The Student Room Group

In need of advice - Failed AS and Uni offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
The route you're talking about is called Adjustment and not clearing and lasts for only 5 days (including weekends). Applicants are only eligible if they meet and exceed the conditions of their firm offer (which may or may not reflect their predictions).

It's advertised as a lower risk option than clearing but given the very tight timescales, lack of good information, lack of understanding in the sector about how it works and general panic levels it can often end up much riskier as an option. Applicants have ended up placed at a university in adjustment against their wishes because the university misunderstood their request on the phone. In that case it's possible to lose accommodation at the original firm choice and the opportunity for another place through adjustment while going through a whole bunch of hassle sorting out the error.

Thanks for the clarification and additional detail. Surely though it's better than writing off a year and waiting? I imagine it's also somewhat easier to navigate the panic/tight timescales if you're prepared for it rather than "omg I somehow got straight A's!".
Original post by Elivercury
Thanks for the clarification and additional detail. Surely though it's better than writing off a year and waiting? I imagine it's also somewhat easier to navigate the panic/tight timescales if you're prepared for it rather than "omg I somehow got straight A's!".

It's better than a year sat on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle but most people can find something more worthwhile to use a gap year for and make a new application with time to do proper research.

The drop out rates for people who make rushed decisions in Clearing (and even for people who end up at their insurance) are very high...a year that you drop out of and have to reapply is a much more expensive mistake than a gap year.

With everything preparation is very important - but best to crack on with *after* exams are over. Then a bunch of research into other options (subjects that might not have been considered, universities that might not have been considered, universities that were in an applicants initial 5 choices but that were declined etc etc) is well worthwhile. A longlist of backup options to explore on results day is a great idea.

In the case of the OP I think they're worrying over nothing. I doubt they'll get a U in their maths AS, and even if they do I doubt it will have any impact on their application at all considering their subject choice (Biological Science) and likely university choices (RG but not Oxbridge/Imperial). I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with 5/5 offers. 84% of applicants to Biology at York got offers last year - that isn't a course that is picky about a duff AS level. http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-york-y50/biology-3-years-9000-c100-84808
Original post by Ebonites
Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Biology, Maths, Psychology and EPQ. The only AS I've sat this year has been maths, due to my other subjects being two year courses. I recently took the last module for maths, and it went horribly; the paper itself wasn't difficult but I ended up stressing myself out too much, therefore feeling incredibly sick and panicky during the exam (my head went fuzzy and I couldn't think, let alone solve calculations) and so I therefore only answered 1 full question out of 6 (I wouldn't say that it was a full-blown panic attack, but it was somewhat along those lines). My other two maths modules didn't go so well either, but for other reasons, however I was hoping to bring up the grade with this module as it's one I find easiest. Therefore, I'm expecting to get a U in my maths AS Level. I'm not too concerned about my maths A Level grade overall, as my school will allow me to carry it on and retake the module next year due to them being aware that I am usually a (reasonably) intelligent student and do much better in the exams. However, I'm worrying so much as uni's are going to see that AS grade, and probably won't even give me an offer. My other subjects are going well and I've been told that they're likely to predict me A's. How am I going to get an offer from a Russell group Uni with this maths AS grade? What can I do? Thank you to anyone that replies, it really really would help.

(I'm looking to study Biological sciences if that helps, preferably at York)

:frown:

Hi, sorry to hear you're feeling stressed.:frown: Sounds like you've had some really sound advice. If you're still worried you can take a look at our stress busting tips: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171051&p=65864277#post65864277

Good luck in your exams and fingers crossed! :smile:

Maddy - Birmingham City University
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hi, sorry to hear you're feeling stressed.:frown: Sounds like you've had some really sound advice. If you're still worried you can take a look at our stress busting tips: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4171051&p=65864277#post65864277

Good luck in your exams and fingers crossed! :smile:

Maddy - Birmingham City University

This would sound more genuine if you weren't copy and pasting the same message in reply to multiple threads
Original post by PQ
This would sound more genuine if you weren't copy and pasting the same message in reply to multiple threads

Busted. Sad I can't rep you again.
Reply 25
Original post by PQ
It's better than a year sat on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle but most people can find something more worthwhile to use a gap year for and make a new application with time to do proper research.

The drop out rates for people who make rushed decisions in Clearing (and even for people who end up at their insurance) are very high...a year that you drop out of and have to reapply is a much more expensive mistake than a gap year.

With everything preparation is very important - but best to crack on with *after* exams are over. Then a bunch of research into other options (subjects that might not have been considered, universities that might not have been considered, universities that were in an applicants initial 5 choices but that were declined etc etc) is well worthwhile. A longlist of backup options to explore on results day is a great idea.

In the case of the OP I think they're worrying over nothing. I doubt they'll get a U in their maths AS, and even if they do I doubt it will have any impact on their application at all considering their subject choice (Biological Science) and likely university choices (RG but not Oxbridge/Imperial). I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with 5/5 offers. 84% of applicants to Biology at York got offers last year - that isn't a course that is picky about a duff AS level. http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-york-y50/biology-3-years-9000-c100-84808

Thank you so much for all of your advice, it really has helped! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending