'm starting revision on the 15th too! x
Guys I'm really stressed !
I did religion and morality which was brilliant spent so much time on it though.
Then religious language was ok, part ii was weird though I did language games, strengths of it then weaknesses saying we could use analogy instead ect.
Then I only revised religious experience so had no idea about critiques (silly I know ) bit had geography exam n psychology in the past week. I spoke about Ludwig Wittenstein as I just thought he was an athiest and his idea of seeing as?
Then for part ii it was better spoke about inductive and principle of credulity and testimony ?
How much marks do u think I will get ?
So annoyed I didn't revise atheism ...... I'll be lucky with a D lol oh well got a B last year just gotta smash unit 4!
Reply 83
hey guys, Can someone please let me know which one is most likely to come in unit 4 this year, Ayer, Westphal or donavon?? I really need to know, I'm so stressed.
Reply 84
what did people write for the atheism/ religious experience question?
Original post by amiromog
hey guys, Can someone please let me know which one is most likely to come in unit 4 this year, Ayer, Westphal or donavon?? I really need to know, I'm so stressed.

Most likely Ayer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ayer
Reply 87
Original post by kate907
what did people write for the atheism/ religious experience question?

AO1 I put sociological critiques: Marx, Nietzsche, Thomas Paine and Durkeim.
AO2 I put that experiences are 'self authenticating' as James says and spoke about William Alston and some examples. Criticised experiences with scientific explanations such as Newburg and then said corporate experiences can be seen an genuine as they are more numerically valid. Concluded by saying they are valid to the believer and can't be proved wrong for them but obviously can be for the atheist.

What did you put? :smile:
anybody got a good implications essay AO2 for Ayer?
what did people get for A02 question on religious language I put that Wittgenstein rejected falsification and verification as it only offered scientific facts and did not look at the form of life 'religion'. and just some strengths and weaknesses (only a few) of falsification and verification.
Original post by gemstone100
Does anyone do anthologies for unit 4... schneewind la foulette jamieson???

Posted from TSR Mobile

yesss i am! think we're the only ones lool
Reply 91
Original post by amiromog

Don't risk it, the least likely is Donovan, but I wouldn't risk it at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yaay finally someone lol... what do u think will come up and like how do actually answer the question its sooo hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skytrenfield
do you have any notes??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really sorry! It's confused me the whole year and I've just put it off basically so now i don't know what to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gin44
Unit 4 is about implications, I'm taking the exam on philosophy of religion, and you basically examine the passage and link it back to parts of the course you've previously covered in part a. And in part b, it's just outlining the implications of that philosophers' views on human experience, morality and religion.

I'm slightly self teaching since I have two exams that week, and not enough time. I've got some notes on it, but I'm not sure how helpful you'll find it: http://revisionwithgin.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Philosophy%20and%20Ethics%3A%20IMPLICATIONS%20%28edexcel%29

Good luck with the exam, I'm starting revision on the 15th too! x

Just had a look at your website and it's SO helpful, literally so good!! Thank you so much for linking it! I've had a really crap philosophy teacher this year, so was so scared for implications as I did not understand it - but after looking on your website I finally get it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Original post by taraperry
what did people get for A02 question on religious language I put that Wittgenstein rejected falsification and verification as it only offered scientific facts and did not look at the form of life 'religion'. and just some strengths and weaknesses (only a few) of falsification and verification.

Damn, that sounds like a good answer. I don't think I used Wittgenstein to evaluate Ayer and Popper. I just talked about the strengths and weaknesses of language games as a means of viewing religious language.

Also, was it just me or was there barely any time to write? I had to write non-stop and by the time I got to the ethics question I had to rush it because I was almost out of time!
ao1) Psychological criqitue; Freud's view that reigion is the extention of the personality and a mental construct, Oedipus Complex, neurotic obsessive disorder, supported by totem research and Dawkin's primal hordes theory, God being the ultimate father figure, God being the omnipotent protector in a defenceless world full of evil and violence, Feuerbach's argument that God is the projection of the human desire for immorality, and linked Kierkegaard's view on exxistential anxiety to the omnipotent protector point (mainly Freud)
ao2) Weaknesses of Freud's argument (lacks evidence, based on assumptions - used Malinowski), Strengths of rel exp argument; life-changing (James and Alston, Francis of Assisi and Prophet Muhammah as examples), it appeals to human nature (Swinburne's Principles, Owen's intuition argument), then the fact that it's logical that a God would want to communicate with His creations (Swinburne again, Buber's I-Thou, Hick's epistemic distance). Concluded however that neither is stronger as they both require faith in their theories or arguments as neither are empirically verifiable. Quoted Dawkins "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" :smile:
Didn't write much - only like 5 sides for both ao1 and ao2, it was v concise
What did everyone else do?
I am doing the Ayer, Westphal and Donovon essays but I really do not have enough time to revise all 3. Shall I just focus on Ayer and Westphal?
Or is that TOO risky? :colondollar::frown:
Original post by sophiehaddad
I am doing the Ayer, Westphal and Donovon essays but I really do not have enough time to revise all 3. Shall I just focus on Ayer and Westphal?
Or is that TOO risky? :colondollar::frown:

that's what I'm doing!!!
I'm not doing much Westphal either but that's really risky..
Original post by jxnnywilsxn
that's what I'm doing!!!
I'm not doing much Westphal either but that's really risky..

Are you completely ignoring Donovon? I'm really considering it...
I have 4 days to do it all and it feels like I'm basically teaching myself it rather than revising because my teacher was awful (he ended up getting sacked half way through, so we've had a supply teacher try her hardest to teach it!) It's been a bit of a nightmare:frown: I'm hoping Ayer comes up since it's the shortest so easier to go through! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending