The Student Room Group

Making complaint about a module?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fortunaisland
Personal Tutor has admitted same complaint has been made before, going to seek out documents from when the module began... Think it's a really old module though, some of the lecture slides for the module are like 'it is expected that by 2007...'

I think staff and even the module coordinator believe that the way the module is set up is sub-par. I think the parliament group used to get longer to submit at the end but that has all changed with students from other courses taking the module and changes in deadlines and other modules etc. But they do seem to be taking me seriously, which is good. I've been told that the guy is retiring as well and the module will no longer run after 2016/17. Not really sure if that will work for or against us

To be honest if it's about to be canned then in my (limited) experience they'll probably just ignore it and move on. I sat a brand new module on my course, everyone failed it, they bumped all our grades a little then decided not to run it anymore. Was pretty crappy.

Your situation is somewhat different though given it's established and doesn't provide equal opportunities, rather than just being hard for everyone. I'd like to think you've a solid case.
Original post by 999tigger
If the sma ecomplaint has been made, then what did they do about it?
If the events were as you described, then my claim would have been in a long time ago. I'd have addressed the issue at the time without waiting for results.

Just make it an official complaint and get on with it.

I am wondering what they could do about it and would be a fair solution. I would think they would let you resubmit the work and be given the amount of time the other received.

We didn't complain at the time because as we only had four days, we thought they wouldn't except much and this would be reflected in the grade. Then we get a poor grade with comments like 'not enough depth'. How deep are we supposed to go in four days in the middle of exam season?? Apparently that's not the case. Really wish we had complained earlier, we all saw issues with the module, just never made anything official really.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed, not what you'd expect from a department with a good reputation at a Russel Group Uni.
We didn't complain at the time because as we only had four days, we thought they wouldn't except much and this would be reflected in the grade. Then we get a poor grade with comments like 'not enough depth'. How deep are we supposed to go in four days in the middle of exam season?? Apparently that's not the case. Really wish we had complained earlier, we all saw issues with the module, just never made anything official really.

Honestly I'm a bit disappointed, not what you'd expect from a department with a good reputation at a Russel Group Uni.

Dont complain on here, Get your statement sorted out and get the procedure under way. You said you had 5 or 6 times as much work and you got 4 days to write your final submission and everyone else got 2 months. If thats true then you have a very strong case and it should be quick for them to resolve.

As I said they should allow you more time to resubmit the work imo. If they dont then take it to the OA. Have you notified the department and collected the forms for the formal complaint?
Dont complain on here, Get your statement sorted out and get the procedure under way. You said you had 5 or 6 times as much work and you got 4 days to write your final submission and everyone else got 2 months. If thats true then you have a very strong case and it should be quick for them to resolve.

As I said they should allow you more time to resubmit the work imo. If they dont then take it to the OA. Have you notified the department and collected the forms for the formal complaint?

We have started the procedure, yes (for clarification, not all the work was in the 4 day time frame, just half, but in that time we still had to write 3000 words, more than others had to in the whole project)
We have started the procedure, yes (for clarification, not all the work was in the 4 day time frame, just half, but in that time we still had to write 3000 words, more than others had to in the whole project)

If its as you stated then I cant see you have a problem.
If its as you stated then I cant see you have a problem.

UPDATE: Uni has agreed that the whole project was unfair, and we had too much work compared to other groups, and to complete in the time period. Turns out that last year, the group had two weeks to complete it, which seems more reasonable, and they admit the change this year was an oversight. Therefore, they are taking our grades from the first part of our submission only (not that half we had 4 days to do) as everyone has gone home and is doing placement, so no time to give us an extension. The part we did in 4 days won't count anymore. This will give us a 64, so really glad we complained.

Group work will be earlier next year, giving the parliament group more time to submit their second piece, equal with other groups.
Ok that seems pretty fair.
A good, reasonable outcome, happy for you guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending