The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 - 17th June, 2016 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hogree
Anyone just to confirm - Prim's Algorithm is the one where you don't cross out arcs as you write them down, and Kruskal's is the one where you do? Right?

Prim's algorithm compares the available edges/arcs from the nodes which are currently available to choose from (looking for the shortest available).

Kruskal's algorithm compares the weight of the edges/arcs from an ordered list of all edges/arcs listed at start.
Original post by themechguy
What? How did you find this? What new method!!?

Our teacher told us about the Redfern Arrangement method, lit makes it so much easier.
Original post by centraltrains
Isn't D1 discontinued for reforms anyway as most of D1 is in Computer Science paper 2...

Nope, D1's still going strong; it's just had it's difficulty increased slightly and grade boundaries increased.
Original post by themechguy
What? How did you find this? What new method!!?

The grade boundary thing is a lie.
Prim's algorithm compares the available edges/arcs from the nodes which are currently available to choose from (looking for the shortest available).

Kruskal's algorithm compares the weight of the edges/arcs from an ordered list of all edges/arcs listed at start.

I know that, but in one, you have to write down your rejections and in the other you don't.

Quite Urgent We don't need to know anything about the Hamiltonian Cycle do we?
Original post by miless090
Obvious lie. Grade boundaries come out inAugust and are always around the 60 mark for an A.

If you look at the grade boundaries from edexcel D1 the mark for an A is generally between 60-70 marks. Edexcell have also posted on their website that their grade boundaries are going up across the board, in C1, C2. FP1 ec. I may still be wrong but edecel have been being a bit harsher than usual recently.
Original post by hogree
I know that, but in one, you have to write down your rejections and in the other you don't.

Don't think we need Prim's or Kruskal's either. Teacher said that Edexcel are cutting out the "easier" stuff, so we will only be using Dijkstra's and Redfern's.
Original post by hogree

Kruskal's is the one where you go from the list and accept/reject the arcs/edges from the ordered list.

I have never come across the Hamiltonian Cycle, not in the textbook so I don't think it will.. Always helpful if it comes up as a further reading thing?
Original post by LeFatOaf
Don't think we need Prim's or Kruskal's either. Teacher said that Edexcel are cutting out the "easier" stuff, so we will only be using Dijkstra's and Redfern's.

Do you have any links to resources on Redfern's? Never heard of it and not in textbook e.e
I doubt the grade boundary for an A will be 71, but I imagine it will increase to about 64/65
Do you have any links to resources on Redfern's? Never heard of it and not in textbook e.e

It's a fairly new concept, our teacher got it by word of mouth from edexcel. Surprised your teacher hasn't heard/taught you this.
Guys he's a troll just ignore him
Original post by AdamASmith
I doubt the grade boundary for an A will be 71, but I imagine it will increase to about 64/65

The grade boundary is usually around that mark anyway:

In the June 2013 paper it's 65
In January 2012 it's 67
In January 2011 it's 66
-these are just the papers I've done recently
Original post by LeFatOaf
It's a fairly new concept, our teacher got it by word of mouth from edexcel. Surprised your teacher hasn't heard/taught you this.

Eek! Better send an email to teacher! Can't find anything on google!
Original post by AdamASmith

You haven't done the exam yet... what is this guess based..?
Original post by SugarCoatedCart

The current grade boundaries are about 64-67 marks for an A and Edexcel have said, on their website, that they plan on raising grade boundaries for the D1 paper by about 4-5 marks.
Reply 598
why is x less than 31 in June 2015 IAL ?
Original post by SugarCoatedCart

If what people are saying is true, that the grade boundaries are going to rise, and based on the grade boundaries for June 2015 and June 2014, it would make sense to assume that the boundary for an A would be around that figure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending