The Student Room Group

2016 WJEC A2-Level Biology, HB4/BY4

WJEC BY4 and HB4 2016

EXAM DATE:

HB4/BY4: Thursday 16th June 2016

So how is everyone's preparation coming along? What are your target grades and what university course are you hoping to apply for?

And are you doing HB4 or BY4? I'm doing HB4 but I must admit there is very little difference between the two courses, no wonder they've scrapped it. The link to the BY5 thread is below!

2016 WJEC A2-Level Biology, BY5
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3982887&p=63762163#post63762163
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiii :biggrin: My time is consumed by BY4, literally hardly any time to even think about BY5 :frown: My target grade for Biology is an A, and I've got an offer to do Medicine at HYMS :smile:
I've been revising so much but when it comes to attempting questions I swear the mark schemes are soo subjective !!!:angry:
Do you do WJEC Chemistry too by any chance??

To be honest BY4 has hardly anything which isn't about humans lol so I can't think of what they would have replaced for HB4.
I'm struggling with the exam technique a lot! Also remembering stuff like selective reabsorption and the entire neurone chapter is awful
Original post by sumeyyatontus
Hiii :biggrin: My time is consumed by BY4, literally hardly any time to even think about BY5 :frown: My target grade for Biology is an A, and I've got an offer to do Medicine at HYMS :smile:
I've been revising so much but when it comes to attempting questions I swear the mark schemes are soo subjective !!!:angry:
Do you do WJEC Chemistry too by any chance??

To be honest BY4 has hardly anything which isn't about humans lol so I can't think of what they would have replaced for HB4.

I'm in the exact same situation. If HB4 is this consuming then how will BY5 be:K: That's amazing! Hopefully you get the grades you are looking for to meet your offer. In terms of mark schemes, WJEC are so bad, one year they'll accept it and one year they won't, it's so hard to adapt to their thinking. Literally HB4 consists of Photosynthesis, Respiration etc. However the difference is, we don't learn plant responses in the nervous system or pest control. Instead we have an entire topic on the muscular system in humans. But the rest is identical

Yeah I'm doing WJEC Chemistry and Maths also, if there isn't a thread up for them soon I'll make one

How were your AS grades if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AngelicAmazing
I'm struggling with the exam technique a lot! Also remembering stuff like selective reabsorption and the entire neurone chapter is awful

Exam technique for Biology only comes with past paper practice imo. You could know the whole syllabus off by heart but if you haven't had any past paper revision, I'd doubt anyone would be capable of a B. Nervous system chapter can be tricky, quite a lot to memorise. The worst part for me is the Na+/K+ pump, but the more you look over it, you realise it isn't as bad as it could be
Hey guys! I thought the content for BY5 was easier than BY4 until i saw the past paper questions for 5... I'm predicted an A* and hoping to study Biology at Uni of Manchester! Praying that fermentation doesn't come up because i suck at that! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adamminaj1998
Hey guys! I thought the content for BY5 was easier than BY4 until i saw the past paper questions for 5... I'm predicted an A* and hoping to study Biology at Uni of Manchester! Praying that fermentation doesn't come up because i suck at that! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! To be honest I find both HB4 and BY5 nightmares. The past papers are anyway.
Hi, getting there with BY4 now, pretty much only have to do as many past papers as I can now! Hopefully will get and A/A* and then be off to Warwick to studying Biochemistry. Good luck!!
Reply 8
Im so stressed for this exam as I have geog 4a on the same day !! French is 2 days before:frown:
Does anyone have any predictions for this exam ?? How long does it take to learn content ? I've just revised respiration so far going to do more tonight
Photoperiodism - 100%
Original post by L1lly
Im so stressed for this exam as I have geog 4a on the same day !! French is 2 days before:frown:
Does anyone have any predictions for this exam ?? How long does it take to learn content ? I've just revised respiration so far going to do more tonight

I'd say Respiration/Photosynthesis is pretty much guaranteed, but to be honest usually every topic comes up so I'd cover as much as you can. Maybe try printing off the amplification of the spec and revising from that if you're short on time?
I'm actually quite worried, not sure about you guys but I think they're mark schemes have been so inconsistent over the past 6 years. Something they'll accept this year they wont accept the next etc. How people get A*s in Biology is beyond me :frown:
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
I'm actually quite worried, not sure about you guys but I think they're mark schemes have been so inconsistent over the past 6 years. Something they'll accept this year they wont accept the next etc. How people get A*s in Biology is beyond me :frown:

I actually agree with this so much which is why I'm only aiming for an A (if I get that) bc the markschemes are very dumb
Original post by Faisalshamallakh

Original post by AngelicAmazing
I actually agree with this so much which is why I'm only aiming for an A (if I get that) bc the markschemes are very dumb

Agreed! The markschemes for biology (especially WJEC) are so annoying. You could literally put a correct answer but because it isn't specified on the markscheme for that year, they won't give you the mark for it! It's ridiculous! :angry:
Hi
Hope everyone's revision is going well
Anyone got any predictions on what the BY4 essays could be?
Hey guys,
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Does anyone know of any areas that havent come up in any past papers for a few years?
I have 1 day to cram everything in and im stressing out
Original post by georgebw5
Hi
Hope everyone's revision is going well
Anyone got any predictions on what the BY4 essays could be?

I think it'll be unlikely that it'll be respiration, since that's what it was last year. I hope it's about synapses though! What about you?
Original post by ForeverAStudent1
Hey guys,
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Does anyone know of any areas that havent come up in any past papers for a few years?
I have 1 day to cram everything in and im stressing out

To be honest, they've been quite consistent with most topics! There are some times when they don't really include bacteria/microorganisms though, but they make up for it with the next few years.
Does anyone know if we're able to resit either of our A2 exams of BY4 or BY5 if we dont do so well?
Considering we are the last year with this specification i think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending