The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics P3 higher tier Unofficial Markscheme 2016

Right, that exam was awfully hard... Let's make a mark scheme guys. Please put in any questions or answers you can, preferably with question number if you can remember it. I'll try to keep updating it as best I can, but i'm only human :wink:

ALSO, THIS MARK SCHEME IS VERY INCOMPLETE AND NOT ALL THE ANSWERS ARE HERE, SO DON'T EXPECT IT TO BE 100% CORRECT

a) Why was electromagnet better for sorting rubbish? (1 mark)
Because it can be switched on and of/activated and deactivated OR it is more powerful than a normal magnet
b) How can the students use this equipment to create an electromagnet, and test it - and vary its strength? (6 marks)
Wrap Insulated wire around nail. Suspend in the wooden clamp. Attach to power supply with connectors. put paperclips under and increase power until paperclip is attracted OR set to certain power and lower until paperclip is attracted. Then repeat with different height/power.

Unknown Question numbers/answers:

2 - Radiation/ultrasound Questions
Calculation: 0.08m or 0.04m divided by 110x10^-6 or 50x10^-6, We're not sure yet (but I think the answer is 1600 m/s) (3 mark)
Why is X-rays not used with unborn babies?: X-ray causes ionisation which are damaging to the foetus' cells, causing them to become mutant and divide uncontrollably. This leads to cancer. (3 marks)
How does an X-ray work question: X-rays emitted toward a photographic CCD. Hard tissue like bone absorbs the rays, making them white on the image, but softer tissue allows them to pass through (3 mark)
Question on wavelength: Shorter (1 mark)

3 - Stability Questions
What is meant by the 'centre of mass'?: the point where the mass appears to be concentrated (1 mark)
Why is tower B more unstable than A?: narrower base, higher centre of mass (2 mark)
Why doesn't this tower fall over?: The line of action of the weight lies within the base so there is no resultant moment causing it to topple (2 mark)

4 - Foot peddle and drums/Moments questions
What is meant by moment of the force: A DICTIONARY DEFINITION: "A measure of the turning effect produced by a force about an axis.The magnitude of the moment is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force" (1 mark)
1.5 N force from toe. 0.20m from pivot to the chain. 0.12m from pivot to toe: 0.9N??? (3 marks)
Graph showing different lengths of drum hinges compared to volume of sound produces at different forces (3, 6, 9 newtons) (2 mark)

5 - Eye correction/lenses/Ray trace diagram questions
Critical angle (2 significant figures): 1/1.5 = 0.6666.. sin^-1(0.6666..) = 42 degrees (3 mark)
(image was formed behind object, magnified, and was virtual because the lines on the other side of the lens did not converge)??? (3 mark)
Reason for long longness: Lens in eye too weak OR eyeball too short (1 mark)
Source of energy for cutting cornea: LASER (1 mark)
Describe how the image changes if the bulb was moved from N to M (3 mark)
The image would become smaller, it would become real and it would become inverted.
C/B lens question: draw the lens fatter??? (1 mark)

Grade boundaries are looking low too. From a purely personal viewpoint (don't take these 100% seriously, It's just my opinion) these are what i think the boundaries will be:

A* - 40
A - 34
B - 28
C - 23
D - 17
E - 12

(P.S. Below are some mark schemes for the P2 exam you wonderful physicists might want)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171131
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171228
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171902 --- This one is probably the best, well done to lily628 for making it
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1)a) What was electromagnet better for sorting rubbish?
1)b) How can the students use this equipment to create an electromagnet, and test it - and vary its strength?
Reply 2
lol bored so found myself on here, if you know any questions and any calculations with all the right numbers i can answer them, dunno what the question said about the electromagnet but vary the current to vary its strength or number of coils
Reply 3
Original post by brotherteresa256
Right, that exam was awfully hard... let's make a mark scheme guys.

The Ray diagram was in front of the focal point so it was magnification I think
Was the question about the image changing with the object asking you to describe how the image changed as the object got closer to or further away from the lens? I can't remember!!
paper was disgusting. Ecstatic that I can finally forget Physics
Don't know which question it is but there was one that asked for the equipment used to do the eye surgery that had heat or something? I put a laser...
Original post by dianmian12
Don't know which question it is but there was one that asked for the equipment used to do the eye surgery that had heat or something? I put a laser...

I wrote the same.
Reply 8
Wasn't the best exam yet. My last one though so I'm happy i can now have holiday!!!
Agreed OP that was possibly the most horrible physics paper I have ever seen.... They added lots of little traps and tricks into the calculation questions and there were so many graphs, it was definitely less linear than the other physics past papers i did which i got As and A*s on all round. Questions were worth the same sort of marks that they were in past papers but in this paper there seemed to be more steps to the answer and everything just seemed more confusing. My only hope now is low grade boundaries because everyone in my school found it hard and seeing this is nice in a way because i know other people found it especially hard as well:smile:
Original post by Bulbasaur10
Was the question about the image changing with the object asking you to describe how the image changed as the object got closer to or further away from the lens? I can't remember!!

I think it said how does the nature of the image change as it moves towards M?
Original post by Annabel3315
I think it said how does the nature of the image change as it moves towards M?

Yes. That's what I thought, but was M closer to the lens than the original point or not..... :frown:? I am so worried!
(edited 7 years ago)
There was the question on the foot pedal and drums. You had to find out the force of the chain from the foot pedal (3 marks)
It said there was a 1.5 N force from toe I think. 0.20 from pivot to the chain. 0.12 from pivot to toe.
What did you all get for the answer?
Reply 13

if an object is closer to lens than its focal length a virtial image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object-magnified

when an object is further away from lens than focal length a real image is formed on the other side of the screen-could be magnified depends on distance.

magnification is the ratio of, image distance:redface:bject distance ,(from lens)
Original post by dianmian12
There was the question on the foot pedal and drums. You had to find out the force of the chain from the foot pedal (3 marks)
It said there was a 1.5 N force from toe I think. 0.20 from pivot to the chain. 0.12 from pivot to toe.
What did you all get for the answer?

I can't remember, but I worked it out as if the moments of both the chain and foot's forces were equal. I don't think I did it right though, but it wasn't really that clear...
I think answer was 0.9N but I got 9N
Original post by TSRPAV
if an object is closer to lens than its focal length a virtial image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object-magnified

when an object is further away from lens than focal length a real image is formed on the other side of the screen-could be magnified depends on distance.

magnification is the ratio of, image distance:redface:bject distance ,(from lens)

I put something like that, but I described how the image changed as the object moved closer to the lens, and am worried you were meant to describe it as it moved away (depending on where M was). I should have read it twice! I don't think I will lose all the marks though (hopefully....), plus the grade boundaries are looking to be very low....... :smile: :frown:
Yes. That's what I thought, but was M closer to the lens than the original point or not..... :frown: I am so worried!

No, I think it was further away. Aw don't worry, the grade boundaries will hopefully be low!! I hope so anyway
Original post by Annabel3315
No, I think it was further away. Aw don't worry, the grade boundaries will hopefully be low!! I hope so anyway

Oh well.... It's fine! Thank you! :smile:
I can't remember, but I worked it out as if the moments of both the chain and foot's forces were equal. I don't think I did it right though, but it wasn't really that clear...

I somehow put 0.18/0.08 which gave me a force of 2.25 N
It's probably wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending