The Student Room Group

Anyone sick of fat acceptance and the 'big is beautiful' campaign?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Rugby players can run miles and for hours. General fat people cant run for 10 mins.

Rugby players aren't so much fat as they are muscled, with an average amount of body fat percentage.
Original post by Mactotaur
Rugby players aren't so much fat as they are muscled, with an average amount of body fat percentage.

Thats what I said in the first place!!!! But some have excess fat which they use for spare energy.
Reply 82
Original post by saraxh
The person who made the thread said big is not beautiful and looks lazy. I'm lazy and skinny?

Well you're not obese are you. Jesus Christ.
Thats what I said in the first place!!!! But some have excess fat which they use for spare energy.

That's not quite how it works, but it's close enough.
Reply 84
[QUOTE=Anonymous;65855263]Well 9/10 times body weight is caused by wrong eating. Its not really caused by genetic only in rare cases. As long as you eat healthy foods and excercise you should become thin.
Interested to see the evidence supporting your 9/10 claim. Do you never think it bizarre that despite the known risks, diet industry, medical effort etc this is an unresolved issue. Just think a little bit more deeply if you're truly a student. I get insight from the fact that I can eat all manner of shite to complete excess and my weight remains low and constant yet my partner despite enormous effort battles with weight control. It's not quite so simple as greed and laziness.
Original post by Prussia1
You're probably fat yourself. I play eight hours of sport a week yet still have time to get good GCSE grades. It's a lifestyle choice to be fat and a bad one at that.

You're so ostentatious. What the hell, whatever helps you sleep at night mate.
Rather than having this whole debate, why don't people just stop judging others and f*ck society's standards of what's beautiful. Yeah, maybe being big isn't healthy, yeah sometimes it's a choice but sometimes it isn't, yeah we all have personal opinion, but at the end of the day aslong as someone's happy and living their lives without hurting others, why should it be of concern? If they want to change, let them, help them, but if they don't want to, then they're obviously happy so what's the problem?
Original post by Mactotaur
Rugby players are hardly the prime example of health, going by injuries sustained. Look at the ears!

Well, they tend to live longer than most. Those injuries are obviously due to them doing the sport they do. But I mean, they're lifestyle. They eat a ****ing lot. But the difference is they eat a lot of decent food and they exercise.

One can be fat but also fit. Fat just means lots of body fat. Fit means a strong heart. The problem is most 'fat' people are not fit since they don't do exercise. But some people do lots of running about but eat **** loads so they still get fat - mma fighters at heavier weights/rugby players etc.
Original post by Zarek
Interested to see the evidence supporting your 9/10 claim. Do you never think it bizarre that despite the known risks, diet industry, medical effort etc this is an unresolved issue. Just think a little bit more deeply if you're truly a student. I get insight from the fact that I can eat all manner of shite to complete excess and my weight remains low and constant yet my partner despite enormous effort battles with weight control. It's not quite so simple as greed and laziness.

I know more than you but thanks for your input. People have different body times. A lot of people eat a lot but are still skinny. A lot of people have extra fat in them because of genetics. However it doesnt contribute to a lot of fatness. Some people get fat more easily than others but thats just how some of our bodies are made arent they. You just have to work on that. You can be unhealthy and skinny but thats you probably wont see the effects until you get older but if you are fat you will see the effects (increase in fat) sooner.
They are fat they are muscly. They eat too much for their dose of energy which is controllable and can make them seem fat. However they have it under control which isnt the same as general fat people as rugby players have a purpose for being fat. Moreover they probably dont stay fat for long given their exercise so they probably wont have Heart problems

They stay fat forever. They're always fat. They eat loads so the exercise they do doesn't take it away. It's fine though since they do exercise which strengthens their heart.

I think the effect that actual fat itself causes in 'clogging up arteries' is really overblown. Put frankly, the reason why fat people die so much compared to ordinary people when we ignore sportspeople is because they eat **** food and they don't exercise. It isn't an issue specifically to do with being heavy. It's being unfit and having a poor diet. That's the issue. And they are not one and the same.
Reply 90
[QUOTE=Mactotaur;65855403]Maybe with your enormous intellect you could research the people I listed.

They're completely unknown and not in the least prominent.
Original post by TorpidPhil
They stay fat forever. They're always fat. They eat loads so the exercise they do doesn't take it away. It's fine though since they do exercise which strengthens their heart.

I think the effect that actual fat itself causes in 'clogging up arteries' is really overblown. Put frankly, the reason why fat people die so much compared to ordinary people when we ignore sportspeople is because they eat **** food and they don't exercise. It isn't an issue specifically to do with being heavy. It's being unfit and having a poor diet. That's the issue. And they are not one and the same.

I agree. :smile:
Reply 92
I don't think that advertising containing so called 'body shaming' should be banned. The UK is becoming too censored and politically correct. Anyone including advertisers should be able to express any opinion they wish. If people in general rather than a small overly sensitive group were truly against the advert it would be pulled as it wouldn't produce increased sales of the product being advertised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
What I don't like is that picture of an attractive women promoting a fitness product getting taken down in the tube because the fatties complained.
"The average woman doesn't look like that."
"The average woman is overweight."
Reply 94
Furthermore, the risks of obesity cannot be ignored.

Type 2 Diabetes
Heart Disease and Stroke
High Blood Pressure
Cancers such as bowel and breast
Osteoarthritis
Gout
Gallbladder disease and kidney stones

The perception that 'big is beautiful' for those with a BMI above 30 is not only wrong but downright dangerous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nurne
Furthermore, the risks of obesity cannot be ignored.

Type 2 Diabetes
Heart Disease and Stroke
High Blood Pressure
Cancers such as bowel and breast
Osteoarthritis
Gout
Gallbladder disease and kidney stones

The perception that 'big is beautiful' for those with a BMI above 30 is not only wrong but downright dangerous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well almost all of us are 'unhealthy'. Even if we are physically fit our bodies these days are rekt by the foods we eat. Even a lot of vegans are unhealthy because they dont eat the right stuff. But at least with fatties they know whats wrong with them but with most of us we dont see the internal damage we are doing to ourself and that should be advertised more.
Reply 96
Original post by CourtneyxWood
Rather than having this whole debate, why don't people just stop judging others and f*ck society's standards of what's beautiful. Yeah, maybe being big isn't healthy, yeah sometimes it's a choice but sometimes it isn't, yeah we all have personal opinion, but at the end of the day aslong as someone's happy and living their lives without hurting others, why should it be of concern? If they want to change, let them, help them, but if they don't want to, then they're obviously happy so what's the problem?

Because it doesn't seem to compute with you that this extremely unhealthy lifestyle costs tax payers millions every year and clogs up thousands of hospital beds. Therefore it's as much my business if someone is fat or not as it theirs because my own health could be compromised with a fat person having a heart attack and using the last hospital bed. These health problems are avoidable and being slim can actually save lives.
people need to stop acting like they actually care for obese people's health lmao
Original post by bubblegumcat
people need to stop acting like they actually care for obese people's health lmao

Acting?

I actively do.
Original post by Results
Acting?

I actively do.

well there's a better way in helping them than putting them down for their weight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending