The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tridianprime
I didn't get that - it seems more people get in with 1,2 than with 2,1. I know quite a few people do better in 3 than 2 but then why are the boundaries higher in 2? Am I missing something.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/step_results_of_offer_holders

I think the last year is anomalous, usually more people seem to get in with 2, 1.
Reply 1601
Original post by gasfxekl
What? i know how to do it, you just didnt answer my Q

I didn't know whether or not you knew :tongue:
When I said same as previous part I meant it's probably worth the same number of marks as part ii.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think the last year is anomalous, usually more people seem to get in with 2, 1.

Yep, you seem to be right. I read the data very badly.
Original post by Hauss
I didn't know whether or not you knew :tongue:
When I said same as previous part I meant it's probably worth the same number of marks as part ii.

ah thought you were talking about the technique, my bad
How do you find Q12? I couldn't do the last part.
Original post by krishdesai7
It was quite an odd paper for me. I'm generally a Pure person, so i was most surprised when I decided to do 3 Applied questions. And both the statistics ones would you believe it, when statistics isn't my cup of tea at all
It's Q4 and I think probably 4 or 5 marks?
Original post by computerkid
How many marks would be assigned to finding the values of x and tantheta for that question? Can't remember which number question it was.
Original post by betterthanbarbs
How do you find Q12? I couldn't do the last part.

Someone else who did Q 12! I'm unsure about the last bit. I think I said that P(exactly one in right place) = n possibilities for that one * (1/n) probability that a specific one is in the right place * P(all others are in the wrong place)

And then P(n-1 others in wrong place) = 1 - P(at least one of n-1 others in right place) = 1 - (1 - 1/2! + 1/3! -...) so the final answer is 1/2! - 1/3! + ...

That might be complete rubbish though, I can never tell with probability questions like that.
I cant seem to find the link to the question paper, can someone post it please?
Original post by sweeneyrod
Someone else who did Q 12! I'm unsure about the last bit. I think I said that P(exactly one in right place) = n possibilities for that one * (1/n) probability that a specific one is in the right place * P(all others are in the wrong place)

And then P(n-1 others in wrong place) = 1 - P(at least one of n-1 others in right place) = 1 - (1 - 1/2! + 1/3! -...) so the final answer is 1/2! - 1/3! + ...

That might be complete rubbish though, I can never tell with probability questions like that.

Oh my god. I feel so terribly stupid now. I'd done the same sum long ago somewhere. But i just couldn't figure out/remember what should be done. So i even wrote in words that i know that the probability tends to 1-1/e as n grows very large, but i didnt know how to get there
Generally how did people find it, compared to previous years?
That was one rough STEP 2 exam - here's what happened to me:

Q1- Decided to start here but couldnt see the point (i.e couldnt interpret the 90 degree thing and kept staring at the question for a while) and so just wrote down tangents using general points (p^2,p^3) and (q^2,q^3) and then realised that p=-1/q and finally got the equation. Then found the graphs touch at x=0.5 (is this correct?) and drew graphs (hopefully fine). But the time penalty caused in the beginning haunted me through the whole exam.

Q7- Did the intro, (i) and (ii) but got stuck midway in (iii) when I got to a step where i had to integrate an expression very similar to (iv) but with x=u/2 (is this supposed to happen?) and so couldnt do (iv) either but wrote down a substitution for (iv). The time penalty from before was still in action so I had to leave the Q at this point.

Q6- This wasnt very nice towards the end. Did (i) and (ii) and found y2n thing in (iii) but couldnt do the show that in (iii) correctly after attempting to differentiate z(x). In (iv) I just differentiated v(x) and tried creating a differential equation but failed.

Q9- Did (i) correctly but got nowhere really in (ii). I dont know whether my methods were correct in (ii) or whether there were errors in that as well. I just tried to use momentum once and tried doing something for b and c after that (attempted to use a relative acceleration but idk whether thats correct) but I didnt get too far.

Q4 - Did the first part (hopefully correctly) and the show that in (ii) I think I tried to find x and tan(theta) after that but failed and left the Q.

Q11- With a bare 20 min left I took this up hoping to do at least (i) but I got lucky and managed to do both (i) and (ii) except for the final explanation which I didnt get (and at which point I had just 2 min or so left which wasnt helping my brain) so i guess this Q can be called an almost full maybe?

Anyways what do u guys think I'll get ?
(edited 7 years ago)
STEP II was impossible. No idea how you guys do this stuff, it's ridiculous. Everything is so vague

Just like STEP I, I was unable to get a full solution. Just instead this time I only read 3 questions whereas I at least tried 6 in STEP I.
Original post by krishdesai7
Oh my god. I feel so terribly stupid now. I'd done the same sum long ago somewhere. But i just couldn't figure out/remember what should be done. So i even wrote in words that i know that the probability tends to 1-1/e as n grows very large, but i didnt know how to get there

I think that part of the question will probably only be worth a couple of marks. Glad to know I got it right though!
Original post by Zacken
Pretty horrid, It's unlikely that I'll get into Cambridge unless I get an S in STEP III to make up for the 2 I've gotten in this paper. I got 2 fulls (one of which I made a mistake on) and 4 partials, none really worth more than 10 marks.

That sounds really similar to my experience, about 45 minutes in I actually thought to myself 'I wonder what I'll do on my gap year'... I did Q3 and 12 fully (at least, I hope I got the last part of 12 right); 6,8,11 slightly more than half done; and 7 about half done.
People who did 12, if the answer they gave you for the probability of at least 1 out of n being in its correct place is f(n), then isnt the probability of exactly one being in its right place n(1-f(n-1)) as you choose 1 card to be in its right place in n ways then times by the chance that all the other n-1 are in the wrong place?

Q1- Decided to start here but couldnt see the point (i.e couldnt interpret the 90 degree thing and kept staring at the question for a while) and so just wrote down tangents using general points (p^2,p^3) and (q^2,q^3) and then realised that p=-1/q and finally got the equation. Then found the graphs touch at x=0.5 (is this correct?) and drew graphs (hopefully fine). But the time penalty caused in the beginning haunted me through the whole exam.

Q7- Did the intro, (i) and (ii) but got stuck midway in (iii) when I got to a step where i had to integrate an expression very similar to (iv) but with x=u/2 (is this supposed to happen?) and so couldnt do (iv) either but wrote down a substitution for (iv). The time penalty from before was still in action so I had to leave the Q at this point.

Q6- This wasnt very nice towards the end. Did (i) and (ii) and found y2n thing in (iii) but couldnt do the show that in (iii) correctly after attempting to differentiate z(x). In (iv) I just differentiated v(x) and tried creating a differential equation but failed.

<br>Q9- Did (i) but got nowhere really in (ii). I dont know whether my methods were correct or whether there were errors in that as well in (ii). I just tried to use momentum once and tried doing something for b and c after that (attempted to use a relative acceleration but idk whether thats correct) but I didnt get too far.

Q4 - Did the first part (hopefully correctly) and the show that in (ii) I think I tried to find x and tan(theta) after that but failed and left the Q.

Q11- With a bare 20 min left I took this up hoping to do at least (i) but I got lucky and managed to do both (i) and (ii) except for the final explanation which I didnt get (and at which point I had just 2 min or so left which wasnt helping my brain) so i guess this Q can be called an almost full maybe?

Original post by This Saturday
Generally how did people find it, compared to previous years?

About average, maybe slightly harder. But I found 2011 II easy, so I may be atypical.
Original post by Gunawardana

I didn't do 4, 9 or 11 so I have no idea what you'll get for those. For Q7 I think maybe 9-12 marks?
Original post by Zacken
Pretty horrid, It's unlikely that I'll get into Cambridge unless I get an S in STEP III to make up for the 2 I've gotten in this paper. I got 2 fulls (one of which I made a mistake on) and 4 partials, none really worth more than 10 marks.

Being honest if you found a paper tough - it was a tough paper. I'd bet anything that you've done much better that 2 fulls and 4 partials in STEP II papers plenty of times before, so you should be expecting lower grade boundaries no? Did you find it considerably harder that usual ones?
Original post by Gunawardana

<br>Q9- Did (i) correctly but got nowhere really in (ii). I dont know whether my methods were correct in (ii) or whether there were errors in that as well. I just tried to use momentum once and tried doing something for b and c after that (attempted to use a relative acceleration but idk whether thats correct) but I didnt get too far.

1-18-20 (check the graphs on wolfram)
7- 12-13
6- 10
sorry cant help you with 9 or4
11- 15-16 (felt maybe the last part was the important part bringing i) and ii) together of the question but idk)
Can someone please explain how you draw graphs when there's tons of variables?

Like the fn(x) one? Drawing the graph for a specific n value is hard enough how do you draw a general graph to cover all n values??

All I was able to see is that if n = infinity then f(x) was the exponential graph but that's not going to help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending