The Student Room Group

EPQ

Hi, I'm about to commence with my A2 year in September and I've decided to take up the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I'd preferably like to do something based around anthropology and the impact of our historical and biological background on modern society and culture. Or I'd like to do something debating the causes for the violent nature of ancient societies in Rome etc. Or maybe how violence was a political tool and debating whether it still is. I'm just bouncing ideas around for now, I'd appreciate any help!
:smile:
Original post by mobydick
Hi, I'm about to commence with my A2 year in September and I've decided to take up the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I'd preferably like to do something based around anthropology and the impact of our historical and biological background on modern society and culture. Or I'd like to do something debating the causes for the violent nature of ancient societies in Rome etc. Or maybe how violence was a political tool and debating whether it still is. I'm just bouncing ideas around for now, I'd appreciate any help!
:smile:

Hiya!

I'm afraid I can't give you any specific ideas (I'm not knowledgeable in any of the topics you mentioned!), but I can try and give general EPQ help if you need it (I got an A in my EPQ) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hiya!

I'm afraid I can't give you any specific ideas (I'm not knowledgeable in any of the topics you mentioned!), but I can try and give general EPQ help if you need it (I got an A in my EPQ) :smile:

Yeah, that'd be great. They haven't really explained the process that well or given us any encouragement, so anything you've got would help.
Original post by mobydick
Yeah, that'd be great. They haven't really explained the process that well or given us any encouragement, so anything you've got would help.

I did my EPQ with AQA (AQA seems to be the most popular EPQ exam board, so here's some advice for AQA as I don't know much about the other boards)

The essay

Assuming you’re doing the long 5000 word essay, you usually lay it out like this:

1. Introduction (bear in mind that the introduction is often easier to write at the end of the project)
Start by introducing your question, for example: “The question I am researching is "(title question here)", then explain the aim of your project, i.e. what you plan to find out. Also mention what sources of information you will use, and how your essay is going to be structured.
2. Main essay
Here you should discuss all of the main points and arguments which will help to answer your question. This should be the bulk of your essay; remember to use paragraphs and reference any quotes you use so that the examiner can refer to them in the bibliography.
3. Conclusion
In the conclusion you should briefly discuss the most significant points/arguments again and come to a conclusion which answers your original title question.
4. Bibliography
The bibliography should include sources for all images and quotes you use in your essay. Keep a note of the date when you found each source as well and add them in square brackets after each source. If I remember correctly, you need at least three different types of sources of information, for example a book, a website and a TV programme you get marks specifically for doing this. I would check with your teacher though!

The presentation

When you have completed your essay, you’ll need to give a short 10-15 minute presentation on your EPQ topic. The presentation should have slides dedicated to the following: why you chose to do an EPQ, why you chose your specific title, sources of information you used, what you found out, your conclusion, any problems you encountered during the project, benefits of doing an EPQ, what you would do differently if you did the project again, and whether you would recommend doing an EPQ to others. There must also be opportunity for the audience to ask questions, either during the presentation or at the end.

The Log Book

As well as the essay, you’ll also need to complete a Log Book (also called a Production Log) - remember to fill it in thoroughly because this is the part which gets you most of the marks. You fill in the Log Book at various stages during your EPQ, at the start, middle and end of the project. Inside the Log Book there is guidance on what to include, but I found it very vague, so basically at each stage you’ll write about 1) what has gone well and what has gone badly, 2) any changes you have made to the project e.g. the title, structure etc, 3) what you plan to do next, and 4) any recommendations from your EPQ mentor/supervisor.

You also need to write about your presentation, but again, the Log Book has instructions on what you need to include. At the end of the Log Book there is also a section titled ‘Reflection’. Don’t be tempted to skimp on this section, as it’s worth A LOT of marks they give you an entire page of answer space for a reason!

I hope that helps :smile:
I did my EPQ with AQA (AQA seems to be the most popular EPQ exam board, so here's some advice for AQA as I don't know much about the other boards)...

Great answer. May I ask, how did you manage to balance doing your EPQ along with your other A2 subjects? Did you have a set period in each week that was solely dedicated for you to work on it, i.e doing research etc.
Original post by Cherry82
Great answer. May I ask, how did you manage to balance doing your EPQ along with your other A2 subjects? Did you have a set period in each week that was solely dedicated for you to work on it, i.e doing research etc.

Thank you!

I actually did most of my EPQ during the summer holidays between year 12 and 13, I started it in June and handed it in in around November. We had a few EPQ lessons in June (to explain what we had to do), and then some more in September (to make sure we'd completed everything). Other than that, it was up to us to make sure we made time to do the research, arrange to meet with our supervisors etc :smile:
Thank you!

I actually did most of my EPQ during the summer holidays between year 12 and 13, I started it in June and handed it in in around November. We had a few EPQ lessons in June (to explain what we had to do), and then some more in September (to make sure we'd completed everything). Other than that, it was up to us to make sure we made time to do the research, arrange to meet with our supervisors etc :smile:

Oh I see. My fear is becoming so engaged that I end up neglecting my other studies. I tend to go off track with things lol But I was told there's the November series and May (Summer) series. Do you by any chance know when the results are released for the November series? Fingers crossed I'm hoping it's before 15th January.
Original post by Cherry82
Oh I see. My fear is becoming so engaged that I end up neglecting my other studies. I tend to go off track with things lol But I was told there's the November series and May (Summer) series. Do you by any chance know when the results are released for the November series? Fingers crossed I'm hoping it's before 15th January.

I'm not exactly sure, however I (unofficially) received my EPQ result in January :smile:
Reply 8
What's everyone's thoughts on a blog for an EPQ?

Quick Reply

Latest