The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M1 (Mechanics) 17th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by faxingstar
i can only remember that i got the angle to be 30?

I got the angle of 30 too but i struggles with the first parts of the question, i think my equations were: 4*9.8-T=4a and 4*9.8+T=8a and then got a as 12. something

Overall I didn't like this exam especially the beginning of section A and the end of section B
Original post by Akashbabuta
I thought it was 6m as v=0 when it changes direction no?

To be brutally honest I think I've done it wrong, I used s = 12 + AB, u = 8, t = 4 and a = 2
Original post by pettolrahc
I got the angle of 30 too but i struggles with the first parts of the question, i think my equations were: 4*9.8-T=4a and 4*9.8+T=8a and then got a as 12. something

Overall I didn't like this exam especially the beginning of section A and the end of section B

i think mine were t=8a and -t+4g=4a
Original post by faxingstar
i think mine were t=8a and -t+4g=4a

they seem right- i think i must have gone wrong, maybe i'll get ecf marks for the acceleration?
Original post by Crozzer24
I think I got distance as 20m, took t as 4, because it took 2 seconds to get to A and 6 seconds to get back to A.

I'm pretty sure u was 8, a was -2 and AB was 4m. He did hit the window (0.975m from ground) frictions was 12.5N, acceleration was 49/15 for a couple of them. Resultant acceleration when d=6.75 was 0ms-2. (Just some answers I could remember, ask me if you know the question you got stuck on and I'll probs remember the answer)
Reply 45
Yeah I got that aswell, what did you work the acceleration out to be then? @faxingstar
(edited 7 years ago)
What I can remember:

1. Frictional force = 12.5N

2. u = 8 m/s, a = -2 m/s/s
AB = 4m

3. a = 3.27 m/s
theta = 30 degrees

4. a = (0, -8) u = (2,6)
t=2, v = (2, -10) = 10.19 m/s
Rearrange to sub x into y equation for show that.

5. Did not reach pigeon since height reached (3.27m) less than 4.0m
Did hit window since 0.925m at x = 22.5m is in 0.8 to 2.0m range

6. Model A estimate = 320m (not in range of local data)
Derived from s = ut + 1/2at^2 with u = 0 and a = 10
Model B estimate = 275m (not in range of local data)
Model A assumed constant acceleration up to t=8; model B assumed terminal velocity reached at t=5
Model C estimate = 158.33m (in range of local data)
Models B and C both assumed terminal velocity reached; B assumed initial constant acceleration, C did not.

7. cos alpha and beta = 4/5 and 3/5
6000 * 0.8 = 8000 * 0.6 = 4800 therefore horizontal equilibrium so no horizontal acceleration
Use horizontal equilibrium; Tcosalpha = 8000cosbeta; rearrange
Use Pythagoras to use d^2 in formula instead of cos alpha/beta for show that.
Vertical acceleration = 3.27 m/s/s
When d = 6.75, vertical a = 0 (since total of vertical components of tensions were 7500 - equal to weight)
Cannot be in equilibrium at P since no vertical component of tension but weight of bomb.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alexw1812
I'm pretty sure u was 8, a was -2 and AB was 4m. He did hit the window (0.975m from ground) frictions was 12.5N, acceleration was 49/15 for a couple of them. Resultant acceleration when d=6.75 was 0ms-2. (Just some answers I could remember, ask me if you know the question you got stuck on and I'll probs remember the answer)

I must have got the sign wrong for a then lol. Rest of your answers seem same as mine
what was all the compare this to the local records bit about on the mine question? thought i'd signed up for maths not writing 3 essays on comparisons
For part 7 did the forces = 7500a or was it 7500/G a
Original post by Crozzer24
For part 7 did the forces = 7500a or was it 7500/G a

7500/g as 7500 was in newtons
Guys can we make an unofficial mark scheme
Original post by otherdan
What I can remember:

1. Frictional force = 12.5N

2. u = 8 m/s, a = -2 m/s/s
AB = 4m

3. a = 3.27 m/s
theta = 30 degrees

4. Don't fully remember the question.

5. Did not reach pigeon since height reached (3.27m?) less than 4.0m
Did hit window since 0.925m at x = 22.5m is in 0.8 to 2.0m range

6. Model A estimate = 320m (not in range of local data)
Derived from s = ut + 1/2at^2 with u = 0 and a = 10
Model B estimate = 275m?
Model A assumed constant acceleration up to t=8; model B assumed terminal velocity reached at t=5
Model C estimate = 158.33m
Models B and C both assumed terminal velocity reached; B assumed initial constant acceleration, C did not.

7. cos alpha and beta = 4/5 and 3/5
6000 * 0.8 = 8000 * 0.6 = 4800 therefore horizontal equilibrium so no horizontal acceleration
Use horizontal equilibrium; Tcosalpha = 8000cosbeta; rearrange
Use Pythagoras to use d^2 in formula instead of cos alpha/beta for show that.
Vertical acceleration = 3.27 m/s/s
When d = 6.75, vertical a = 0 (since total of vertical components of tensions were 7500 - equal to weight)
Cannot be in equilibrium at P since no vertical component of tension but weight of bomb.

I agree with these. I found the second part of the 'show that' question in 7 difficult, although someone has tried to explain it since, I thought the paper was OK if I'm honest. Question 7 was the most challenging part for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Qwertykeyboard15
I got distance of AB to be 4m... I completely messed the first question up 😣

That's what I got as well :| I didn't realise it was wrong
Original post by pettolrahc
7500/g as 7500 was in newtons

Knew it lol there's another 4 marks lol
Original post by Ohnis
That's what I got as well :| I didn't realise it was wrong

I think 4m is correct?
For the pigeon question, I set like 4=ut+1/2at^2, tried to solve it and said that there is no real root for the equation so it cant reach the pigeon? How do you guys solve this one?
Can anyone remember what the angle and force were in question 1?
Original post by prepdream
For the pigeon question, I set like 4=ut+1/2at^2, tried to solve it and said that there is no real root for the equation so it cant reach the pigeon? How do you guys solve this one?

Yeah I did the same. Perfectly good method
in the last 4 marker, sin(alpha) was 6.75/root(16^2+6.75^2) and sin(beta)was 4/5? then a was (8000sin(beta)+6000sin(alpha)-7500)*9.8 all over 7500?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending