The Student Room Group

TIP: The cheapest way to send money to yourself when abroad (bar none)

Hi, I just came back from a year abroad in Melbourne (which I couldn't recommend more if any of you are thinking of going there).

Studying abroad is expensive... it just is. I ended up sending myself over £10k and if I did this through a bank I'd be about £1000 worse off today. Transferwise does money transfers using a peer to peer system which means there is no middle man such as a bank taking excessive fees. Banks often hide those fees by saying its free and taking their cut by giving you terrible rates.

All I suggest is before you start sending money, take a look at what you get with transferwise and compare it to whatever your alternative was, I guarantee you it will be better. And yes I'm using my referral link which means that I get something out of this but it honestly pains me to see how many people are wasting money because they didn't know their bank was ripping them off. Also by using this link you get your first transfer free sooo... everybody wins.

https://transferwise.com/u/5e3637

Hope this helped and have a fantastic study abroad!!!
<p>Thanks for the tip.
Original post by electrikalex
Hi, I just came back from a year abroad in Melbourne (which I couldn't recommend more if any of you are thinking of going there).

Studying abroad is expensive... it just is. I ended up sending myself over £10k and if I did this through a bank I'd be about £1000 worse off today. Transferwise does money transfers using a peer to peer system which means there is no middle man such as a bank taking excessive fees. Banks often hide those fees by saying its free and taking their cut by giving you terrible rates.

All I suggest is before you start sending money, take a look at what you get and compare it to whatever your alternative was, I guarantee you it will be better. It honestly pains me to see how many people are wasting money because they didn't know their bank was ripping them off.

Hope this helped and have a fantastic study abroad!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending