The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 - 17th June, 2016 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aadil10
Think I have a solid knowledge of all the basics but I've got a feeling there will be some really awkwardly worded questions that I won't know what to do. I also need to learn the definitions because I still can't define a 'graph' or a 'tree' xD

I feel the same way. It's so like Edexcel to drop a "lovely" worded question that's worth like 5/6 marks... :battle:
Is anyone excited for this exam? Well i guess more pleased to do this exam than C1,C2,S1,M1 and FP1?
jan 16 question 5d can anyone explain why the answer is (3,-4)
Can someone list all the definitions we need to know please
Original post by pecora
Flow charts and digraphs on Dijkstra/Prim's or something. I'm telling ya, it's gonna come up.

Flow chart question going to be like "what does this algorithm achieve?"
and I'm going to be like :stupido:
Original post by 4nonymous
Can someone list all the definitions we need to know please

This has the specification plus definitions below

*EDIT* or this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=422533&d=1433786506
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aadil10
This has the specification plus definitions below

*EDIT* or this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=422533&d=1433786506

Is this all of them?? i've learnt a set from cram.com that has about 25 definitions in it. :frown:
Good luck everyone
Original post by splashywill
Is this all of them?? i've learnt a set from cram.com that has about 25 definitions in it. :frown:

I'm not too sure, everywhere I look seems to have different definitions and different words we need to know. It's Edexcel official so it should be all. What I'm going to do is spend 1 or 2 hours right before the exam just memorising every D1 related word I can find, just to be on the safe side.
Need help! Cant figure out whether or not to leave a question behind and go ahead :frown: I mean, I spend like 10 minutes at times on those tricky 2/3 mark questions. Is it not worth? I just started doing D1 papers today so im a bit sketchy about the techniques in writing this exam although i did notice that I always lose out on about 15-20 because of time management issues. Theory is alright I suppose :/ Currently at C's... I've got about 12 hours to jump to an A. Possible? Any tips guys?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by aadil10
I'm not too sure, everywhere I look seems to have different definitions and different words we need to know. It's Edexcel official so it should be all. What I'm going to do is spend 1 or 2 hours right before the exam just memorising every D1 related word I can find, just to be on the safe side.

couldn't hurt i suppose... I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge but i get the gist of everything... praying for an easier paper.
Hi guys, for a precedence table, would the source node be activity 0 or 1?Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.studystack.com/flashcard-740736

^^could be useful :smile:
Original post by Geethan
Need help! Cant figure out whether or not to leave a question behind and go ahead :frown: I mean, I spend like 10 minutes at times on those tricky 2/3 mark questions. Is it not worth? I just started doing D1 papers today so im a bit sketchy about the techniques in writing this exam although i did notice that I always lose out on about 15-20 because of time management issues. Theory is alright I suppose :/ Currently at C's... I've got about 12 hours to jump to an A. Possible? Any tips guys?

Thanks in advance :smile:

If you can't answer a question after 2 minutes of reading it just move on and come back to it later. I personally don't find D1 timing very difficult, I can usually answer all questions but the last within an hour, giving me plenty of time to go back over any I might get stuck on. What I'd recommend at this point is just doing as many practice questions as you can in the topics you find tough. The worst thing that can happen is you stumbling upon a question, not remembering how to do it, causing you to lose over 5 marks. So long as you have a basic understanding of each topic you should be fine.
couldn't hurt i suppose... I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge but i get the gist of everything... praying for an easier paper.

Mhm praying for an easy paper but expecting a hard paper. I thought most
of the modules this year were tricky compared to past papers.
Original post by Accountingggo
Hi guys, for a precedence table, would the source node be activity 0 or 1?Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always used 1 but apparently you have to do 0, so I think I'll be using 0.
Original post by aadil10
If you can't answer a question after 2 minutes of reading it just move on and come back to it later. I personally don't find D1 timing very difficult, I can usually answer all questions but the last within an hour, giving me plenty of time to go back over any I might get stuck on. What I'd recommend at this point is just doing as many practice questions as you can in the topics you find tough. The worst thing that can happen is you stumbling upon a question, not remembering how to do it, causing you to lose over 5 marks. So long as you have a basic understanding of each topic you should be fine.

Cheers bro
Original post by Geethan
Cheers bro

Good luck :smile:
Original post by theoriginalrpr
jan 16 question 5d can anyone explain why the answer is (3,-4)

The vertex of the R region that would give the minimum value for P is around there. It's not exactly -4, but remember the question specifies integers, so you round to -4. I think, btw, I'm not a teacher or anything.
Original post by aadil10
I've always used 1 but apparently you have to do 0, so I think I'll be using 0.

Thanks. I'll probably look over mark schemes and see what they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending