The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

IELTS score and chances of getting accepted at Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Emilija
Yes :smile: I got conditional offer, and one of the conditions is to pass an english exam.

So confirming what was said earlier in the thread :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Original post by ohlookdonuts
Hey guys,
Hopefully this wasn't asked before so I would like to know:
I am a student from the EU and I want to apply for the MPhil Advanced Computer Science program at Cambridge. Problem is that I really messed up my IELTS test: I got a 6.5 on writing. Which really sucks considering I got 9 (max) in reading, 9 in listening, and 7.5 in speaking, with an overall grade of 8. At the time when I took the test, I thought it was a really good score, however I saw on the Cambridge website that they require all scores to be >= 7.0. Which I exceed by far at everything except writing.
Problem is deadline is 31 march and I have no time left (and quite frankly no interest) in taking the test for a third time, as I do not think that I could score better on the essays (I took the test two times and got the same score on writing). My background is computer science and math and I am just not that good at writing essays in any language. It takes me forever to write even a half page on any topic not related to math/cs, even in my native language. I think that to some people writing just does not come easily. Am I completely screwed or do I still have a chance in my application getting considered? The master's at Cambridge best matches by far my research interests and have some graduate courses of huge interest to me. I'm a little stressed out by this ...

It really depends on how lenient Cambridge is towards applicants not ''fully'' meeting their entry requirements. :smile: I know for a fact that some universities are extremely harsh and won't accept you if you missed their English language requirement by 0.5 (true story)! Entry requirements are entry requirements, buddy (otherwise, everyone would be accepted!!). :tongue: To reassure you, in most cases the university do accept the candidate if that latter demonstrates great abilities and/or has a strong academic record (I don't know how it works for postgraduate programmes though) - which you seem to demonstrate. :smile: If they do make you an offer, be prepared to retake the IELTS though. I did exactly the same as you and decided to sit the IELTS before applying to university. Thankfully, I got 7.5 overall with 7 as my lowest band score, which was good enough for any undergraduate courses. The IELTS test is extremely expensive (in my country) so I would have felt bad for my parents (and siblings) if ever I had to retake it, lol. ^^
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Emilija
Hi there,
I am not planning on taking the IELTS, but I wanted to share my story with you... I got a conditional offer from Cambridge, without fulfilling the language requirement (although I have passed CAE at grade B, but they ask for an A), so you don't have to have passed an english exam in order to get an offer. Anyway I am taking TOEFL tomorrow so wish me luck (I've been told that TOEFL is easier than the Cambridge ESOL exams and according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, my CAE grade B equalls TOEFL 110-120, thus I am still confused why they do not recognize CAE passed at grade B, but they do recognize 100 on TOEFL)...

Good question. I even had the CPE with an A and still had to take IELTS because I took the CPE 2,5 years before my application (rather than 2 years before, which was the acceptable limit)
Reply 23
Original post by *Corinna*
Good question. I even had the CPE with an A and still had to take IELTS because I took the CPE 2,5 years before my application (rather than 2 years before, which was the acceptable limit)

WOW! Congratulations! That is a serious success... What is more frustrating is that Cambridge ESOL claims that their exams last for life (FCE,CAE,CPE), I suppose that is a marketing trick, they do last for life, but every uni and company will ask for an exam certificate that was taken no longer than 2 years ago... I think that CPE should be recognized for at least 5 years...
Original post by Emilija
WOW! Congratulations! That is a serious success... What is more frustrating is that Cambridge ESOL claims that their exams last for life (FCE,CAE,CPE), I suppose that is a marketing trick, they do last for life, but every uni and company will ask for an exam certificate that was taken no longer than 2 years ago... I think that CPE should be recognized for at least 5 years...

Haha thanks! I do think that the CPE is much more difficult (and more indicative of knowledge of English) than the IELTS and it does piss me off that it was not recognised, esp. since as you say we are never told this when we take it. If I knew I would have waited half a year before I took it!
Reply 25
Hi,

could you please tell me what exactly this seasonal program is.
Also, did you send an email or did you just upload the ielts test report in the self service page?

Original post by virtsou
i failed too in ielts writing section (i had quite similar markets with you) and they just asked me to attend EAP in seasonal program (its absolutely nothing! really!). Nothing more. No one really cares in my department about your language conditions! so if you are OK academically you will be fine!
Reply 26
Original post by Kalchas
Hi,

could you please tell me what exactly this seasonal program is.
Also, did you send an email or did you just upload the ielts test report in the self service page?

It's probably this course s/he was referring to http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/in-sessional.html
the name of the programme has been changed from EAP (English for Academic Purposes) to ADTIS (Academic Development and Training for International Students). I would upload the results on camsis. Which application stage are you at atm?
Reply 27
Original post by tj23
It's probably this course s/he was referring to http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adtis/in-sessional.html
the name of the programme has been changed from EAP (English for Academic Purposes) to ADTIS (Academic Development and Training for International Students). I would upload the results on camsis. Which application stage are you at atm?

I 've got a conditional offer.
Do you know if it is possible that they will accept my ielts score (I have 6.5 in speaking with an overall 8) without obliging me to attend ADTIS?
Reply 28
Original post by Kalchas
I 've got a conditional offer.
Do you know if it is possible that they will accept my ielts score (I have 6.5 in speaking with an overall 8) without obliging me to attend ADTIS?

You either have to meet the full IELTS requirement or attend the session. There were people on my course who did IELTS three times to meet the condition... What is the language condition on your offer currently? Do you have this option or have they just specified IELTS?
Reply 29
Hello All!

While applying to Cambridge I passed IELTS and also got 6.5 in writing. In my conditional offer I had a choice ( taking IELTS again or contacting Cambridge Language Centre). I did an assessment prepared by the Language Centre and on this basis my English condition was met.
Reply 30
Original post by sj27
You either have to meet the full IELTS requirement or attend the session. There were people on my course who did IELTS three times to meet the condition... What is the language condition on your offer currently? Do you have this option or have they just specified IELTS?

The language condition is an overall 7 with at least 6.5 in reading and 7 in the other parts. I haven't uploaded the IELTS Test Report yet, so I don't know if I'll have this option.
Reply 31
Original post by Lena17
Hello All!

While applying to Cambridge I passed IELTS and also got 6.5 in writing. In my conditional offer I had a choice ( taking IELTS again or contacting Cambridge Language Centre). I did an assessment prepared by the Language Centre and on this basis my English condition was met.

Hi!
Could you please describe this assessment?
Did it concern all parts of the IELTS test, or was just for writing?
Also, did you find it harder compared to IELTS?
Every other information is much appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Kalchas
Hi!
Could you please describe this assessment?
Did it concern all parts of the IELTS test, or was just for writing?
Also, did you find it harder compared to IELTS?
Every other information is much appreciated.

Hi!

Yes, it consisted of all parts, speaking part is optional so the language centre should contact you when it would be needed.

It is totally different in comparison to IELTS. There was a piece of lecture on Cambridge history as a part of listening which needed to be summarised. Then reading about critical thinking which also needed to be summed up. As writing part I had to describe my English abilities and write why I chose my course. If you would have any other questions, you can PM me ;-) Sorry for such a mess but Im using my phone in hurry :-D
Hi guys,
I've been made a conditional offer for a MPhil at Cambridge in Machine Learning, Speech and Language Technology.
I am from Italy, so I have the language condition of at least 7.0 in each IELTS part, except for the reading minimum which is at 6.5

Now, I did IELTS the first time on March, and I took 6.0 at writing
They told me that I had to retake the test because it was too low.

I did it again on the 25th of May, and I was really unlucky. I have 8.5 in listening, 8 in reading, 6.5 in writing and 8 in speaking. Will they refer me to the language centre? I am afraid that this won't be sufficient again and I'll have to retake the IELTS for the third time.

What do you think?
Hi all, I am also in the similar situation. Had an offer from JBS and my condition is 7.0 in all parts and 7.5 for overall.

I have taken IELTS for multiple times already.
1st time: L 8.0, R 8.0, W 6.5, S 7.0 = overall 7.5
2nd time: L 8.5, R 8.5, W 7.0, S 6.0 = overall 7.5 (This time I kinda had anxiety attack during speaking test so I ****ed up apparently)
3rd time: L 8.5, R 9.0, W 6.5, S 7.0 = overall 8.0

I'm so frustrated that my scores keep fluctuated...argh and it consumed so much time and money to take each one :frown:
Anyone experienced similar situation? Do they accept score from multiple sittings?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by miremind
Do they accept score from multiple sittings?

First I replied with a "no" because when I was taking IELTS I looked around quite a bit and literally every single time I came across a similar question the answer was "no, you can't combine". BUT! I just googled the combining issue specifically and on http://www.ram.ac.uk/study/how-to-apply/entry-requirement/english-language-requirements (for UK visa though) its says "UKVI will accept scores gained on different test dates, so you can combine results if the scores are not more than two years old and you do not need to pass all the individual elements on the same test date." meaning that in some instances the combining is indeed possible. The best thing to do is to contact someone from the admission team probably.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mliz
First I replied with a "no" because when I was taking IELTS I looked around quite a bit and literally every single time I came across a similar question the answer was "no, you can't combine". BUT! I just googled the combining issue specifically and on http://www.ram.ac.uk/study/how-to-apply/entry-requirement/english-language-requirements (for UK visa though) its says "UKVI will accept scores gained on different test dates, so you can combine results if the scores are not more than two years old and you do not need to pass all the individual elements on the same test date." meaning that in some instances the combining is indeed possible. The best thing to do is to contact someone from the admission team probably.

Hearing this gave me a bit of assurance! Thanks :smile:
I did email my scores to the board of admission today so it would be at least Tuesday to hear any reply. Wish it will work out gradually as the thought of sitting through another IELTS test is so suffering and expensive :frown: should spend the money for the tuition fee instead really.
Original post by Lena17
Hi!Yes, it consisted of all parts, speaking part is optional so the language centre should contact you when it would be needed.It is totally different in comparison to IELTS. There was a piece of lecture on Cambridge history as a part of listening which needed to be summarised. Then reading about critical thinking which also needed to be summed up. As writing part I had to describe my English abilities and write why I chose my course. If you would have any other questions, you can PM me ;-) Sorry for such a mess but Im using my phone in hurry :-D

Hello. My IELTS score is not sufficient and am asked to contact the language center for the assessment. Can you tell me more about how it was? How long did it take? Was it more difficult than the IELTS? What sort of preparation is helpful for this. Congratulations for your acceptance. I am hoping I can get it soon! Appreciate your reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mormontre
Hi guys,
I've been made a conditional offer for a MPhil at Cambridge in Machine Learning, Speech and Language Technology.
I am from Italy, so I have the language condition of at least 7.0 in each IELTS part, except for the reading minimum which is at 6.5

Now, I did IELTS the first time on March, and I took 6.0 at writing
They told me that I had to retake the test because it was too low.

I did it again on the 25th of May, and I was really unlucky. I have 8.5 in listening, 8 in reading, 6.5 in writing and 8 in speaking. Will they refer me to the language centre? I am afraid that this won't be sufficient again and I'll have to retake the IELTS for the third time.

What do you think?

Hi, I also have 6.5 for writing. What happened to you? Have you been referred to the Language Centre?
Reply 39
Original post by Chris13579
Hi, I also have 6.5 for writing. What happened to you? Have you been referred to the Language Centre?

Don't worry too much. I had 6.5 in writing and 6.0 in speaking and was still fine after the language centre assessment.

For me this assessment was easier than IELTS because it was closer to what I actually do in my studies. You don't have a time limit but should aim to take no longer than three hours (for the reading/listening/writing bit). You can replay the recorded lecture as many times as you want and can read the text as many times as you want as well. I don't think there is really much you need to prepare for. Especially the writing bit was easier for me since you have to describe your motivation for your chosen course etc rather than discussing a random statement as in IELTS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending