The Student Room Group

What to expect at your first house party?

One of my friends is throwing a house party tomorrow night to celebrate the end of all our exams, I'm really excited but I've never been to a house party before. What should I expect? Also what do I wear? The host said to wear whatever we want but I don't want to then turn up in jeans if everyone else is in dresses and vice versa! Also would you recommend taking anything, like a handbag? Or is that just more hassle than it's worth incase it gets lost? I literally have no idea here 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe ask your friends what they'll be wearing?
Hello, well i have found that it depends entirely on the hosts/guests when it comes to what to expect, and also sometimes the clothing varies, i always turn up in smart casual, but that's because i'm sad. Maybe ask someone else heading to the same party what they're going to wear in order to figure out what is good/acceptable.

When it comes to taking things with you i would 100% recommend you have a mobile (but everyone does these days) just in case you need to make any calls or if anything gets out of hand.

In terms of extra luggage, depends on the guests. If they're a trusty bunch and a hand bag will make you feel more at ease then go ahead. But if it's a lot of people in a small space then it might be worth leaving it at home.

Best regards and have fun, but also stay safe! :smile:
Francis
Reply 3
maxresdefault.jpg
I would bring a small bag and wear a dressy top with leggings
Honestly no one can really tell you what to expect because they're always different. At my 18th birthday house party someone decided to break my fence :')
Just go with the flow and it will be fun, and as Francis said above - stay safe.
Last new years i got so drunk i passed out and smacked my head on the toilet - I'm very lucky someone found me that i knew. I remeber turning up to the party and the next morning waking up in my bed. I don't know how i got home. I don't know what might have happened. I haven't drunk since because now when I look at alcohol i feel sick, embarassed and stupid. Its strange how one bad experience can change you. If you get really tipsy - stop drinking. You will stay tipsy. If you keep drinking past that you enter the zone of sick and potentially passing out. Nobody wants to be stuck with the sick person. Sorry if i sound like a parent or something, i just remember how scary it was. Don't be that person. Be the person laughing at the stupid over drinkers falling everywhere :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by mellowjoker
One of my friends is throwing a house party tomorrow night to celebrate the end of all our exams, I'm really excited but I've never been to a house party before. What should I expect? Also what do I wear? The host said to wear whatever we want but I don't want to then turn up in jeans if everyone else is in dresses and vice versa! Also would you recommend taking anything, like a handbag? Or is that just more hassle than it's worth incase it gets lost? I literally have no idea here 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
A houseparty is just an informal gathering, and what happens is dependant completely on the people there, and whose house it is. I've been to them before when it's been my best friend and me sat up at 3AM with cups of tea and spliffs, and I've been to others where it's been cider and weird Japanese films and building large fires with a friend's boyfriend. Hell on one occasion I ended up talking to one of my other friends' mothers about how hard it is to find kosher matzah where I live.

So don't dress up. Take what you'd take if you were going to visit, unless you've been told it's a BYOB job. Other than that, just relax and have fun :p:
Reply 6
if its anything like the ones iv been to then lots of drugs, lots of drink, people still turning up at 6am, oh and the hangover the day after haha
Alcohol?
I'd expect a human sacrifice or two, maybe
Reply 9
Thank you for all the replies to this! Reading everyone's responses has been so helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest