6:
7:
8:
9:
10: Solution by Zacken
11:
12:
13:

Do you have the paper to upload for the rest of us?
STEP I, Question 3

graphs 001.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by Exp!
Do you have the paper to upload for the rest of us?

@Insight314 will be uploading a scanned copy in an hour or so, all I've got are pictures.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
@Insight314 will be uploading a scanned copy in an hour or so, all I've got are pictures.

Pictures are good enough for now :smile: please upload them
Reply 7
Original post by Exp!
Pictures are good enough for now :smile: please upload them

It's literally an hour's wait. :tongue:
Reply 8
I'll put up my Q4 again, words hard to read but algebra should be clear (note slight issue with whether the circles ought to be arcs or full due to sign and stuff, probably a matter of a couple of marks)

edit: Note there is mistake on the line under "letting y = f(x)..", I do not include all of the RHS, but this is remedied straight after

0.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Just attaching it in big size for you:

Cheers, not that great with online stuff. I thought the question was really good too, reread it like 3 times to try and work out if there was some catch I wasn't getting.
Q8 STEP I 2016.jpgq8.
Reply 11
Original post by student0042

Just going to attach this in a bigger size above. Thanks for the solution.
Reply 12
STEP I 2015 Q12

(i) Alice tosses a fair coin two times and Bob tosses a fair coin three times. Find the probability that Bob obtains more heads than Alice.

(ii) Alice tosses a fair coin three times and Bob tosses a fair coin four times. Find the probability that Bob obtains more heads than Alice.

(iii) Alice and Bob both throw a fair coin n times. The probability that they obtain an equal number of heads is p1, and the probability that Bob obtains more heads is p2. If Bob now throws the coin n+1 times, find the probability (in terms of p1 and p2) that Bob throws more heads than Alice. Hence generalise your results to parts (i) and (ii).

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Ecasx
STEP I 2015 Q12

(i) Alice tosses a fair coin two times and Bob tosses a fair coin three times. Find the probability that Bob obtains more heads than Alice.

(ii) Alice tosses a fair coin three times and Bob tosses a fair coin four times. Find the probability that Bob obtains more heads than Alice.

(iii) Alice and Bob both throw a fair coin n times. The probability that they obtain an equal number of heads is p1, and the probability that Bob obtains more heads is p2. If Bob now throws the coin n+1 times, find the probability (in terms of p1 and p2) that Bob throws more heads than Alice. Hence generalise your results to parts (i) and (ii).

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Questions like this illustrate why people should check out that statistics section more often. :redface:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Questions like this illustrate why people should check out that statistics section more often. :redface:

I really hope there are nice stats questions on II and III. Knowing my luck though there'll be one on some awful normal distribution thing, and one geometry one.
Reply 15
Original post by sweeneyrod
I really hope there are nice stats questions on II and III. Knowing my luck though there'll be one on some awful normal distribution thing, and one geometry one.

Pray for p.d.fs :tongue:
Q1. I feel like there was another part as it seems a bit small, but then again I only proved it for n=1 and said, do the same thing.
Q1 STEP I 2016.jpg I'll let you blow it up again. :tongue:
Pray for p.d.fs :tongue:

May Siklos give us lots of nice questions on number theory and differential equations amen
Original post by sweeneyrod
May Siklos give us lots of nice questions on number theory and differential equations amen

Another prime number question would be noice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

This was actually a difficult question. My solution is very briefly written here. Parts 1 and 2 were easy, but part 3 was difficult to notice, because the 'trick' is quite clever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest