The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tridianprime
I obtained (ycostheta + sintheta)^2 >= the expression on the RHS(?)
(via the discriminant of the original equation in x)
and then for the next part it said deduce the same for y^2 + 1 >=.

Do you mean rearrange from the original equation again?

i did what riquix wrote
q4 solution:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by shamika
I must've meant 99 / 75 / 65 (I can't find the PM I sent to Insight on this, which had my best estimate at the time). I can only remember the 99 boundary as that was the one I spent the most time estimating.

Let me look at Q6 and Q3 again...

I think you said it was similar to 2009 and had 99 / 70 / 61 (which I'd be ecstatic with) since that might mean I could actually scrape a 1.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
I think you said it was similar to 2009 and had 99 / 70 / 65 (which I'd be ecstatic with) since that might mean I could actually scrape a 1.

70 / 65 would be weird boundaries, with such a narrow range of marks for a 2.
Hey,

For the last integral on question 7, I simply divided top and bottom by cos^2(x) leaving (xsec^2(x))/(1+\tanx) using parts, as u = x, v ' as the the rest, it turns out as pi/4(ln2) - previous answer. Giving you the previous answer.

Sorry, LaTeX isn't working for me :/
Reply 125
Original post by sweeneyrod
70 / 65 would be weird boundaries, with such a narrow range of marks for a 2.

Sorry, I meant 61 - not 65.

...although, STEP II 2015 had 68 for a 1 and 60 for a 2.
Original post by Zacken
Q1 and 3 were trivial. Q6 was near impossible. I've heard of only 1 person managing the last part of Q6 out of 30 or so of the more able people. Any guesses for the mark distribution of Q6?

Edit to add: you've said it was on the easier side and then given lower boundaries for a 1 than 2010-2014?

Hmm, i thought 1 and 3 were rather easy too. I feel very silly for not attemoting 3. Using induction twice works for the last part of 6, that's what I did. But i was running out of time and the working eas taking far too long so I wrote it in a very haphazard way and I'm probably getting no marks for it
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, I meant 61 - not 65.

...although, STEP II 2015 had 68 for a 1 and 60 for a 2.

Yeup, i saw that yesterday too. Its a bit odd isnt it?
Original post by shamika
I must've meant 99 / 75 / 65 (I can't find the PM I sent to Insight on this, which had my best estimate at the time). I can only remember the 99 boundary as that was the one I spent the most time estimating.

Q6 I went "differential equations" and hence easy :tongue:

Let me look at Q3 again, from memory I couldn't see how to do the second part immediately :colondollar:

That is too high.
Although they were nice topics. Questions like the DE were hard.
96?,70 is my guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I was doubting myself because Zacken said I didn't originall estimate 99 / 70 / 60 (I actually said 61 instead but whatever).

But I still think that is my best guess to date: 99 / 70 / 60. I'm also not sure comparing only to 2010 onwards is right either. Especially if Q1 and Q3 were easy then I think that is a reasonable guess.
Original post by shamika
All I was doubting myself because Zacken said I didn't originall estimate 99 / 70 / 60 (I actually said 61 instead but whatever).

But I still think that is my best guess to date: 99 / 70 / 60. I'm also not sure comparing only to 2010 onwards is right either. Especially if Q1 and Q3 were easy then I think that is a reasonable guess.

I didn't think Q 1 was super easy, and Q 3 required more creativity than typical easy questions. That said, I think your estimates might be slightly too low if anything, I'd say maybe 71-75 for a 1. I don't really know though.
Could somebody predict my mark:
I managed question three but my reason for the even case was wrong.
I did the integral question but didn't manage the last integral.
I managed questions 9 and 10.
I did question 12 but got the final part incorrect.
I did the question about approximating the sum of 1/x^2 and 1/x^4 which I think was right.
Reply 132
Original post by shamika

I hope you're correct. Many thanks!
Original post by Ewanclementson
I did the question about approximating the sum of 1/x^2 and 1/x^4 which I think was right.

18, 15, 20, 20, 17, 20 by the sounds of it (if the last question was a full). Certainly an S.
Hmmm... I think I made really strange things at Q6. Attached my solution for the (iv) part

TSR.jpg

For overall I solved completely Q1, Q3, Q4, Q5. I did this at Q6 and started Q7 but only reached the (i) part.
Reply 136
Original post by Ewanclementson

Q9: Could you go back to page 4 and check if the solution I posted is correct or not? Also, did the question ask for b and c in terms of a, m, M, and u, and NOT R, m, M, and u?
(edited 7 years ago)
What was Q11? I'm sure I did it, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Ooh, was it particles? Bullet fired from the top of a tower, target fired from the ground.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by farryharnworth
What was Q11? I'm sure I did it, but I can't remember what it was.

Edit: Ooh, was it particles? Bullet fired from the top of a tower, target fired from the ground.

Yep
I cant find the question paper? Can someone post a link to it please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending