The Student Room Group

Calling all africans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BChemGee
Why would you admit your post is ignorant...and then go on to say another ignorant thing...?

I didn't say my post was ignorant. I said generalising is ignorant. I however never generalised.
Original post by loveleest
It is rude because it's making ridiculous stereotypes. You are basically saying all African girls look like Akon- How is that not rude? So if someone tells me I don't look African they are trying to say it's because I am not really dark, really wide nose etc..? sorry, that's really stupid. You get Africans of all skin tones and hair types IN Africa aswell.

I am basically not saying anything. I literally said mostly they look like Akon. And they do.
And yes I emphasised IN Africa. I said those people are not OF African descent though being IN Africa. Obviously. NATIVE Africans who are from the indigenous tribes...look like Akon. I say Akon @teenhorrorstory because he has all the classic African features. If you want me to go into description of these features instead of using human examples of a typical African, it'll be accused of being racist.
Original post by 0to100
I am basically not saying anything. I literally said mostly they look like Akon. And they do.
And yes I emphasised IN Africa. I said those people are not OF African descent though being IN Africa. Obviously. NATIVE Africans who are from the indigenous tribes...look like Akon. I say Akon @teenhorrorstory because he has all the classic African features. If you want me to go into description of these features instead of using human examples of a typical African, it'll be accused of being racist.

So are you saying Iman is not a african looking because she does not look similar to akon? What about somalis and est africans are they not NATIVE AFRICANS? Please, elaborate :holmes:
Original post by Anonymous
So are you saying Iman is not a african looking because she does not look similar to akon? What about somalis and est africans are they not NATIVE AFRICANS? Please, elaborate :holmes:

Why are you Anonymous?
Reply 65
Original post by 0to100

Look at East Africans and North Africans. You can't really say they look all the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

Ok you've gone mute, well anyway to answer your stupid question never said Somalis aren't "NATIVE AFRICANS." I rationalised the thinking of those people who think SOME non-Arab, non Asian, non EU African immigrants in Africa don't LOOK like the typical native black African. And why is this such a big issue? >_> Does Iman look like Akon (since some people foolishly have an issue with that then let me specify: does Iman have coiled hair, big facial features, very dark skin?) Seems like people who want to argue this do so to bring limelight to the possibility that Somalians aren't "black." I certainly think they ARE black but yes many don't look like the universal idea of Africans.
Original post by Nurne
Look at East Africans and North Africans. You can't really say they look all the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...Exactly...my point. I said to loveleest that black Africans in certain regions who, granted, are black don't look like that Akon type which is the reasonable universal perception of black people. But I will never ever say they're not black lmao. I just said they look different to other types OF black. This region obviously is North and East Africa, and yes they look different...to West and "Sub Saharan" Africans. It's just true like...lol
Original post by dmy15
What are some of the worst things about being african?

If I am not black I am not African.
Then they tell me, in a very condescending manner, that I am a son of immigrants.
Like excuse me, but all white people outside europe are immigrants (or descendants of them).
I hold the citizenship of an African nation, I speak the local languages, so how am I not African?!

Oh, and in a close second place comes the fact that because I am African, who lived in Australia for a period of time, the first thing everybody assumed about me was that I was a refugee!

Lastly, the fact that the western world looks down upon us for being poor. Sure, we have our issues, corruption and insecurity being the major ones, but they ought to never forget that their entire civilisation was built off the back of African (and Asian) labour and resources. And by looking down upon, I mean the unwanted sympathy they give us, e.g. a common college application essay for US students is how they want to help poor people in Africa and ******** of that sort. Or the fact that they have the 'for just 5 cents a day....' ads, that indirectly hint at African life being so cheap.

Wow I'm worked up.
Rant over
Original post by Nurne

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I'm beginning to wonder which North Africans you're on about? I'm not on about the Arab/Indian/Latin mixed ones. There are black people up there, and they're treated like tripe for being dark. And they actually don't look too different to East Africans who may or may not be mixed, but many still look different to the Akon type of black person. I know Africa is a mixed place. I'm not talking about all the immigrants who will obviously create a mixed place. I'm talking just about the black Africans, I keep saying "native black Africans." They mostly look like Akon despite not looking like the Iman types who also are black.
Now people wanna go mute. You ask questions all aggressively then do a runner when I respond all because someone who disagrees with me repped you? Tossers. :nah: Like does Iman look like Akon? No. Is Iman still black? Yes. That's all I'm saying, poxy thread.
"Run away" what you said was really ignorant and I can't be bothered to waste my time on a debate with you

Oh so you can respond to this but not the other post though? Looks like you've just got nothing useful left to say. Nothing I said was ignorant, Iman and Akon don't look alike! What is wrong with you seriously? Do they look alike? No. What is ignorant about that? You say I am making generalisations but you actually are, assuming I'm ignorant about black people just because I'm white! Hypocritical. You're using the other people on the thread having a tiny go at me, as a copout to quit the discussion. You're just not clever enough to debate without running off so pretend to take the high road?
Original post by 0to100
Oh so you can respond to this but not the other post though? Looks like you've just got nothing useful left to say. Nothing I said was ignorant, Iman and Akon don't look alike! What is wrong with you seriously? Do they look alike? No. What is ignorant about that? You say I am making generalisations but you actually are, assuming I'm ignorant about black people just because I'm white! Hypocritical. You're using the other people on the thread having a tiny go at me, as a copout to quit the discussion. You're just not clever enough to debate without running off so pretend to take the high road?

LOL aww think that if you want. Having a go at you? Just grow up, seriously. I didn't care about what you said until you bought it up again. Yes Iman and Akon look nothing a like. But you are saying black african girls mostly look like Akon. Seriously- How can you not think that's rude? You are saying black african girls look like men basically. You could have at least given a better comparison. Secondly, I doubt you have even been to Africa, you get all types of different looks and yes you would get your "Akon" and "Iman" everywhere in Africa.
Yes Iman and Akon look nothing a like. But you are saying black african girls mostly look like Akon. Seriously- How can you not think that's rude? You are saying black african girls look like men basically. You could have at least given a better comparison. Secondly, I doubt you have even been to Africa, you get all types of different looks and yes you would get your "Akon" and "Iman" everywhere in Africa.

Ok great back to the discussion then, excellent.

Anyway ok so we agree, Iman and AKon look nothing alike. Because that's obvious so no idea why we've been arguing that. That's out the way, lovely.

Ok so the 1st time you quoted me you said I said "all" black people look like Akon, and now you've fixed it, wonderful. We're getting somewhere. Yet you still feel the need to argue and throw insults that I'm rude and ignorant when you modifying what you said indicates you knew you were well off, logically. Great. Moving on.

Look like men basically, are you mad?!

So that's what this is about. I am discussing their ethnic features...looking like Akons...you responded the way you did because of your own insecurities and a chip on your own shoulder? @teenhorrorstory did you think I was saying black girls look like men when I said Akon, even AFTER I specified it's about their ethnic features being alike?
Lmao, ridiculous direction this conversastion has gone in. Probably why loveleest truly blanked my 2nd response to her. And now I see you two and whoever repped you ARE going off on me simply because I'm white and are assuming that I think what you two actually think lol which is that I think black girls look like men hence mentioning Akon?

ANYWAY like I said most black people have Akon's features. Not all Only in certain regions do black people look like Iman, and that could be down to mixing. This however doesn't mean I think they're not black. And it obviously means I know black people are diverse. However MOST native black Africans STILL in Africa look like Akon, ethnically...not gender wise :rolleyes:. If you fight me about that, that's actually YOU getting mad that it's true. Which is SAD.
Reply 74
-Being told that I am "not black enough" by other Africans, just because I don't listen to rap music or afrobeat much
- Being made fun of because I am slightly dark
- People not believing me that Portuguese is my first language
Original post by kkboyk
-Being told that I am "not black enough" by other Africans, just because I don't listen to rap music or afrobeat much
- Being made fun of because I am slightly dark
- People not believing me that Portuguese is my first language

It can be in Angola or summat
Original post by 0to100
Ok great back to the discussion then, excellent.

Anyway ok so we agree, Iman and AKon look nothing alike. Because that's obvious so no idea why we've been arguing that. That's out the way, lovely.

Ok so the 1st time you quoted me you said I said "all" black people look like Akon, and now you've fixed it, wonderful. We're getting somewhere. Yet you still feel the need to argue and throw insults that I'm rude and ignorant when you modifying what you said indicates you knew you were well off, logically. Great. Moving on.

Look like men basically, are you mad?!

So that's what this is about. I am discussing their ethnic features...looking like Akons...you responded the way you did because of your own insecurities and a chip on your own shoulder? @teenhorrorstory did you think I was saying black girls look like men when I said Akon, even AFTER I specified it's about their ethnic features being alike?
Lmao, ridiculous direction this conversastion has gone in. Probably why loveleest truly blanked my 2nd response to her. And now I see you two and whoever repped you ARE going off on me simply because I'm white and are assuming that I think what you two actually think lol which is that I think black girls look like men hence mentioning Akon?

ANYWAY like I said most black people have Akon's features. Not all Only in certain regions do black people look like Iman, and that could be down to mixing. This however doesn't mean I think they're not black. And it obviously means I know black people are diverse. However MOST native black Africans STILL in Africa look like Akon, ethnically...not gender wise :rolleyes:. If you fight me about that, that's actually YOU getting mad that it's true. Which is SAD.

My own insecurities? You have got to be kidding me. You are the one responding in such a hostile way. Why are you going on about someone who repped me lmao? Are you hurt that people agree with me and disagree with you? I personally think it's ignorant af to say that Black african girls look like akon. To me, that's like saying East Asian girls look like Bruce lee, see how ridiculous it sounds?
Original post by alexschmalex
"Do you have electricity in Africa?"
"Wow, how come you speak such good English? I thought you all speak African at home!"
"What was it like living in a house for the first time when you came here?"
"Did it take you long to get used to cooked food?"
"So can you hunt?"
"Are you friends with wild jungle animals?"
"Are you sure you don't mean Canada? I've never heard of Cameroon!"
"If you're African, how can you afford all these nice things?"
"Is your family poor?"
"Did you experience a lot of oppression there?"
"Oh you have a normal name for an African. Is it pronounced differently? Are you sure??" (Seriously this vexes me, how else is Alex pronounced pls?)

The worst part is that I didn't even have to make these up, each of these things has all been said to me on at least 2 occasions if not more. And I've never even lived outside of Europe smh

Wow, no one has ever asked me any of these questions.
Original post by alkaline.
Does it count if I'm Jamaican*joins thread anyway*

Worst thing is probably the skin colour difference on the back of my hand vs my palm. It's the contrast. For example I'll wake up in the morning and rub my eyes gently with the back of my hand and All's good, suddenly I turn my hands over to grab my phone and I'm struck by bright white reflective light emitting from my white as hell palm. This is near blinding especially at times of the morning. This is probably the biggest problem, I always forget that my palm is white but I am black.

This post is hilarious :laugh:
My own insecurities? You have got to be kidding me. You are the one responding in such a hostile way. Why are you going on about someone who repped me lmao? Are you hurt that people agree with me and disagree with you? I personally think it's ignorant af to say that Black african girls look like akon. To me, that's like saying East Asian girls look like Bruce lee, see how ridiculous it sounds?

You called me rude and ignorant, if I want to defend myself in a hostile way so be it, even though I;m not feeling hostile at all. I just find all this very interesting tbh.

Anyway ok most of your post is sassy deflection and pointless so...

Anyway I don't care about your opinion lmao it's about facts, love, and facts say that many black African girls share the same features of Akon. The way you're posting "look like Akon" and using buzzwords to make me look the bad guy like say I'm stereotyping that, it's just low and kinda desperate. Well anyway, you're still going on pathetically and stubbornly about "girls looking like boys."

AGAIN for the millionth time I said most black people share Akon's FEATURES. I didn't ever say black girls look like black men! If I thought that I'd say it. So stop trying to make it seem like I said that, intentionally misconstruing my posts and putting words in my posts to make yourself look right when you look SO wrong. How about you run off and don't respond again if you're going to put words in my mouth because you know you're wrong but still insist on arguing with me for whatever reason.

For the last time, Iman and Akon don't look alike though they're both black. You admitted that. Despite that fact that we both agree on, most black people not just the WOMEN look like Akon! I never even specified black women look like Akon. I have been saying black people. :rolleyes: Go revise or summat you get me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest