The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Exams -6CH04 (14th June) and 6CH05 (22nd June) Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

image.jpg Can someone explain to me why the answer can't be D? I've eliminated A and B. But I was thinking since Conc HCl would shift the equilibrium of the second equation to the right hence making the Ecell of the reaction more positive. Since Ecell, Stotal and K are all proportional I thought D would make sense...
Thank you!
Original post by MacroniCheese
image.jpg Can someone explain to me why the answer can't be D? I've eliminated A and B. But I was thinking since Conc HCl would shift the equilibrium of the second equation to the right hence making the Ecell of the reaction more positive. Since Ecell, Stotal and K are all proportional I thought D would make sense...
Thank you!

Remember unit 4 equilibria that the only way you can alter Kc is by changing the temperature
Original post by Whizbox
Remember unit 4 equilibria that the only way you can alter Kc is by changing the temperature

Oh my god...I'm a complete idiot.. 😅. Thanks haha I think I've basically tried to throw unit 4 out of my head
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay so elaborating on that, When does Ecell affect K? I'm getting really confused, I've got it written down that the more positive the value of Ecell the larger the value of the equilibrium constant. Does that only matter if temperature makes the Ecell more positive? But I know pressure and concentrations can also make Ecell more positive!
Sorry I'm probably overlooking something really simple here :s-smilie:
Original post by Ayman!
There was a dibasic titration curve on ours along with sketching an NMR and designing a rate experiment involving the Arrhenius equation worth a tonne of marks. I have the general ideas on all of those correct but since they haven't be tested before, I have no idea how much I'll lose on each. :tongue: I might lose 1-2 on the titration curve because my volume axis stuff probably wasn't very accurate and 1 on the NMR because of the height of my peaks. Losing a couple of marks here and there, I'm predicting myself a 75 (might be a little generous :tongue:). Wasn't too bad in my opinion, but definitely a little challenging - I enjoyed it though haha

I'll be bothering you with a few U5 questions later on if you don't mind. :tongue: I'm currently doing the 2013 paper.

Did the 2013 paper earlier, was interesting but ngl i was winging it a bit at some points given it was my first unit 5 paper in ages. Was quite surprised how high the ums was tbh
How many Unit 5 past papers do people have left now? Any particularly hard past papers that you've come across that i could try? :smile:
Original post by ayvaak
How many Unit 5 past papers do people have left now?

6, but I only plan on doing 4 as I won't be doing the UK papers.

Original post by ayvaak
Any particularly hard past papers that you've come across that i could try? :smile:

All of them. :cry:

Original post by samb1234
Did the 2013 paper earlier, was interesting but ngl i was winging it a bit at some points given it was my first unit 5 paper in ages. Was quite surprised how high the ums was tbh

Same. I was pretty surprised at the boundaries. I did Jan 2014 recently as well and ended up getting a high B. Thought certain parts were nasty but boundaries suggest otherwise. Haha, Unit 5 will not end well for me. :rofl:
Original post by Ayman!
6, but I only plan on doing 4 as I won't be doing the UK papers.

All of them. :cry:

Same. I was pretty surprised at the boundaries. I did Jan 2014 recently as well and ended up getting a high B. Thought certain parts were nasty but boundaries suggest otherwise. Haha, Unit 5 will not end well for me. :rofl:

Haha yeah the papers are much worse for unit 5. Were there any questions you had from that 2013 one btw?
Haha yeah the papers are much worse for unit 5. Were there any questions you had from that 2013 one btw?

A couple of the MCQs - 6 and 13.
Original post by Ayman!
A couple of the MCQs - 6 and 13.

the june uk one right?
the june uk one right?

Yep, not the R paper. I forgot exactly what these questions were, but I wrote them down on a chit :tongue:
Reply 1431
Okay so elaborating on that, When does Ecell affect K? I'm getting really confused, I've got it written down that the more positive the value of Ecell the larger the value of the equilibrium constant. Does that only matter if temperature makes the Ecell more positive? But I know pressure and concentrations can also make Ecell more positive!
Sorry I'm probably overlooking something really simple here :s-smilie:

Hey temperature is not the only thing that affects E cell
If equilibrium shifts to the left, E cell is lowered
if equilibrium shifts to the right, E cell increases
This is probably what you mean by things like pressure shifting the POSITION of equilibrium

george Facer textbook says "the actual relationship is complex and need not be learnt" so just remember that a positive E cell = positive delta S total = larger K constant.
Reply 1432
15 cm3 of a gaseous hydrocarbon requires 90 cm3 of oxygen for completecombustion, both volumes being measured at 15􀁱C and 1 atm. The formula of thehydrocarbon is

A C4H6
B C4H8
C C4H10
D impossible to calculate without knowing the molar volume of gases underthese conditions.

Guys how do you do this? Please help
Original post by Ayman!
Yep, not the R paper. I forgot exactly what these questions were, but I wrote them down on a chit :tongue:

Idk how chemically correct it is, but my logic for 6 was that the more positively charged the overall complex is the more readily it will undergo deprotonation so it's c. 13 is B, we know from base hydrolysis we are going to get the salt which gives us A,B or d. If it's in alkali it's not going to be the one with NH3+ as that would just protonate an OH, and A doesn't have the groups in the right place
I did the June 2013 (R) unit 5 today...fun tiems :biggrin:
Original post by Don Pedro K.
I did the June 2013 (R) unit 5 today...fun tiems :biggrin:

Same! Though I only finished the MCQ then started section B...the fuel cells question made me lose all my morale 😓 So I stopped :/
Same! Though I only finished the MCQ then started section B...the fuel cells question made me lose all my morale 😓 So I stopped :/

I'm marking section C right now XD Btw, if you wrote a correct answer and something else after that but didn't cross anything out, would you still get marks for the correct bits :s?
I'm marking section C right now XD Btw, if you wrote a correct answer and something else after that but didn't cross anything out, would you still get marks for the correct bits :s?

I think that's where the harshness of the examiners comes in tbh. As long as none of your answer is the reject column I think it should be fine as long as it doesn't contradict
I think that's where the harshness of the examiners comes in tbh. As long as none of your answer is the reject column I think it should be fine as long as it doesn't contradict

Ah okay, awesome! I'll just remember to cross any other stuff out next time.. XD I finished marking it and got 71/90. I guess that's not too bad I was expecting a lot worse whilst doing the paper lol! The mistakes I made were mostly wording stuff incorrectly, so I just need to brush up on my answering technique ahha :s! Let me check the grade boundaries real quick...

Wow!! 111 UMS :biggrin:!!! I was NOT expecting that XD wow I'm actually really happy now haha!
Ah okay, awesome! I'll just remember to cross any other stuff out next time.. XD I finished marking it and got 71/90. I guess that's not too bad I was expecting a lot worse whilst doing the paper lol! The mistakes I made were mostly wording stuff incorrectly, so I just need to brush up on my answering technique ahha :s! Let me check the grade boundaries real quick...

Wow!! 111 UMS :biggrin:!!! I was NOT expecting that XD wow I'm actually really happy now haha!

Good stuff! You should be good to go by next Wednesday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest