The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel English Literature 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I did not like the poem, but apparently I'm the only one?
Original post by Zakriah
I think you have isolated sections of the poem and have not taken into consideration the context of the poem as a whole. That would have come under evalutation. If you say that the poet views weddings as a mockery and thats your main point then you've ignored the last few lines of the poem in which he and the children are arguably happy to be there which would suggest he values the memories of the wedding. You may not get more than 24 marks in evaluation but what you mentioned for your analysis should definitely get you into band 4 for A02 and its original so you should score highly in A01

Forgot to say that in my conclusion i said that despite the negativity, the poet clearly shows an appreciation for the positive aspects of married life like children which are much more important so i kind of hit that in my final paragraph and conclusion :tongue: thank you though!
Original post by XiuXiu
haha, looks like we took pretty opposite directions. Im sure both interpretations are fine, it was a pretty tough one to write about.

I went on myself about how there is a sort of perfection in how everything fit together in the bit of the poem where there are just items listed, and how the narrator was getting all nostalgic about a sick bucket. Said that the rhyming during the 'listing' section of the poem shows the sort of harmony between the items, or some similar nonsense

I came up with more structural things than I did language things tbh. There was only so much you could analyse once you'd done the basic stuff. It was alright, couldn't think of as much as id have liked to. I'm sure you'll be fine, everybody struggles with the unseen I think

Same here, i spoke less about language, just imagery and lexical choice. Then for structure i did pentameter, heptameter, rhyming couplets, tone, lack of stanzas( was tempted to call it free verse, glad i didnt) and the meaning of the title. Oh and my form was a monologue because its all about the poet expressing his thoughts. I was going to write ballad because it felt song like but that didnt fit into my overall argument
Original post by kagehina
I did not like the poem, but apparently I'm the only one?

To be honest i had to read it like 4 times before i understood what it could be out and i thought the title was nasty, and omg the lack of stanzas completely threw me because i had revised quatrains, sestet, cinquain etc lol
Reply 64
Original post by Zakriah
Same here, i spoke less about language, just imagery and lexical choice. Then for structure i did pentameter, heptameter, rhyming couplets, tone, lack of stanzas( was tempted to call it free verse, glad i didnt) and the meaning of the title. Oh and my form was a monologue because its all about the poet expressing his thoughts. I was going to write ballad because it felt song like but that didnt fit into my overall argument

yeah, we're on the same lines. I didn't really bother mentioning the meter past a sentence since I couldnt think of a way to link to to my argument. I said it was a monologue also. I did lots on the irregular rhyming scheme

I think that the other person could be alright by saying it was a mockery. No wrong answers and all. I remember the children blushing at the end, so you could interpret that in a different way although it'd be way harder to argue imo

exams done for me now, yaaay
Hi, I think i've done something completely different to all of you actually…

I talked about the ambiguity of the speakers voice and how all though they kept repeating "this is why we are here" they didn't actually speak about the real reason. The fact that the speakers referred to themselves as "we've come here" "we've done this" was slightly unusual. I said how this created mystery as we have no idea who the speakers or children are.

Mentioned how the wedding seemed to be a very important one cause who else would have an museum keeping the most unusual things such as "jugs of morning air". The imagery recreated the wedding atmosphere and suggest it was a very lavish wedding. Talked about the ABAB rhyme scheme and how there was a break from "the freeze wedding cake..dress being crisp and vacuum packed". Spoke about the enjambement and listing that helped create a sense or urgency and mistrustfulness about the speaker.

Spoke about how unusual it was that the couple was referred to as "changed" from the line "man and woman changed to husband and wife" rather odd way to present a loved up couple unless of course it was possibly a member of the royals were arranged marriages and this level of publicity would have occurred.

-cant remember what else i said but this was the jist of it….what do you think??
- did anyone do the identifying self questions "in literature presentations of self are tied to time and place" (life of pi, great expectations and billycollins poems"
Original post by noratheexplorer

I talked about the ambiguity of the speakers voice and how all though they kept repeating "this is why we are here" they didn't actually speak about the real reason. The fact that the speakers referred to themselves as "we've come here" "we've done this" was slightly unusual. I said how this created mystery as we have no idea who the speakers or children are.

Mentioned how the wedding seemed to be a very important one cause who else would have an museum keeping the most unusual things such as "jugs of morning air". The imagery recreated the wedding atmosphere and suggest it was a very lavish wedding. Talked about the ABAB rhyme scheme and how there was a break from "the freeze wedding cake..dress being crisp and vacuum packed". Spoke about the enjambement and listing that helped create a sense or urgency and mistrustfulness about the speaker.

Spoke about how unusual it was that the couple was referred to as "changed" from the line "man and woman changed to husband and wife" rather odd way to present a loved up couple unless of course it was possibly a member of the royals were arranged marriages and this level of publicity would have occurred.

-cant remember what else i said but this was the jist of it….what do you think??
- did anyone do the identifying self questions "in literature presentations of self are tied to time and place" (life of pi, great expectations and billycollins poems"

I think i understand the overall meaning that you put forward. The idea this isn't the poet's own wedding but rather an observation of someone elses and everything that you point out links to that. I would have said that "changed" bit isn't unusual because man and woman implies the idea they are separate entities but the husband and wife suggests they are united as one, which could have been linked to the rhyme couplet. As long as you think everything you say links to your argument then it's fine. There's no correct interpretation. I know someone who said the poet was flicking through a photo album and reliving the memories of a wedding.
Original post by Zakriah
I think i understand the overall meaning that you put forward. The idea this isn't the poet's own wedding but rather an observation of someone elses and everything that you point out links to that. I would have said that "changed" bit isn't unusual because man and woman implies the idea they are separate entities but the husband and wife suggests they are united as one, which could have been linked to the rhyme couplet. As long as you think everything you say links to your argument then it's fine. There's no correct interpretation. I know someone who said the poet was flicking through a photo album and reliving the memories of a wedding.

Okay thats a relief, i wasn't sure if what id said was completely off!
Reply 68
can anybody remember the name of the poet of 'in the wedding museum' i want to try and find the poem online
Reply 69
For the poem I put that there was evidence of rhyme but also half rhyme is that right??? I didn't think there was a rhyme scheme :frown: I didn't think there was a regular meter either some of them were 10 syllables and some were 12 or 8??

I wrote about the alliteration in contrast with the plosives and how the discordant but also harmonious sounds create the idea that the speaker loves their wife/ husband but also it shows the more realistic side of love that it's not perfect. The uncoventional imagery associated with the wedding is unusual and also shows a realistic love.
I went with the interpretation that it was the speaker looking through a wedding album and inviting the reader to look as well.
I also said that the structure (uses caesuras and appears to be like a narrative) makes it less conventionally romantic but the use of only one stanza shows that this is only one moment in time and that the wedding was over rather quickly.
The asyndetic listing also gave it a rushed feel that suggests this as well but also suggests that weddings a stressful.
Spoke about the nostalgic and often romantic and sentimental tone stuff like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Poets name was Ronda something or something Randi...?
Reply 71
Original post by noratheexplorer

I like this interpretation actually, you could swing that just fine
Original post by cccc3
can anybody remember the name of the poet of 'in the wedding museum' i want to try and find the poem online

Roddy Lumsden :smile:
Original post by XiuXiu
I like this interpretation actually, you could swing that just fine

i feel a lot more relaxed now! thanks (:
Referred to the speaker as 'she' twice in the essay.. going to be down marked for accuracy :frown:
I reckon I scored 54/60 on section B
so hopefully around 30/40 for section A, enough for A*
Reply 75
Original post by Windies
Referred to the speaker as 'she' twice in the essay.. going to be down marked for accuracy :frown:
I reckon I scored 54/60 on section B
so hopefully around 30/40 for section A, enough for A*

I don't think they're that harsh (hopefully)
Guys i have a question. I only used one poem to compare to my novel which will of course negatively impact my A03 marks but if i did lots of interpretations which were analysed and evaluated could i still get band 4 in A03?
Reply 77
Original post by Zakriah
Guys i have a question. I only used one poem to compare to my novel which will of course negatively impact my A03 marks but if i did lots of interpretations which were analysed and evaluated could i still get band 4 in A03?

If you did it in explicit detail it shouldn't be as bad.
They say they don't like it when people use anthologies as token texts but also its not exactly the main text either so it's sometimes difficult to know how much you should be speaking about it. I only did 2 poems but did them explicitly (one of my paragraphs got to about 2 pages long :frown:) and my teacher said its ok. It's only if you briefly mention poems in like 2 sentences 3 or 4 times that won't get you good ao3 marks.
Original post by At1045
If you did it in explicit detail it shouldn't be as bad.
They say they don't like it when people use anthologies as token texts but also its not exactly the main text either so it's sometimes difficult to know how much you should be speaking about it. I only did 2 poems but did them explicitly (one of my paragraphs got to about 2 pages long :frown:) and my teacher said its ok. It's only if you briefly mention poems in like 2 sentences 3 or 4 times that won't get you good ao3 marks.

Oh well i did about a page for one poem and made some language links and theme links i.e Similarly the presentation of danger and threat can also be seen in Duffy's "Row". Similar to Fitzgerald, Duffy also uses cacophonous diction to create a dark atmosphere. However, Duffy is perhaps more effective because she uses the diction in conjunction with personification. Quote- explained.
There was a storm in the middle of my exam when I was on the War question... it put me off a bit, not that I should blame it but I think my argument went a little skewed after that. I think I did ok but I only had the conclusion to go and I didnt get to it :/ I did loads of A02 A03 and A04 though so fingers crossed!

I did the poem too, found it really good :smile: but I talked about different things to a lot of what you guys are saying, I said that the poem is rooted in nostalgia but its ironic because its like a museum, like they're outsiders and that the memory is preserved, with their wedding dress in a vacuum sealed bag, jars of morning air.. maybe they're looking through an album, I said the children could be theirs, and that time has progressed or it could be themselves in a photo, naive and 'blushing, ear to ear' i think the quote was. I also said there was a lot of humour and it was almost as if w/ the museum theme, the narrator is a tour guide 'lets go and look around' i dont think that was the quote but it was similar and I talked about the quotes 'torn in two' and 'split half and half'. something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending